Thread: Sodium Hypochlorite Decomposition

Squirt
    Cedar Creek Lake Texas, Athens, Gun Barrel City

Sodium Hypochlorite Decomposition

I have been learning more and more about sodium hypochlorite and it's shelf life, which is almost nonexistent. I found an enormous amount of information about SH from Powell website. I'm not a chemist so I didn't understand alot of it but I did understand how fast SH will degrade in storage in a warm or hot environment. I will attempt to post these graphs and the link to the website and software I downloaded free from Powell. Just in case the post / link does not make onto the post, 12.5% SH will be just over 6% SH in only 14 days at 98 degrees. 12.5% SH will be 11.2% in 14 days IF kept cooled at 68 degrees.
    I hope that helps some other new guys like it helped me understand why my mix worked like crap after a while.

http://www.powellfab.com/technical_i...psoftware.aspx
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John Sheets
    Star of Texas Power Washing
    Cedar Creek Lake, Athens, Gun Barrel City, Tyler, Kaufman, Kemp, Malakoff, Corsicana
    903-203-5760

Re: Sodium Hypochlorite Decomposition

Good info John, I was told it was the direct sunlight not the heat. Good to know!!

Prestige Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 12% SH doesn't degrade to 6% in 14 days. I've washed thousands of houses with both and used SH much older than 14 days that was far stronger than 6%.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -
    Samuel Adams

How was it stored though Philip? Open to sunlight at 98 degrees for 14 days straight is bound to do some damage
    Charlie Soden
    Apex DeckSavers
    919-302-1523
    NC Deck Restoration, Deck Cleaning and Staining

Sodium Hypochlorite Decomposition

John, I haven't been on my computer all day, just my phone, but I am with Philip and Chaz here that maybe if it was in a 5 gal bucket not sealed and in direct sunlight, those numbers would be valid. I would think a sealed 55 gal dark container in a shaded (garage, warehouse, shed, etc) area even in a 100 temp would still get ya more time. Its important to keep it out of the sun....

Prestige Member

[quote author=bigchaz link=topic=12510.msg165410#msg165410 date=1310704313]
    How was it stored though Philip? Open to sunlight at 98 degrees for 14 days straight is bound to do some damage[/quote]

Now you're stipulating abnormal conditions. Sunlight implies that it is stored in transparent containers. Bleach is not sold in transparent containers for that reason. Even a simple white/clear poly tank filters most of the destructive UV rays.

Also, open implies that the container is not sealed. Again, bleach is not sold in open containers for that reason. And when you seal the container increases in temperature dramatically increase the ambient pressure, greatly reducing evaporation and off gassing.

I'm not saying that it doesn't degrade, but I am saying that under normal use conditions it doesn't get anywhere close to 6% in 14 days
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -
    Samuel Adams

Squirt

When I ran the numbers on the software I clicked "unfiltered" SH as apposed to "filtered" SH. There is quite a difference of shelf life between the two different qualities. You guys certainly know more about chemistry and SH than I do. I was simply offering up what I had found on the Powell website.
    John Sheets
    Cedar Creek Lake, Athens, Gun Barrel City, Tyler, Kaufman, Kemp, Malakoff, Corsicana
    903-203-5760

Squirt

The tech article did state that SH mixed with water will have a much slower decomposition rate.
    John Sheets
    903-203-5760

It would be nice to have paper test strips....

[quote author=TCALLC link=topic=12510.msg165444#msg165444 date=1310773633]
    It would be nice to have paper test strips....
    [/quote]

I use the finger test.If it foams and I can feel the heat it's good to go.I could care less if it's 12,10,or 3 percent at that point.
    J.C. Galmiche
    Cajun Cleanin' Powerwashing
    Daphne, Al.
    251-510-9508
    cajuncleanin@mchsi.com
    www.cajuncleanin.com
    Pressure washing Daphne,Fairhope,Alabama.