PDA

View Full Version : $69 dollar house cleaning.

ARCPW
09-08-2009, 08:13 PM
This lady had contacted me about haveing 5 homes cleaned. I gave here a killer deal on all the home for her and her neighboros. I guess it shoes that it's not always the price that matters since she still wants to use me

"Hi Alex,
I lost a couple of those that were interested as someone advertised for powerwashing starting at $69....what can you do for 2 houses? I have seen your work and it is worth paying a little extra....we would like to also know the price of powerwashing our patio (not driveway, just back patio)
Thanks,
Kate

Do you guys have any ideas on what I can do extra to make she home stand out? I was thinking about adding somecar wax to give her home a shine. If you do that do you mix it with you wash or go back and apply it after you wash and rinse?

pressurepros
09-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Alex, I won't give you the answer but an anlaogy. I just saw a car advertised on TV for $199/month. What do you think would happen if I walked into my local Mercedes dealership and asked them what they could do since I saw that ad?

Start by explaining the difference between "starting at $69" and actually paying $69.

MPPAINTING
09-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Not for nothing, but why don't you keep doing what you've been doing. Just like she said, "I've seen you work before and its worth paying a little extra...". I'm sure she was offered the same deal and she still decided to go with you. I've found the people that jump on a cheaper price either don't know what it actually takes to do a quality job or think that everyone offers the same level of service but for a cheaper price. Most of the time they get what they want, a cheap job! Hopefully the $69 guy will prove to them why he only charges $69. I've been told it a million times as a painter, "Anyone can pick up and brush and a roller". This is true, anyone can pick up a brush & roller, but not everyone can make it look right when its done. Does that make any sense?

mike

Tom Stetina
09-08-2009, 09:20 PM
I would just give her the same deal you quoted and tell her your work is based on quality and quantity.
Odds are you going that "extra" mile wouldn't make a difference with the price shoppers.
I'd ask her to let you know what those $69 deals actually ended up costing. You might gain 3 customers next year, or you might lose 2. Mexicans work pretty cheap....

ARCPW
09-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Tom wow " They weren't Mexicans". I've seen the guys riding around and have other people tell me about them. If you need to make a racial derogatory remark like that and you need to know " they are 2 white guys" if that make's a diffrence. I dont tolarate racial surlurs in my house and I'm utterly disappointed in that.

Tom Stetina
09-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Tom wow " They weren't Mexicans". I've seen the guys riding around and have other people tell me about them. If you need to make a racial derogatory remark like that and you need to know " they are 2 white guys" if that make's a diffrence. I dont tolarate racial surlurs in my house and I'm utterly disappointed in that.

Sorry. Didn't mean to come off as racist. :-[ I did just see two Mexican hacks doing fleet washing in my area this weekend for $10/semi. But your absolutely right! I've seen WAY more white hacks doing cheap PWing in my area. I apologies for my statement.
Now are you going to call me a racist for saying "white hacks" ??? :lol:
I guess hacks can come in all colors of the rainbow my friend.... :D

ARCPW
09-08-2009, 10:59 PM
No I'm not calling you a racist it's the comment you made.

Tom Stetina
09-09-2009, 12:01 AM

I made a factual statement.
"Mexicans work pretty cheap"

You replied...
I dont tolarate racial surlurs in my house and I'm utterly disappointed in that.

:confused: :confused:

Sorry, didn't realize calling a Mexican a Mexican was a racial "slur". :confused:
What's the PC term for hard working, unemployed white AMERICAN dude these days????
Guess it's a "scab trying to feed his family" if they're cutting your throat on prices.

Go do your 2 out of 5 house washes and hope for the best! :thumbsup: Good luck friend! :)

cedarsam
09-09-2009, 12:20 AM
In my town, Mexican's opened a new store. I told someone about this and they looked horrified that I called them Mexican's. The next day, the store front was sporting a newly painted sign that read..."THE MEXICAN STORE"......lol
They didn't get the PCness memo, I guess.....lol
sorry, I got off topic, Good luck, also on the houses!

Squirtgun
09-09-2009, 12:24 AM

You replied...
I dont tolarate racial surlurs in my house and I'm utterly disappointed in that.

Sorry, didn't realize calling a Mexican a Mexican was a racial "slur". :confused:
What's the PC term for hard working, unemployed white AMERICAN dude these days????
Guess it's a "scab trying to feed his family" if they're cutting your throat on prices.

Go do your 2 out of 5 house washes and hope for the best! :thumbsup: Good luck friend! :)

I think the correct term is "employment challenged caucasian"

Guy B
09-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Alex, ease up Buddy!! :thumbsup: There was nothing in Tom's reply that was racial or what ever. Mexicans are from Mexico, Americans are from America, Canadians are from Canada, Get It?? I am part Native American. I know you are also a person of color, so tone it down, that stuff doesn't go on (racist crap) around here!!

spyderski
09-09-2009, 12:53 AM
we have a landscape company here straight up called, Mexican Landscaping. I laugh everytime i pass by it. You didnt throw out the race card either brother. All good.

dlopuszynski
09-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't care what country people are from or the color of their skin...as long as whomever they are...are Legal and insured. :D

cajun cleanin
09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
How is calling someone from the country of Mexico a mexican racist? What are you supposed to call them if you don't know their names?The brown guys in that truck over there?Somebody needs to take a chill pill on the racist card.Jeez!

Oh and by the way I'm from Louisiana and if any of you want to call me a Louisianian go right ahead it's all good.

JC
09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
imagine being called a New Jerseyian, now thats a real insult

pressurepros
09-09-2009, 02:41 PM
imagine being called a New Jerseyian, now thats a real insult

no shit! :lol:

Worse would be being called a Jersey Driver.

Bob Williamson
09-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Andy and I have a mutual friend from New Jersey. Andy always tells him that the car plates should read
"The what the f*** are you looking at state"

Squirtgun
09-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't care if you are black,brown,white,green or pink.I'm an equal opportinuty kind of person......

I hate everyone :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is something for you politically correct puzzies to think about.....I can't use the N word and if I do I stand a good chance at getting my azz whipped,but I can be called a "cracker,white trash,redneck and Honky" and if I whip the offenders azz for using a racial slur I get locked up for a hate crime.
Do you really think this is equal or right?Why the hell must I endure crap for the color of my skin without the opportunity to stand up for myself?Why is there an NAACP,but if the were a NAAWP it would cause riots?
Now don't fall back on the people of color are entitled because of the whole slavery thing.That $hit doesn't fly my family immigrated here in 1900 they were serf's(slaves/laborers) in the old country and no one in my family has ever owned another person.Oh yeah you notice they immigrated here,came through Ellis Island,became US citizen.They didn't get amnesty,no free health care or education.They worked and worked damned hard I might add to build a life here.
The racial card is bullshart.

Celeste
09-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Guys I'm sorry - but this "people of color" term cracks me up. 6 months out of the year I have more color than half the illegal population in North Carolina. In my "non-tanned" season, does that make me a "person of no color"? At the end of the day, every one of us, save true Native Americans are immigrants - we're AMERICANS. The border jumping beans that don't go legal deserve whatever slur you attach to them since they shouldn't have rights in our country anyway. But all AMERICANS are all different shades of DNA - and that's all it is, shades.

ARCPW
09-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Ya Now I think about it it really wasn't a rasicist remark. I just dont know why you would say " Mexican's work cheap". I just took it the wrong way....

4000PSI
09-09-2009, 04:26 PM

A union employee...

I just dont know why you would say "Mexican's work cheap".

I'll give you three guesses. And here's a hint -- Mexican's work cheap.

Thad
09-09-2009, 05:12 PM
How is calling someone from the country of Mexico a mexican racist? What are you supposed to call them if you don't know their names?The brown guys in that truck over there?Somebody needs to take a chill pill on the racist card.Jeez!

Oh and by the way I'm from Louisiana and if any of you want to call me a Louisianian go right ahead it's all good.

Yeah, but my wife is Creole from New Orleans and anyone who calls her 'Cajun' is gonna get it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

cpoulos2
09-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Over here in biloxi we call you louisiana boys coonasses. Is that racist?

Powerhouse John
09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Over here in biloxi we call you louisiana boys coonasses. Is that racist?

Is it me or is that funny as hell? :yes:

Tom Stetina
09-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Ya Now I think about it it really wasn't a rasicist remark. I just dont know why you would say " Mexican's work cheap". I just took it the wrong way....

No problem. It's all good.

I'm the same way about color. If you work an honest job, pay your taxes and try to compete on a level playing field, may the best person win.
I'm working on a construction site with 70 guys. 2/3 are Mexican guys trying to feed their families and I get along with them fine. Haven't met one I disliked yet!

Now, drug dealers, gang bangers and pimps of ANY color, THAT'S another story! :thumbsdown:

JC
09-09-2009, 07:41 PM

I'm the same way about color. If you work an honest job, pay your taxes and try to compete on a level playing field, may the best person win.
I'm working on a construction site with 70 guys. 2/3 are Mexican guys trying to feed their families and I get along with them fine. Haven't met one I disliked yet!

Now, drug dealers, gang bangers and pimps of ANY color, THAT'S another story! :thumbsdown:

How could the field NOT be level?

Its reminds me of that old saying - its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog

get it?

Tom Stetina
09-09-2009, 07:42 PM

You replied...

Here in Tn. they just call me a Yankee! :lol: I think cracker would be even less offensive! :P

Tom Stetina
09-09-2009, 07:53 PM

How could the field NOT be level?

By NOT paying taxes. Not having a drivers licence. NOT having car or business insurance. Living 10-20 in an apartment where the lease states 5! Stealing SS#'s to work illegally.
Got a letter from the IRS that someone in San Diego is trying to collect my death benefits from my SS card #. :mad:

You call THAT a level playing field??? :blink:

JFife
09-09-2009, 08:04 PM
The world had come to an end, with everything being dead with the exception of two animals. A skunk and a rabbit. The two furry creatures happened upon one-another on evening, and struck up a conversation. As they were talking, the rabbit said to the skunk:

"You know, I lived my whole life here on this earth and I never did know what I was."

The skunk replied, "Well, let's see. You have really big feet, two big ears, and you bounce around all of the time! So I guess that would make you a rabbit!"

The rabbit was excited and happy to finally know what he was.

Then the skunk said, "I too have always wondered what I was."

And the rabbit replied, "Well, you aren't completely black, but you aren't completely white either. And you stink really bad. So I guess that would make you a Mexican!"

Folks, the moral of this anecdote is that titles/labels don't matter. The only thing that matters is treating each other with the goodness and respect with which we'd want to be treated.

MPPAINTING
09-09-2009, 10:32 PM
whoa :eek: this went crazy real fast!

propressure
09-09-2009, 10:34 PM
I see this is headed to TGW. It needs to.

Guy B
09-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Amen Jon!! Great Post!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tom Stetina
09-10-2009, 12:31 AM
whoa :eek: this went crazy real fast!

No chit! And all I said was Mexican! :lol:

Chris
09-10-2009, 02:51 AM
I would just give her the same deal you quoted and tell her your work is based on quality and quantity.
Odds are you going that "extra" mile wouldn't make a difference with the price shoppers.
I'd ask her to let you know what those $69 deals actually ended up costing. You might gain 3 customers next year, or you might lose 2. Mexicans work pretty cheap....

Just found this thread.

Wow Tom, just assume that they are Mexican from that? That shows a lot about someone and their character, you know what they say when you "ASSume"? hahahahahahaha

Chris
09-10-2009, 02:54 AM

You replied...

It might just be your dumbass assumption that the people were Mexican what got him upset, too many "ASSumptions" out there in the world. You never know, more and more people from Mexico getting their papers so you don't really know if they are legal until you ask them. Do you bother to ask them or just keep on "ASSuming"????

Chris
09-10-2009, 02:55 AM

You replied...

That is funny Scott! hahahahahahaha :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lots of those guys here too. hahahahaha

Chris
09-10-2009, 02:57 AM
we have a landscape company here straight up called, Mexican Landscaping. I laugh everytime i pass by it. You didnt throw out the race card either brother. All good.

There are a lot of people that are proud of their heritage no matter where they are from.

Chris
09-10-2009, 02:58 AM
Guys I'm sorry - but this "people of color" term cracks me up. 6 months out of the year I have more color than half the illegal population in North Carolina. In my "non-tanned" season, does that make me a "person of no color"? At the end of the day, every one of us, save true Native Americans are immigrants - we're AMERICANS. The border jumping beans that don't go legal deserve whatever slur you attach to them since they shouldn't have rights in our country anyway. But all AMERICANS are all different shades of DNA - and that's all it is, shades.

That is funny and true! hahahahaha

I change from white to red to tan to darker tan during the summer and back to white in the winter. hahahahaha

Guy B
09-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Let it Die, Guys, let it Die!! :thumbsup:

propressure
09-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Let it Die, Guys, let it Die!! :thumbsup:

+1

offdutyfireman
09-10-2009, 07:38 AM
This one time, at band camp....

Pro Care
09-10-2009, 11:34 AM

Seems to me that these two terms don't really get along. How the hell can they be hard working if they don't have a job?

I know let's start a PW business! ;) I have worked on plenty of Construction Jobs, and I just love it when they break out that dirty old micorwave and cook for about 18 guys at lunch, and the other ten are sleeping behind the wood pile. Ever try to pull out 10 sticks of 16' long 2x4 when three dudes are sleeping on it. Kind of awkward. you feel like trying to be quit, then something inside says "Aww F--it!" and you just slam the boards down. :lol: ah, good memeories, those guys are funny as hell.

sorry my racism is sticking out again isn't it. :eek:

I really had no point in any of that, just had some good times to talk about. continue. . .

4000PSI
09-10-2009, 12:17 PM

Seems to me that these two terms don't really get along. How the hell can they be hard working if they don't have a job?

NOTE: I responded to Tom's post, but this is not directed at Tom.

+1. There seems to be a group of people who feel that because they work outside, or otherwise earn a living with their backs, they are automatically "hard working" despite being pretty damn lazy.They spent their youth being a slacker and now they only marketable asset they have is sweat. So they work in a trade. We all know these guys. They work construction for 2-3 months, get pissed off at the boss and quit, draw unemployment for a few months, get a different job, etc.Now, no local contractor wants them because everyone has figured out they suck. But somehow they get to label themselves as "hard working" and get interviewed on the news talking about how they "just can't find a good job".

Don't get me wrong, there is *nothing* wrong with earning a living by the sweat of your brow. But in my experience, "hard working" and unemployed" do not go together. The guy who is willing to bust his a** and put in the hours is the first one hired, the last one fired, and the one least affected by a layoff. Why? Because he has figured out that whether you are digging ditches or pushing paper, success or failure lies squarely on his shoulders.

John Doherty
09-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Why are there no caucasion employment challenged guys standing outside the convience store ready to hop in a truck with a stranger who doesn't speak their language to 'work hard' for $10-$15 per hour? :whistle:

dlopuszynski
09-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I love my family and friends!

JFife
09-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Why are there no caucasion employment challenged guys standing outside the convience store ready to hop in a truck with a stranger who doesn't speak their language to 'work hard' for $10-$15 per hour? :whistle:

John, they are too busy losing $-20.00/hr running their own PT pressure washing businesses!! :D

ALL SURFACE
09-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm changing my biz name to "White Guy Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning". :)

spyderski
09-10-2009, 05:00 PM
cracker might be a little more politically correct larry

ALL SURFACE
09-10-2009, 05:16 PM
cracker might be a little more politically correct larry

Hahaha! I be da Cleaning Cracker...Sounds like a guy cleaning for crack. LMAO :lol:

Tom Stetina
09-10-2009, 07:28 PM
[/quote]

[quote author=Tom Stetina link=topic=9066.msg121216#msg121216 date=1252465318]

+1. There seems to be a group of people who feel that because they work outside, or otherwise earn a living with their backs, they are automatically "hard working" despite being pretty damn lazy. They spent their youth being a slacker and now they only marketable asset they have is sweat. So they work in a trade. We all know these guys. They work construction for 2-3 months, get pissed off at the boss and quit, draw unemployment for a few months, get a different job, etc. Now, no local contractor wants them because everyone has figured out they suck. But somehow they get to label themselves as "hard working" and get interviewed on the news talking about how they "just can't find a good job".

Don't get me wrong, there is *nothing* wrong with earning a living by the sweat of your brow. But in my experience, "hard working" and unemployed" do not go together.
The guy who is willing to bust his a** and put in the hours is the first one hired, the last one fired, and the one least affected by a layoff.
Why? Because he has figured out that whether you are digging ditches or pushing paper, success or failure lies squarely on his shoulders.

Phil-I know you didn't direct this at me. But I have to disagree. Around THESE parts, it's more about who you know and who you bl*w!
I've seen lazy, incompetent,drunk drug addicts keep their jobs in big layoffs while great workers were shown the door. :thumbsdown: (or cute little local girls that flirt with the managers all night and do NOTHING in the way of working.)
The great workers usually aren't "from around THESE parts" if you catch my drift.

4000PSI
09-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Tom, it about who you know EVERYWHERE. You can find reasons for failure no matter where you are.

I can tell you this. Just based on our conversations here, I wouldn't hire you. Why? Because all hear is why you can't do something. I want someone who will tell me why they can.

Chris
09-10-2009, 10:34 PM

+1. There seems to be a group of people who feel that because they work outside, or otherwise earn a living with their backs, they are automatically "hard working" despite being pretty damn lazy.They spent their youth being a slacker and now they only marketable asset they have is sweat. So they work in a trade. We all know these guys. They work construction for 2-3 months, get pissed off at the boss and quit, draw unemployment for a few months, get a different job, etc.Now, no local contractor wants them because everyone has figured out they suck. But somehow they get to label themselves as "hard working" and get interviewed on the news talking about how they "just can't find a good job".

Don't get me wrong, there is *nothing* wrong with earning a living by the sweat of your brow. But in my experience, "hard working" and unemployed" do not go together. The guy who is willing to bust his a** and put in the hours is the first one hired, the last one fired, and the one least affected by a layoff. Why? Because he has figured out that whether you are digging ditches or pushing paper, success or failure lies squarely on his shoulders.

+10 Another Great post Philip!

Chris
09-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Tom, it about who you know EVERYWHERE. You can find reasons for failure no matter where you are.

I can tell you this. Just based on our conversations here, I wouldn't hire you. Why? Because all hear is why you can't do something. I want someone who will tell me why they can.

+10 Another Great post Philip.

I like how you tell it like how it really is and don't sugarcoat anything which is better anyway, better to be honest.

moody1
09-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I consider myself to be hard working. I have been employed every day of my life since the age of 16. My first "real" job (not including mowing lawns in Ohio or picking weeds in Arizona), was at McDonalds. I paid to put myself through college while also working full time. It is quite possible that I could lose my job this year due to budget cuts in my district. Last in, first out. Regardless of the economy, I promise you I will have a job within a week if I lose my current teaching position. Why? Because I have a wife and two children. If I have to go work at McDonalds or Taco Bell, then I will do it in a heartbeat. My sister is ten years younger. My parents raised her with different values. She remains unemployed because she thinks she is too good to work fast food. This is why many Americans cannot find a job. I promise you there are jobs out there. I have worked construction for the past two summers. I visited the owner of a small local excavation company two years ago, explained to him that I wanted the opportunity to work hard for him in the summers, told him I was willing to work a few days for free if he needed evidence of my work ethic, and I left that visit with a job. I know it is not always that easy, but if he said "no," then I would have gone somewhere else that day. My neighbor has been unemployed for a year since the company he worked for failed. He should be filling out applications every single day, making follow-up phone calls, and begging for opportunities, but he is too proud to do that. I guess you can be proud and on the couch, or humble and earning an income.

Likewise, if you are affraid of losing your job to illegal immigrants, then you have not done the work required to put yourself in a position of necessity. Most people are not in danger of losing their jobs to candidates who are uneducated and cannot speak English. If you are in danger of losing your job to an illegal immigrant, then you have a crap job to begin with. Like Carlos Mencia said, "how bad must your interview have been if you lost the job to a person who can't even speak English?" Likewise, if you run your PW business properly, then the jobs you lose to hacks are jobs you are better off not having. Anybody who seeks the $69 housewash, is a headache waiting to happen.

To avoid confusion, this post is not in response to any particular person, or any particular post.

moody1
09-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Also, anybody who is hungry or has dependents will work cheap if they have to. Not just Mexicans. It's the generalization that all Mexicans work cheap that some people might find offensive.

By the way, honky, cracker, and other slurs against whites are nowhere near as offensive as the N word. You can lie to yourself if you want, but there is no word that can be thrown at a white person that carries as much hate and history as the use of the N word. And there already is a National Association for the Advancement of White People, it's called the GOP. :D Just kidding, well kind of.

Squirtgun
09-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Also, anybody who is hungry or has dependents will work cheap if they have to. Not just Mexicans. It's the generalization that all Mexicans work cheap that some people might find offensive.

By the way, honky, cracker, and other slurs against whites are nowhere near as offensive as the N word. You can lie to yourself if you want, but there is no word that can be thrown at a white person that carries as much hate and history as the use of the N word. And there already is a National Association for the Advancement of White People, it's called the GOP. :D Just kidding, well kind of.

I'm glad you think none of the " white slurs" aren't nearly as offensive or hate filled.Try hearing them as you are getting curb stomped by 6 home boy and see if you think they aren't offensive.No you stupid shit I didn't mind the fractured eye sockets and jaw they didn't hurt at all and they eventually healed.Oh and forget ever catching who did it since they vanished into the night as fast as they jumped me.I mean I only got my ass beat for breaking down in the wrong part of town....Oh yeah and being white.During the whole beating I was reminded over and over my white trash cracker ass stopped in the wrong place.
It's been 19yrs I've moved past most of it.

NOw shut the $U(& UP

Powerhouse John
09-11-2009, 12:17 AM
It's the generalization that all Mexicans work cheap that some people might find offensive.

Why do you find it offensive that Mexicans have gained a reputation for working hard for little money? :confused:
And since you find it offensive, why aren't you pissed off at the Mexicans for achieving this? :confused:
I shouldn't assume anything, maybe you are pissed off at them and don't want them to reach the next level of working hard for more money.
I'm not going to accuse you of being racist but I hope you can understand where this question is comming from. Are you racist?

Powerhouse John
09-11-2009, 12:41 AM
And there already is a National Association for the Advancement of White People, it's called the GOP. :D Just kidding, well kind of.

If the GOP is for the advancement of white people then why is it that the Democrats are the ones constantly segregating the races? :confused:
Do you support this action by the Democrats? If so, are you a racist?

Chris
09-11-2009, 03:18 AM
I agree, there are many jobs out there and there are a lot of people from all races that are just too proud to work at the fast food places, wal mart, etc....

You will be suprised at how many people think that it is beneath them to make less than $16.00 per hour since they are used to making more than that but usually that is because they have a nice place to stay and someone else is paying the bills.

Take away the roof over their head and let them pay the bills or lose services and their ride and you will see them out there working or becoming homeless.

I see it all the time, lots of jobs in the paper and on tv but people just don't want to work or too lazy.

moody1
09-11-2009, 07:57 AM

I'm glad you think none of the " white slurs" aren't nearly as offensive or hate filled.Try hearing them as you are getting curb stomped by 6 home boy and see if you think they aren't offensive.No you stupid shit I didn't mind the fractured eye sockets and jaw they didn't hurt at all and they eventually healed.Oh and forget ever catching who did it since they vanished into the night as fast as they jumped me.I mean I only got my ass beat for breaking down in the wrong part of town....Oh yeah and being white.During the whole beating I was reminded over and over my white trash cracker ass stopped in the wrong place.
It's been 19yrs I've moved past most of it.

NOw shut the $U(& UP

I'm sorry to hear that something so terrible happened to you, but that still does not change the general meaning of the words. I was not referring to you or your specific circumstances, so I'm not quite sure what all of your anger towards me is about. I don't feel like I posted anything ignorant or off the wall, other than a joke about the GOP, so I really don't think it's appropriate on a discussion board to direct you anger over that situation at me. I'm glad you say you've moved past most of it though.

moody1
09-11-2009, 08:06 AM
It's the generalization that all Mexicans work cheap that some people might find offensive.

Why do you find it offensive that Mexicans have gained a reputation for working hard for little money? :confused:
And since you find it offensive, why aren't you pissed off at the Mexicans for achieving this? :confused:
I shouldn't assume anything, maybe you are pissed off at them and don't want them to reach the next level of working hard for more money.
I'm not going to accuse you of being racist but I hope you can understand where this question is comming from. Are you racist?

No, I don't understand where your question is coming from. I said it is a generalization that "some" might find offensive to say that "Mexicans work cheap." Most people can recognize that as a stereotype at face value. I don't think that pointing out that it's a stereotype makes me a racist. :confused: Also, I said nothing about "working hard" for little money. That is a spin you added to the stereotype to make it sound nicer. Why are you defending stereotypes? In general, your post makes no sense.

JFife
09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
How can that be offensive? It's just a reality, with nothing positive or negative attached to it. Is it offensive to say it is cheaper to hire high school kids? "Age discrimination?" Or is it offensive to assume it will be expensive to hire someone with a Harvard Law degree? Moody, people like you are ones that insinuate the negative tone of statements like these. You are the average self-loathing white guy who for some reason feels guilt for your plight in life. My guess is that you probably teach in an area with substantial minorities, and you've learned to get your self worth from being the white guy that "understands." Probably a "blue-eyed black man" as that Father Plueger guy was called. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in one of your classes to hear you apologizing for all of the evils of Whitey.

Expect to hear a lot more of this sort of thing. Anyone watch MSNBC much? The new battle cry for liberals is "racist." Starting about two months ago, I began hearing that a lot of the resistance to health care, etc. was rooted in racism. And that has obviously become an organized Talking Point. I heard a person on MSNBC speculate that "40-50%" of the people that go to tea parties are racists. I've heard multiple people say that the reason people were upset about Hussein speaking to students was because they were racists. I've heard many say that people want HusseinCare to fail becase they are racists. And of course, I heard that the guy that called Hussein out for lying was a racist. So the race card is officially being pulled at this point.

pressurepros
09-11-2009, 04:03 PM
One thing I find about stereotypes is that they seem to be hard rooted in truth.

Squirtgun
09-11-2009, 04:34 PM
[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that something so terrible happened to you, but that still does not change the general meaning of the words. I was not referring to you or your specific circumstances, so I'm not quite sure what all of your anger towards me is about. I don't feel like I posted anything ignorant or off the wall, other than a joke about the GOP, so I really don't think it's appropriate on a discussion board to direct you anger over that situation at me. I'm glad you say you've moved past most of it though.
[/quote]
My anger at you has noting to do with me taking an azz whipping because of the color of my skin.My anger over your comment is based on the fact that any racial slur is equally offensive no matter what your skin color.I said it before I'm an equal opportunity hater.....I hate anyone who is able to provide for themselves and their family and refuses instead taking the option of welfare.
AND NO....I'm not talking about those who fall on hard times and need a hand for the short term.I referring to those who have been milking the system for generations.They are the same who blame whitey(thanks Fife)for there plight in life as thought I or any other white man can take control over their personal circumstances.
I'll say this before I step away from this topic.Today being 9/11.....I like the black guy down the street,or the asian lady at the nail salon am an American.The single largest event in recent US history that united this country without color involved needs to be remembered today.God bless the families that lost loves ones 8yrs ago today and God bless this country while it's controlled by the current administration.

ABM Cleaning
09-11-2009, 05:15 PM
The single largest event in recent US history that united this country without color involved needs to be remembered today.God bless the families that lost loves ones 8yrs ago today and God bless this country while it's controlled by the current administration.
+100 :thumbsup:

Powerhouse John
09-12-2009, 12:13 PM

No, I don't understand where your question is coming from. I said it is a generalization that "some" might find offensive to say that "Mexicans work cheap." Most people can recognize that as a stereotype at face value. I don't think that pointing out that it's a stereotype makes me a racist. :confused: Also, I said nothing about "working hard" for little money. That is a spin you added to the stereotype to make it sound nicer. Why are you defending stereotypes? In general, your post makes no sense.

It's a stereotype because it's a generalization but the fact remains, it's a reputation that Mexicans have achieved and it's a very beneficial reputation for those that do.
You didn't say anything about "working hard" for little money but that's not spin that I added "to make it sound nicer". It's part of the reputation they have achieved but evidently it doesn't fit in your thought process so you just omit that part.

My point is, you're looking at this in the most negative way possible. Your objection to it works to squash a beneficial reputation that has been earned by all hard working Mexicans. Look at it differently and you'll realize you're on the wrong side of this.

moody1
09-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I'm on the wrong side. You are saying that it is a good thing when people refer to Mexican's as ALL working cheap. Look back at the beginning of this thread. When Mexicans working cheap was first mentioned IN THIS THREAD, was it in a positive way?
Like:
Hey those Mexicans sure do awesome work for very little money. Man I'm going to quit cleaning houses because I just cannot compete with the great work ethic that Mexicans have for low pay.

Is that what was being said? Because that is what you are claiming. I was simply stating that it is a stereotype and generalization. And in case you forgot how to read, yes you are the one who brought up the spin about working hard. That was found NOWHERE in any previous post in the thread. So, I guess you can rewrite and repost if you want to make me wrong, but I have not implied anything in any of this, just stated the facts. You somehow see stuff that isn't there. And you don't see what is there.

Powerhouse John
09-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I'm on the wrong side. You are saying that it is a good thing when people refer to Mexican's as ALL working cheap. Look back at the beginning of this thread. When Mexicans working cheap was first mentioned IN THIS THREAD, was it in a positive way?
Like:
Hey those Mexicans sure do awesome work for very little money. Man I'm going to quit cleaning houses because I just cannot compete with the great work ethic that Mexicans have for low pay.

Is that what was being said? Because that is what you are claiming. I was simply stating that it is a stereotype and generalization. And in case you forgot how to read, yes you are the one who brought up the spin about working hard. That was found NOWHERE in any previous post in the thread. So, I guess you can rewrite and repost if you want to make me wrong, but I have not implied anything in any of this, just stated the facts. You somehow see stuff that isn't there. And you don't see what is there.

No, I am saying that Mexicans have built a reputation of working hard for little money and that is beneficial.

If you want to go back to the begining of the thread, I'll just quote it;

"I would just give her the same deal you quoted and tell her your work is based on quality and quantity.
I'd ask her to let you know what those $69 deals actually ended up costing. You might gain 3 customers next year, or you might lose 2. Mexicans work pretty cheap...."

I fail to see what your problem is. The person is giving selling advice based on his quality as oposed to quantity. What is your problem with this? They are both ligitimate angles for doing business. And then he states that Mexicans work pretty cheap. What's your problem with this? It's a well earned reputation that's benificial to many Mexicans.

My point is, you're looking at this in the most negative way possible. Your objection to it works to squash a beneficial reputation that has been earned by all hard working Mexicans. Look at it differently and you'll realize you're on the wrong side of this.

ARCPW
09-12-2009, 10:33 PM
MAN This looks like I opened a can of worms that can just go on forever. I did over react in my reply to the comment. I had no idea that this would go on for this long.

cpoulos2
09-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah im ready for this dog to die!! :thumbsup:

Tom Stetina
09-13-2009, 01:18 AM
I agree, there are many jobs out there and there are a lot of people from all races that are just too proud to work at the fast food places, wal mart, etc....

You will be suprised at how many people think that it is beneath them to make less than $16.00 per hour since they are used to making more than that but usually that is because they have a nice place to stay

I used to make $18/hour as a print shop production manager. All the benefits. All the perks.

Now I'm cleaning up after illegal Mexicans on construction sites for $8/hour and I'm damn happy to even have THAT!

Every day van loads of illegals show up on the site. They are all hired immediately! Legal white guys trickle in with experience and are turned away because they will have to be paid on the books. :thumbsdown:
I don't blame the Mexicans. They just want to work and feed their families and most of them are good guys. I blame the greedy white contractors that want to skirt the system and put more cash in their own wallets for less work.

I remember a speech that Mexico's old president gave along side his buddy GW Douche when they were both trying to figure out how to get more illegals in the US.
He said Mexicans will do the jobs that even BLACK Americans won't do! Now, if anything should piss off a black person, it's THAT!!! :lol:

Guy B
09-13-2009, 02:46 AM
Bob, could you either lock or move this stupid A$$ thread!! I mean really guy's, this crap has gone on way too frigg'in long!! :thumbsdown:

Even if all the Mexicans disappeared, there would be another class of people to take their place, then you could piss & moan about them!!

They, or no one else like them bother me because I work just as hard or harder than they do, everyday!!

Hey I got a great idea, GO WASH SOMETHING!! :thumbsup:

moody1
09-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Bob, could you either lock or move this stupid A$$ thread!! I mean really guy's, this crap has gone on way too frigg'in long!! :thumbsdown:

Even if all the Mexicans disappeared, there would be another class of people to take their place, then you could piss & moan about them!!

They, or no one else like them bother me because I work just as hard or harder than they do, everyday!!

Hey I got a great idea, GO WASH SOMETHING!! :thumbsup:

I agree. I was originally only trying to point out how SOME people could see it as offensive. For that, I've been called a lot of things, and accused of a lot of things. I'm done.