Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: roof cleaning is it worth it?

Prestige Member

Re: roof cleaning is it worth it?

Here is a good article about roofing and mold. Very interesting.

http://ezinearticles.com/?My-Attic-S...amp;id=1581375
    All Surface Pressure Cleaning Inc.
    Saint Petersburg Florida 33716
    Larry Millette 727-543-3276 727-543-3276
    www.aspc.us
    www.allsurfacepressurecleaning.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-olM...pSj0ZtHpl-jHDR http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine.....727-543-3276

[quote author=offdutyfireman link=topic=11157.msg148172#msg148172 date=1284903332]Mold on the outside of a house will not cause health problems for people on the inside. Honesty with anyone will get you further along in life/business.[/quote]

I swear William, your "Curmudgeon Views" can be quite funny sometimes. I disagree Large with the above commit. Check the CDC website and research "Mold & Mildew". These "Can" cause health problems and in some cases"Will" cause health problems, there's no doubt about this. This is a Very Honest statement, it is the Truth.

You've come a long way Buddy, website, facebook, tradeshows, etc. Now we need to work on your Sales Tactics, you got my number.
    Pressure Kleen L.L.C.
    Power Washing Service
    Tar-Heel N.C. 28392
    Guy Blackmon 910-876-1594

House Washing Fayetteville N.C.
    Pressure Washing Fayetteville N.C.
    Power Washing Fayetteville N.C.

Prestige Member

While it is definitely true that mold and algae can cause health problems in a home, it is very difficult to show that the algae and mold on the exterior of a home can pose a large risk to environment inside. Is it possible? I'm sure it is, but I cannot see a direct connection between mold and algae on the outside of a home and the mold and algae on the inside of a home, other than a house may have a damp environment that promotes both. Unless it eats through the exterior materials, or passes through porous materials like block, it shouldn't be any more likely to spread into the home than normal. Why? Because everyone's house is already covered trillions of spores. My body literally has thousands of spores on it right now, and so does yours. Spores are so prevalent that you can nearly consider them a nonfactor. Anything with organic material that gets wet will mold. The fresh food you eat has spores all over it already too. That's why it molds even in the refrigerator. I think it is a stretch to suggest that mold and algae on a home's exterior will be more likely to cause a mold problem inside the home, unless of course there is a breach of the materials.

So perhaps it is better to sell from an angle that improper washing can cause water intrusion where mold can then grow rapid (ie high pressure blasting under siding, under shingles, etc).

Plus one to both comments. People are not exactly dropping like flies because their roof is dirty.
    William
    Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter.

Last year I went on a call to wash "the front door area" of a house because of mold. I talked to the guy a little on the phone and he said he had a Co. comming to clean the mold inside the attached garage. When I got to the house I had serious thought of using my resperator. It's not the roof but it prooves to me that it will migrate from the outside to the inside.
    John

Prestige Member

[quote author=Powerhouse John link=topic=11157.msg156322#msg156322 date=1297256624]
    Last year I went on a call to wash "the front door area" of a house because of mold. I talked to the guy a little on the phone and he said he had a Co. comming to clean the mold inside the attached garage. When I got to the house I had serious thought of using my resperator. It's not the roof but it prooves to me that it will migrate from the outside to the inside.
    [/quote]
    And I would say that having an organic problem in both areas is indicative of having a moisture and drainage problem around the entire house system. Mold needs water, and water was obviously present in both places. The spores are already present everywhere, so there is no migration necessary for it to be in both places. The house had a moisture problem, and the mold is a symptom.

Example: Imagine that I had two separate yards, void of any organic growth (if that's even possible). I spread, rake, and fertilize grass seed in both yards, but I only water one. The one with the water grows right away, but the other doesn't. After a week of slow steady rainfalls the other yard starts to grow grass. Is this because it spread from my first yard? No, it is certainly because the seed was already present, but just needed water. Our houses, both inside and out, are just like those two yards. They already have the seeds, so adding extra seeds isn't going to be the main factor in growth, the water is.

[quote author=Russ S link=topic=11157.msg147570#msg147570 date=1284063577]
    [quote author=TCALLC link=topic=11157.msg147569#msg147569 date=1284062641]
    The more and more I do pressure washing the more I wanna get out of roof cleaning. Maybe its just me but I get asked 15 to 1 for a house wash than I do for a roof clean. Roof cleaning is on everything i advertise however my call to action is You see dirty roofs everywhere but it seems people only wanna pay for house washing. Another reason is i can wash a house solo, employees can wash a house solo with roof cleaning you can't...........You guys that are promoting roof cleaning what is your ratio? I know some guys do a lot of roofs on here. I also have a feeling a lot of guys on here say they do, but don't do many roofs.......... I guess my question is do you guys really think its worth the hassle? To me I would like to have 4 trucks going out each day washing houses than 2 trucks with 2 guys in each washing houses and roofs......What do you guys think?
    [/quote]I am so glad its not just me, I was thinking of just doing away with it completely. I will bet we do 50 to 1, plus there are more times than not that I cant even clean a roof here because its too hot and the chems will dry as soon as they hit the roof, not to mention 100% humidity .... tere is a different problem all together. Then the added liability issues. :thumbsdown:
    [/quote]
    I know you know this Russ, but for the newcomers to roof cleaning, it is helpful to wet a HOT Roof down with water first, then clean it. In fact, when I am cleaning a roof, and want my very best job, I pre wet the roof first, except tile roofs. I feel the water activates the surfactants and TSP I sometimes use better. As far as roof cleaning goes, you get WAY more repeat cleaning business in pressure washing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456