Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: God Bless

Re: God Bless

Starting in January 2013 the district that my wife and I teach in will have Police in the Building the majority of the day. Having a marked car parked outside of the building is a huge deterrent in itself.
    Ocean City Power Wash
    oceancitypowerwash@yahoo.com
    609.391.WASH
    Ocean City, NJ

[quote author=JC link=topic=14158.msg186960#msg186960 date=1356276966]
    WOW, you guys get REAL upset when the "evil" guns are removed form the scene and replaced with handguns, WHY??? Is it because you cant blame "assault weapons" and are forced to blame the shooter for his actions?

Another thing that has not been reported is what size magazines the shooter used. Those evil assault weapons have mags that can hold from 5 rounds on up, did he only have access to the 5 rounders?

This story will be changing again and in the end I'll bet some evidence gets "lost"

There is absolutely no law to enact that will stop the crazies. BUT a gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

[/quote]

OMG Jim, evidence lost, lies, changing story are you really that twisted now Jim. Young children, practically babies died and all you can think of is your nut job conspiracy theories. Paranoia is a mental health issue

Not reported Jim????? It was released the 2nd or 3rd day...even by fox News, they wouldnt lie to you jim. Oh ya maybe they would, they told everyone Romney was leading in all the polls in swing states. but anyways, it was clearly reported, just maybe not where you get your info. Wow

According to Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance, Lanza had multiple high-capacity magazines for the Bushmaster AR-15 rifle. Those high-capacity magazines held 30 rounds each, Vance said.

God bless the children

[quote author=Ocean City Power Wash link=topic=14158.msg186965#msg186965 date=1356291372]
    Starting in January 2013 the district that my wife and I teach in will have Police in the Building the majority of the day. Having a marked car parked outside of the building is a huge deterrent in itself.
    [/quote]

Thats great. I also read of several other districts around the country that will have police for now on. I'm hoping and working towards that with our school. Most middle schools and high schools around here already do

It's hard for me to imagine that there is all these schools with no armed officer's. Every school that I went to growing up had at least one sheriff's deputy for elementary and middle school and two deputies in high school. I always thought it was standard everywhere.
    Daniel Dinkins
    HydroPlus Power Washing LLC
    Greenville, NC
    www.hydroprowash.com

[quote author=Jeff link=topic=14158.msg186967#msg186967 date=1356293731]
    [quote author=Ocean City Power Wash link=topic=14158.msg186965#msg186965 date=1356291372]
    [/quote]

Thats great. I also read of several other districts around the country that will have police for now on. I'm hoping and working towards that with our school. Most middle schools and high schools around here already do
    [/quote]

I think it will depend on the size of the town and the department. My district is in a town that's less than 4 square miles. So even if the cops have to leave our school to respond to a call they can treat it as a home base. The LT. also has his guys sitting in front of the school when they are catching up on their reports, instead of sitting in a parking lot or back at the station. The hope is that if 75% of the time the school has a police presence it will look less like a soft target.
    Ocean City Power Wash
    609.391.WASH
    Ocean City, NJ

Prestige Member

That's a great idea, and it's great that your local law enforcement and school district were able to find a way to do this without additional costs. My district has five buildings, and paying a full time officer for each building would cost more than $300,000. We are already facing serious budget issues in the schools across Ohio as the state continues to cut funding and property values go down. Our district would have a very hard time finding those funds. I do, however, like the idea of using schools as Sheriff's outposts, offering free school lunches to Sheriff's if they spend they volunteer to spend their lunch breaks at the schools, or other creative ways of increasing the presence of law enforcement.

Prestige Member

[quote author=moody1 link=topic=14158.msg186964#msg186964 date=1356284510]
    [quote author=JC link=topic=14158.msg186960#msg186960 date=1356276966]
    WOW, you guys get REAL upset when the "evil" guns are removed form the scene and replaced with handguns, WHY??? Is it because you cant blame "assault weapons" and are forced to blame the shooter for his actions?[/quote]

Like usual Jim, you are reading way more into my comments than is actually there. My problem with your post is that it is based on a conspiracy theory website with no credibility. The website cites the video as showing the AR-15 being removed from the trunk, but anyone can tell that it is not an AR-15 coming out of the trunk. I also blame the shooter for his actions. I do not like assault rifles (or those designed to look like them), but I doubt banning them will reduce crime rates significantly. I do, however, think that a logical discussion is on the subject is worthwhile. I also blame the shooter 100%. I don't blame his mom for having guns in the home, I don't blame his developmental disorder (not a mental disorder that we know of), I do not blame his teachers and parents for not recognizing that he was disturbed, and I do not blame the government for allowing guns. I blame HIM for making a decision to do what he did. And why are you putting "evil" guns in quotation marks? Who called them "evil," other than you? You have a long history of trying to paint anyone who disagrees with you as being some stereotypical adversary. I may disagree with you on many things, but I probably agree with you more than you think when it comes to guns. If you want people to take you seriously, then don't quote conspiracy websites. I don't even cite the Huffington Post on here for that reason, and they are just bias.
    [/quote]

"Evil" is the word I chose because that is the way you portray those types of weapons that look scary to you. I dont know the credibility of the site but my point was to stir you up based on the idea that "assault weapons" were not used.

What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

[quote author=moody1 link=topic=14158.msg186971#msg186971 date=1356308809]
    That's a great idea, and it's great that your local law enforcement and school district were able to find a way to do this without additional costs. My district has five buildings, and paying a full time officer for each building would cost more than $300,000. We are already facing serious budget issues in the schools across Ohio as the state continues to cut funding and property values go down. Our district would have a very hard time finding those funds. I do, however, like the idea of using schools as Sheriff's outposts, offering free school lunches to Sheriff's if they spend they volunteer to spend their lunch breaks at the schools, or other creative ways of increasing the presence of law enforcement.
    [/quote]

Having 2 police officers on the school board also helps...
    Ocean City Power Wash
    609.391.WASH
    Ocean City, NJ

Prestige Member

[quote author=JC link=topic=14158.msg186974#msg186974 date=1356311583]
    "Evil" is the word I chose because that is the way you portray those types of weapons that look scary to you.[/quote]

Must be the voices in your head. Please cite the post where I referred to them as being "scary to me" or "evil." I'm not even suggesting they should be banned, like they have been in the past, but I think the conversation is worth having. That's the difference. You don't even like the idea of having a conversation.

I dont know the credibility of the site but my point was to stir you up based on the idea that "assault weapons" were not used.[/quote]

Thank you for the clarification. I thought you were trying to participate in a discussion where others might disagree with you, but you are by your own admission just trying to be a troll. I will remember for future reference that your posts are not to be taken seriously. Thank you for explaining this.

What is your definition of "assault weapon"?[/quote]

Do you mean assault rifle or assault weapon? I will give both. An assault rifle is like Guy described it, with mechanical selection for both automatic and semi-automatic fire. An AR-15 is not a true assault rifle, and the AR does not stand for assault rifle, but is instead an abbreviation representing the original designer of the AR series of guns. In our culture, rifles that are by government definition assault weapons are often spoken of as assault rifles, even though they are not, and yes I am sure I have made this mistake in this thread, if that was going to be your "gotcha" moment. It is understandable why some may refer to an assault weapon that is a rifle as being an assault rifle, though it is not.

An assault weapon, like the AR-15, does not have a mechanical select fire option, and is therefore not an assault rifle. It is instead considered a rifle that is an assault weapon. In your question you asked what my definition is. I don't have a definition of my own. The U.S. government defined assault weapons in legislation that banned their sales between 1994 and 2004. These weapons must meet a certain number of qualifying factors, but not all of the factors. Some of the factors include the availability of various attachments, including pistol grips, bayonets, flash suppressor, grenade launchers, and folding or telescoping stocks. They can also be modified without much work to become fully automatic, though this is already illegal. I have not suggested that these weapons should be banned, but I am not completely opposed to banning them either.

Now, I would like to ask you a question. Do you think fully automatic weapons should be illegal, as they currently are, or do you think there should be no regulation over which types of guns are legal?

Prestige Member

[quote author=moody1 link=topic=14158.msg186980#msg186980 date=1356356668]
    "Evil" is the word I chose because that is the way you portray those types of weapons that look scary to you.[/quote]

Must be the voices in your head. Please cite the post where I referred to them as being "scary to me" or "evil." I'm not even suggesting they should be banned, like they have been in the past, but I think the conversation is worth having. That's the difference. You don't even like the idea of having a conversation. When I mentioned "you" I was referring to the gun control guys/anti gun owner guys, I should have been more clear.

I dont know the credibility of the site but my point was to stir you up based on the idea that "assault weapons" were not used.[/quote]

Thank you for the clarification. I thought you were trying to participate in a discussion where others might disagree with you, but you are by your own admission just trying to be a troll. I will remember for future reference that your posts are not to be taken seriously. Thank you for explaining this.troll is the wrong word, I was trying to get you (anti gun people) to show that they really want to ban all guns, not just the assault type weapons

What is your definition of "assault weapon"?[/quote]

Do you mean assault rifle or assault weapon? I will give both. An assault rifle is like Guy described it, with mechanical selection for both automatic and semi-automatic fire. An AR-15 is not a true assault rifle, and the AR does not stand for assault rifle, but is instead an abbreviation representing the original designer of the AR series of guns. In our culture, rifles that are by government definition assault weapons are often spoken of as assault rifles, even though they are not, and yes I am sure I have made this mistake in this thread, if that was going to be your "gotcha" moment. It is understandable why some may refer to an assault weapon that is a rifle as being an assault rifle, though it is not.

An assault weapon, like the AR-15, does not have a mechanical select fire option, and is therefore not an assault rifle. It is instead considered a rifle that is an assault weapon. In your question you asked what my definition is. I don't have a definition of my own. The U.S. government defined assault weapons in legislation that banned their sales between 1994 and 2004. These weapons must meet a certain number of qualifying factors, but not all of the factors. Some of the factors include the availability of various attachments, including pistol grips, bayonets, flash suppressor, grenade launchers, and folding or telescoping stocks. They can also be modified without much work to become fully automatic, though this is already illegal. I have not suggested that these weapons should be banned, but I am not completely opposed to banning them either. These things only change the way a gun looks, not the function. Grenades are not available to the public so the launchers should not be an issue. This shows you are scared of the way a gun looks

Now, I would like to ask you a question. Do you think fully automatic weapons should be illegal, as they currently are, or do you think there should be no regulation over which types of guns are legal?
    [/quote]

As to you asking if I believe fully automatic weapons should remain illegal, as they currently are, LOL... They are not illegal according to federal law, check your facts. Any US citizen can apply for a permit, pay a hefty fee and legally own a fully automatic weapon. I have known a few people over the years who have the permits. There are full auto clubs and competitions all over the Country but mostly in the western states.

As far a gun regulations go, here are some of my thoughts. I would like to see NRA classes in every school teaching proper handling of firearms and they should have shooting part of gym class.

An instant background check is all that is needed TODAY. After all the proper training has taken place, 40+ years down the road, you may be able to get rid of that too.

Like I said in an earlier post, there is NOT one law you can pass to stop the crazies, this is why a gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast