Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cedar Roof Cleaning

Super Helper Member BDA4Life_4EvEr's Avatar

Re: Cedar Roof Cleaning

[quote author=pressurepros link=topic=14135.msg186324#msg186324 date=1355014951]
    One of my customer complaints this year was from a customer whose cedar roof we cleaned last year. They opted out of oiling. I made it very clear before we did the job that the shingles would be drier and could warp with rapid wet/dry cycling. Sure enough they were miffed that some of their shingles were curling. I drew up a custom disclaimer that they signed off on. I wasn't sure what they wanted. Years old mold growth were keeping the shingles moist and some had began to decay. I'm not a roof guy so I am not sure which is the greater evil there.. rot or a little warping. There is nothing I could do except re-clean and oil which again they opted out of again. They wanted me to basically do it at my expense. I would recommend you mention this potential issue with your customer.
    [/quote]

Are you required to use a fire retardant stain on shingles ? I've only stained gazebos and now you can't build shingle roofs here in Tx.

I don't blame you for getting a waiver Ken gotta cover your butt! :yes:
    Shane Brasseaux

Cleaning all the debris , mold ,and crap is better than leaving it. All the foreign matter on the roof keeps the roof wetter longer promoting rot. If its clean it will dry out faster giving longer life .

Oiling a cedar roof has a dramatic result on extending the life of the roof. Just used 60 gallons on the roof we completed. It was 4 years old and 5/8 thick which takes more oil. Something to consider !

60 gallons of pure oil or do you dulute it Jim
    Power Washing and Soft-Wash Roof Cleaning Suffolk County New York
    http://www.SoftWashLI.com
    http://www.longislandroofwashers.com

Squirt

Art, I agree with Shane and the bleach and Jim and the oiling. A shake roof can last easily 60 years if it is maintained.

Before starting Armstrong stains, I treated shake roofs in 4 states for about 8 years. I hate emailing but if you give me a call, I will be pleased to pass along any and all tips we learned during that time. This offer is open to any at PT State. 1 209 541 6579 cell.

You might want to take a look at our website www.armclark.com pages for our Shake Shield (made exclusively for shake roofs).

Jake
    Jake Clark
    Armstrong Clark Co.
    www.armclark.com

Not diluted but beefed up with more protection. You can't skimp on a roof . It should be filled up until it can't take any more oil.

The house I did the roof I will be doing yearly maintenance for the property. Clean gutters couple times a year blow off shake roof ,wash house yearly, clean ipe 3 porches 2 small decks and a large main deck. In 3 years start doing a section of roof clean oil and then proceed to do a section each year after that.

You guys are the best. Thanks to all of you for the help. Keep your comments coming and Happy Holidays to everyone PT State

[quote author=Jake Clark link=topic=14135.msg186457#msg186457 date=1355275829]
    Art, I agree with Shane and the bleach and Jim and the oiling. A shake roof can last easily 60 years if it is maintained.

Before starting Armstrong stains, I treated shake roofs in 4 states for about 8 years. I hate emailing but if you give me a call, I will be pleased to pass along any and all tips we learned during that time. This offer is open to any at PT State. 1 209 541 6579 cell.

You might want to take a look at our website www.armclark.com pages for our Shake Shield (made exclusively for shake roofs).

Jake
    [/quote]

Thanks Jake I use your stain on my Cedar Deck. It's realy a good Stain and easy to aply. Thanks

Super Helper Member

THESE ROOFS ARE AS SLIPPERY AS SNOT WET...BE SURE TO TIE YOUR SELF OFF TO SOMETHING EASY TO BREAK YOUR NECK ON THESE KIND OF JOBS
    Jason Quick
    Quick's Power Washing
    Bloomington,Indiana
    www.quickspowerwashing.co

Squirt

Art, Thanks for trying our stain and the kind words. You made my day. Jim is right about modifying the roof coating. We remove all vegetable oil and enhance with non drying conditioning oils. Give our Shake Shield a try. Call first and I can probably help with your project.

Happiest of Holidays to all at Bob's PT State!

Jake
    Jake Clark
    Armstrong Clark Co.
    www.armclark.com

I'll be doing my first cedar roof next week. I've done hundreds of asphalt roofs, some tile and metal. I'm going to use the bleach mix at 60/40 water to SH. How long do you recommend leaving this on? Will all of the black algae disappear after cleaned and rinse? I'll be using a 3/4" hose with booster pump to rinse. After the cleaning I will let it dry and then apply stain/oil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12