Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Effects of SH on Pressure Washing Contractors?

Long Term Effects of SH on Pressure Washing Contractors?

Do any of you "old timers" have and health concerns or issues with the use of SH on a daily basis?

I have been washing 5-15 homes a week for the past few months and have noticed between over spray, filling up tanks for roof cleaning and my HW mix I come home smelling of bleach and not knowing it (even after a shower, says my wife).
    I also know just naturally being around it the fumes are inhaled, ( which i try to avoid) and it does make contact with your skin. Its inevitable.

Does anyone have any input?

Re: Long Term Effects of SH on Pressure Washing Contractors?

In the end, we are all dead. But why butt in line?

My son is pretty much required to wear a mask when he's on the job. I do sometimes when I spray a roof.

Hagerstown Pressure Washing contractors
    Full Color Contractor Yard Signs

Tim Fields
    Complete Power Wash
    sign2day.com
    Hagerstown, MD

Great thread to start. I pass through and do my drive by comments but, this is something I have always wondered about.
    Someone much smarter than me will eventually be able to expand on this. I am guessing Phillip? Heavy chemicals on a daily basis have to do some damage. I wear masks for everthing. I do all my posting over on Don's site but I have actually called 3M and talked to their tech support guys to make sure I have the right respirators.
    Roof Refresh
    919-291-2717
    www.roofrefresh.com

There are 2 things guaranteed in life...A daughters love for her father and were all going to die some day!
    Dave Lopuszynski
    Holly Springs, NC
    http://trianglepressurewashing.com
    919-931-2640

Raleigh, NC Pressure Washing

Super Helper Member TreyWinslow's Avatar

Was watching CSI the other day and a scene in the episode was them testing dead rats positive for SH poisoning....that will get your attention lol
    Trey Winslow
    Patriot Pro Clean Inc
    Manassas, VA
    571-393-8046
    Pressure Washing services in Northern Virginia

Long Term Effects of SH on Pressure Washing Contractors?

I remember my first job was an awning and I cleaned it with wild cherry house mix, I felt a coolness in my chest all day
    From the SH and I was a bit worried. I can clean houses all day with spray in my face and I don't have that coolness in my chest
    Anymore, I would imagine this is Not a good thing. I have tried to use those construction type cheap white masks but find it hard to breath and my breath kicking back at me is no picnic either.
    Charles Muli
    Hydro Power Washing
    Staten Island, NY
    Tel: (347) 460-3003
    Email: CMuli@HydroPowerWashing.com

I was at urgent care twice this week with 1st and 2nd degree burns on my entire right thigh. There was a leak on the hose coupler at the connection between the hose and the trigger. House wash was running down the hose to my carhart rain jacket and down my shorts on my right leg. I didn't notice it for hours and by the time I finished my fourth house wash of the day I was burning bad. I will no longer do roofs because I personally think the SH is too strong to be that close to. I am 36 and plan to not wash when I am 40. I own a property watch business and will continue to operate that and sub out all of my power wash jobs.
    Ocean City Power Wash
    oceancitypowerwash@yahoo.com
    609.391.WASH
    Ocean City, NJ

Prestige Member

Great post it does seem to make my hands swell a bit and i do get real sleepy after a long day of washing with sh.If you got 1 degree burns from sh coming out of the gun that was some strong stuff you had.
    Hal Brown
    Sophia Nc 27350
    www.AbvPressureWashing.com

I have had two really bad chem burns and we have a guy that starts coughing if he gets too close to a strong house mix on the house. I am curious about what 3M said was the correct respirator for house and roof washing.

Keep washing, just don't go in any swimming pools

I had asked my doctor about it, not sure he understood how much SH we use. He said as long as you're outside it isn't a problem. Your body can process a lot he said of things and the overspray should be a problem.

Build your biz and have someone else playing with the SH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast