Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cougar Paws

Cougar Paws

Over the years I have glued carpet to shoes, dipped them in epoxy and dipped them in sand and just about everything under the sun. We clean thousands of gutters each year and I have been looking for something to keep us on the roofs and off the ladders on pitches over about 6/12. I bought some roof climbing slip on things from Envirospec last year and broke three ribs within the first 20 minutes I had them on. Jeff L turned me on to Cougar Paws a couple off weeks ago. I have since bought 4 pairs of boots. They are absolutely incredible. Only thing is, they are a little heavy. I called the company, got the owner and now have a free pair of prototype tennis shoes with the same replaceable bottom. They are insane. You can walk any roof out there. He said he may sell the prototype if there is enough interest. Check them out. When I find a company that is great, I want them to do well.
    http://www.cougarpaws.com/
    William
    Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter.

Re: Cougar Paws

William it's not so much about the traction so you don't slip off a roof - but when you are at the bottom of the roof and have a gutter tucked under, and you are hunched over trying to scoop it out - that just sucks bananas. It's easy to lose your balance and roll off, not so much slip off. I've done tons of roofing, and to this day have no problem getting my 40' footer up against a tall colonial home and then wheeling up a 'chicken' ladder so I can climb to the peak to proceed washing it, sometimes as much as 45' off the ground. But I'll never attempt to clean gutters like you suggest just to keep a cheap price for homeowners - so what if you can knock off gutters 10x faster by walking the bottom of a roof - one slip from a loose shingle and you are dead!

I'll stick to my ladder routine, I've never seen a ladder slip in my life that was placed at an acceptable angle and correctly footed. Guys here bitch about going up ladders, I'd like to take them up and show them a newly placed 8/12 pitch and try and clean gutters from walking around up on it. Or even just getting back on the ladder from the roof. I think most guys would agree that ladder work is much more agreeable.
    Daniel Tambasco
    (978)749-9808
    'Oh, they're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.' -George Hanson, Easy Rider

Didn't want to start a argument here Dan. We do residential like you but we do thousands of units of Condo's and apartments where moving a ladder is not possible or practical. We don't bend over or stoop over the gutter line. We walk the line with stihl BG55 blowers with the spark arrestors taken out and blow everything to the ground. For those that do my line of work I think you will benefit from them.
    William

William which ones did you order....our gutter cleaning business is really picking up and I would like to try a pair of these for sure
    Jeff
    ABM Cleaning
    Greensboro, NC
    336-558-3052
    www.abmcleaning.net

Two pairs of both of these

http://www.cougarpaws.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=

http://www.cougarpaws.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=

The low cut tennis shoe he sent me is not on their site but it is a low cut shoe. I cannot stand anything around my ankles.

The pads lasted about three or four 12 hour days before they had to be replaced. Three of my guys did about 8 grand in gutter cleaning this week at $12 a unit, so you can do the math and see how fast they had to hustle on the roofs. They love them. Monday it rain and they didn't have problems.
    William

Prestige Member

how will they hold up with the SH?

I had a pair of sandal type roof shoes that strapped over my regular boot and the glue that held the replacement pad together failed while I was on a 12/12 roof I had to finish the roof from the top of the ladder and had to move the ladder about 6 times :thumbsdown: The failure was due to walking on the SH which had eaten away the glue

Jeff's guy did 60 building spraying bleach on the roofs with no problems. These pads are velcroed on the bottom of the shoe, no glue.
    William

Prestige Member

[quote author=offdutyfireman link=topic=10503.msg139436#msg139436 date=1275222646]
    Jeff's guy did 60 building spraying bleach on the roofs with no problems. These pads are velcroed on the bottom of the shoe, no glue.
    [/quote]

the ones I have are also velcro but the other side (the side that is on the ground) is glued onto the backside of the velcro pad

Does the felt pad spread out your weight on the grit?When I'm on a roof the grit giving way and causing me to slip is my biggest problem.

I also use a blower to clean gutter out.I don't for the life of me know why anyone wouldn't.Mine has blown trees out that where growing in the gutters.I use a handheld Echo.
    J.C. Galmiche
    Cajun Cleanin' Powerwashing
    Daphne, Al.
    251-510-9508
    cajuncleanin@mchsi.com
    www.cajuncleanin.com
    Pressure washing Daphne,Fairhope,Alabama.

The pads cover the entire bottom of the show, so they do spread the weight. Try the stihl blowers.
    William

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast