Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: roof cleaning is it worth it?

Super Helper Member

Re: roof cleaning is it worth it?

When I'm not busy protecting my good name, I clean a lot of roofs. Like Larry, I estimate that probably 80% of the calls I get involve a roof cleaning.

Roofs with black mold :thumbsup:, roofs with moss/algae :thumbsdown:

My comp insurance jumps from 07 cents to 37 cents as soon as I get on a roof not to mention the extra labor, and chemical. I will be the first to say my housewashes are cheap.....199.00 2000 and under. but there's people doing roofs in the 200's ......
    Its something I know that I would like to do but I just don't see it doing well for me. I know you make a living at it larry(fl guys) but it just hadn't hit here like there. I have started subbing all my deck work...roofs might be next......

Prestige Member

[quote author=powerwashing4u link=topic=11157.msg147602#msg147602 date=1284080012]
    Roofs with black mold :thumbsup:, roofs with moss/algae :thumbsdown:
    [/quote]
    +1 I'm out on all the moss.
    While residential Roof Cleaning jobs do add up and pay the bills, it's bigger jobs like this that really put a dent into helping with our bottom line. this was a Tile Roof Cleaning job we did for a local YMCA here in Saint Petersburg FL about 4-5 Months ago. This one took us A full Saturday and Sunday to complete but paydays like these are nice.

[attachment deleted by admin]
    All Surface Pressure Cleaning Inc.
    Saint Petersburg Florida 33716
    Larry Millette 727-543-3276 727-543-3276
    www.aspc.us
    www.allsurfacepressurecleaning.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-olM...pSj0ZtHpl-jHDR http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine.....727-543-3276

Prestige Member

Here are a couple more from that Roof Cleaning Job at the YMCA in Saint Petersburg Florida.

[attachment deleted by admin]
    All Surface Pressure Cleaning Inc.
    Saint Petersburg Florida 33716
    Larry Millette 727-543-3276 727-543-3276
    www.aspc.us
    www.allsurfacepressurecleaning.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-olM...pSj0ZtHpl-jHDR http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine.....727-543-3276

[quote author=Russ S link=topic=11157.msg147572#msg147572 date=1284063732]

Oh and whats with the kicking my azz text today? :P
    [/quote]

I wasn't joking. I'll stomp a mudhole.
    Tighten up.
    Thad Eckhoff
    Apex Services
    Hattiesburg, MS
    (601) 329-5819

Super Helper Member

I can see Larry up on that roof dancing to the YMCA tune all the way to the bank! Good job Larry. I also wanna see Thad whoop up Russ!
    Grime Reaper Power Clean & Soft Wash
    Serving North Mississippi
    662-316-7685
    http://grimereaperwashing.tumblr.com

[quote author=TCALLC link=topic=11157.msg147605#msg147605 date=1284084513]
    My comp insurance jumps from 07 cents to 37 cents as soon as I get on a roof not to mention the extra labor, and chemical. I will be the first to say my housewashes are cheap.....199.00 2000 and under. but there's people doing roofs in the 200's ......
    Its something I know that I would like to do but I just don't see it doing well for me. I know you make a living at it larry(fl guys) but it just hadn't hit here like there. I have started subbing all my deck work...roofs might be next......
    [/quote]

Lou, as you go along in business you will find the profit robbers and want to eliminate them. Decks are an absolute profit robber unless you have tons of experience doing them or do quickies. Its just the nature of the beast. I have come to hate them from a business standpoint. Watching guys talk about roof cleaning for years I really wanted nothing to do with them because of the WC issues, the liability with landscaping, the chems streaking siding, etc. The market for roof cleaning is exploding up here and so far we are all on the scale that roof cleaning needs to be priced at. I have a company with that surface cleaner on a rope franchise up here bidding $800 for the front side of a 2500 s/f colonial. Oddly enough I have lost bids at half their price to them for the same reason I have been saying for years on these boards... You can talk a good game about quality and technique, but if you are low priced (in the customer's mind) it raises a red flag with them. You know the reality, I would be less than two hours on that job, bill over $400 and have far superior results. That doesn't matter. The customers aren't yet believing me and that is my fault. I have to refine my sales pitch and raise my price to not be the low guy.

Customers up here still want to meet me. I can't meet people for $400 jobs. So I continue to target market, stay aggressive with making the phone ring and go out and upsell. We did six jobs total this week and only one truck was out all week. Its just very slow in late August /early September. The saving grace is all were house washes with roof and concrete upsells. None of the jobs was below $1,300. The roofs in this case all added $600-$800 dollars. That's not a wonderful week's gross for me but without the roofs, I would have had a terrible week.

Larry and others have made great points indicative of guys being around for awhile. Resi work does not bring in real money unless you charge through the tail for it or have a system of lead generation and minimal contact sales. Ask William, Russ all these guys that have been around a decade where their money comes from. None of them are going to answer that its in $200 house washes even though they do them for fill-in. You have DJ and Michael selling $400 plus house washes in your market. The market is really irrelevant. You have to charge what you need to make to stay in business. In your climate and mine that maybe be double and triple what guys in the warm south are charging.

Just some food for thought.

Great post Ken! Here in south GA I can work up until Nov or Dec depending on the weather. It never really gets below 30 degrees here often.
    Josh Stephens
    Coastal Power Wash
    www.coastalpowerwashga.com (underconstruction)
    Darien, Georgia
    912-223-3188

Prestige Member

I think Ken made a great statement when he mentioned that many of his roofs were upsells. On straight sells, I would say I am 10:1 houses to roofs. Yet, I often do spot treatment or full roof upsells on house wash estimates. I actually stopped mentioning windows and house wax for upsell, unless the customers ask. The money upsells for me are concrete cleaning/sealing and now roof cleaning. I do some type of concrete or roof upsell to almost half of my house wash customers. It is just so easy to make the case for them to have the roof done while I am there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast