Thread: Removing a tar substance from a pickup truck

Removing a tar substance from a pickup truck

I am going to be the first to admit I don't know anything about fleets, nor do I want to, but I have a buddy of mine that owns a honey business with a bunch of beehives. He asked me if I knew anything to get a tar like substance off of his s-10 pickup truck that he uses when he is working with his beehives. It is a tar like substance called Propolis, a product the bees make to make the hives. Its made from enzymes and bee saliva and it is a tar like substance that acts like tar and grease. You can google it to see what it is, but from what I have seen, people have a hard time getting it off their hands and clothes.

I want something I can either DS or use a pump up sprayer for to help him out and wont hurt the paint job. Any ideas?

Super Helper Member

Re: Removing a tar substance from a pickup truck

Delimonene, wd-40 and diesel fuel would be my top three to try and cut it. Guess it depends on how much of an area you need to cover.

3m makes an adhesive remover you can get at any auto paint store. Works great. We use it all the time at the body shop.

[quote author=TimberSeal link=topic=12622.msg166810#msg166810 date=1313974709]

Delimonene, wd-40 and diesel fuel would be my top three to try and cut it. Guess it depends on how much of an area you need to cover.
    [/quote]

Its all over the side and bed of the truck....wouldnt any of those 3 hurt the paint/clear coat?

Prestige Member

if its a biological substance try SH

[quote author=Jeremiah link=topic=12622.msg166812#msg166812 date=1313975463]
    3m makes an adhesive remover you can get at any auto paint store. Works great. We use it all the time at the body shop.
    [/quote]

If that is the same 3M stuff that I use to take label glue off the hood, make sure there is plenty of ventilation.
    General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
    National Fire Protection Association, National Fire Sprinkler Association, National Fire Equipment Dealers,Oregon Fire Equipment Distributors past pres, past sec, founding Board Member
    Supporting Member Grease Police, BOD

Super Helper Member

[quote author=Clear Shine Maintenance link=topic=12622.msg166813#msg166813 date=1313975583]
    [quote author=TimberSeal link=topic=12622.msg166810#msg166810 date=1313974709]

[/quote]

Its all over the side and bed of the truck....wouldnt any of those 3 hurt the paint/clear coat?
    [/quote]

We wash all of our trucks with Delimonene all the time. Works great for removing road tars and handprints from staining Test a spot but I wouldnt expect any of the three to damage the paint.