Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cougar Paws

Re: Cougar Paws

Just curious, what do you guys do when the crap in the gutters are wet from recent rains, etc....we always hand clean all gutters to eliminate cleaning the mess on the ground
    Jeff
    ABM Cleaning
    Greensboro, NC
    336-558-3052
    www.abmcleaning.net

It is easier and cheaper for me to blow the wet stuff out and rinse the building if needed. In the pouring rain it rinses itself. We spread the debris in the common natural areas.
    William
    Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter.

My main concern with roof walking is workmen's comp. If a person does a good amount of roof walking and is honest with their carrier, they will be paying 50-60 cents per every dollar of payroll on WC insurance (the roofer's rate). David Vicars falling is a grim reminder of the risks. I feel David is a cautious and competent guy yet accidents can and will happen. More important than Cougar Paws or any type of traction wear is to have a safety harness if you are going to be walking a roof. David now has to go through multiple surgeries and may be down for the majority of the season. Another reminder of the fragility of being an owner operator.

[quote author=pressurepros link=topic=10503.msg139479#msg139479 date=1275260442]
    If a person does a good amount of roof walking and is honest with their carrier, they will be paying 50-60 cents per every dollar of payroll on WC insurance (the roofer's rate).[/quote]

Are you saying William will have to raise his price from $12/unit to $18/unit to cover the increased costs of the roofing WC rate?

I have a better idea, instead of charging $12 to clean the gutters on a unit of condos 3 stories high. Rent out a lift and charge $240/unit.

Daniel Tambasco
    (978)749-9808
    'Oh, they're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.' -George Hanson, Easy Rider

My problem was working on old roofs with loose granules and not necessarily always the pitch. Do they grip the 'unstable' surface as well?

Not really. Unstable is unstable. Dan, you are hilarious. Ken, you need a better insurance guy. $240 a unit. Yes sir the price to clean out the gutters on your building will be $1200. Sorry we had to go up $1140 from 3 months ago. W/C for me is 7 cents on the dollar under a painting/roofing write up that limits me to three stories. There is no write up for pressure washing. Anything over three stories means an additional purchase of temporary coverage.
    William
    Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter.

[quote author=offdutyfireman link=topic=10503.msg139484#msg139484 date=1275267867]
    Not really. Unstable is unstable. Dan, you are hilarious. Ken, you need a better insurance guy. $240 a unit. Yes sir the price to clean out the gutters on your building will be $1200. Sorry we had to go up $1140 from 3 months ago. W/C for me is 7 cents on the dollar under a painting/roofing write up that limits me to three stories. There is no write up for pressure washing. Anything over three stories means an additional purchase of temporary coverage.
    [/quote]

William, turn me on to your guy. I am paying 12% now under a painter's rate. Every company I explored told me the same thing about roofing rates though. If you are up there walking, you're a roofer (in their eyes)

Quote Originally Posted by offdutyfireman View Post
    Didn't want to start a argument here Dan. We do residential like you but we do thousands of units of Condo's and apartments where moving a ladder is not possible or practical. We don't bend over or stoop over the gutter line. We walk the line with stihl BG55 blowers with the spark arrestors taken out and blow everything to the ground. For those that do my line of work I think you will benefit from them.
    What’s the advantage to removing the spark arrest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trent Field
    North West Exteriors
    Pride in your Property is my Priority!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12