Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see if I've got this rinsing thing figured out....

Let's see if I've got this rinsing thing figured out....

Hi everyone. So I've been reading all the posts I can find about whether to rinse or not to rinse and from what I've gathered, it seems the general consensus is that if there are gutters, no rinse but if there are no gutters then rinse. Is this right? I understand bagging downspouts during the application process and wetting the snot out of everything on the ground (again if no gutters), just not 100% sure on the rinse/no-rinse debate. Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. I would also like to extend a huge "thank you" to Chris from Apple Roof Cleaning. You don't know me from Adam, but you have helped me out in so many ways with your willingness to share what you've learned over the years! It is greatly appreciated.
    Brody Beyer
    Lakeshore Pressure Washing, LLC
    Two Rivers, WI
    920-242-9040
    www.lakeshorepressurewashing.com

Gutters or not, rinsing the roof or not, wet down everything before during and especially after application.

Here's how I see this debate, and we do more than a few roofs.

Not Rinsing- You run the risk that there will be a very light rain afterwards that will just create a lot of salt water that will kill everything around the downspouts. In addition, some roofs won't look done if not rinsed, especially light grey colored roofs, they may have a brownish tinge where the worst stains were. There may also be a crystal or powder like residue when the roof dries. If the roofs have been cleaned properly both of these will disappear with a good rain.

On the positive side, not rinsing saves a lot of time.

On a side note, although he may at times be controversial, Chris Tucker put roof cleaning on the map when he put the original Applesauce recipe online. A lot of guys, whether they know it or like it, owe him a big thank you, thanks Chris!
    John Doherty
    Garden State Mobile Wash, LLC

New Jersey Power Washing, Roof Cleaning and Exterior Cleaning Services

Quote Originally Posted by John Doherty View Post
    Gutters or not, rinsing the roof or not, wet down everything before during and especially after application.

Here's how I see this debate, and we do more than a few roofs.

Not Rinsing- You run the risk that there will be a very light rain afterwards that will just create a lot of salt water that will kill everything around the downspouts. In addition, some roofs won't look done if not rinsed, especially light grey colored roofs, they may have a brownish tinge where the worst stains were. There may also be a crystal or powder like residue when the roof dries. If the roofs have been cleaned properly both of these will disappear with a good rain.

On the positive side, not rinsing saves a lot of time.

On a side note, although he may at times be controversial, Chris Tucker put roof cleaning on the map when he put the original Applesauce recipe online. A lot of guys, whether they know it or like it, owe him a big thank you, thanks Chris!
    I don't ever rinse and set the customers expectation as such described in Johns post. I tell them that when I leave, the streaks will be gone but may have a brownish tinge in the high concentration areas on certain colored shingles along with a haze on certain color roofs from the soap drying. I told them that if either happens, they will be washed away with the next good rain or so. I tell them that if they still see anything, I will gladly come back and retreat the area. Never once yet lost a customer due to either one of those issues.

I did a light brown roof one time, and there was a SUPER moldy area, the size of an ironing board. I hit it, let sit, nothing.. so I SOAKED it well, and sure enough it cleaned it, but even after a good rain, it stays white.. The customer was my neighbor at the time, so no issue there but it leaves me worried for future clients sake..

Any idea on what happened? The roof was about 10 years old.
    Connor Graham
    Lake Mary Pressure Washing & Roof Cleaning
    Orlando, Fl

Quote Originally Posted by Grahams View Post
    I did a light brown roof one time, and there was a SUPER moldy area, the size of an ironing board. I hit it, let sit, nothing.. so I SOAKED it well, and sure enough it cleaned it, but even after a good rain, it stays white.. The customer was my neighbor at the time, so no issue there but it leaves me worried for future clients sake..

Any idea on what happened? The roof was about 10 years old.
    Are you saying it turned the shingles on the roof white??? If so, what was your mix???

Quote Originally Posted by Clear Shine Maintenance View Post
    I don't ever rinse and set the customers expectation as such described in Johns post. I tell them that when I leave, the streaks will be gone but may have a brownish tinge in the high concentration areas on certain colored shingles along with a haze on certain color roofs from the soap drying. I told them that if either happens, they will be washed away with the next good rain or so. I tell them that if they still see anything, I will gladly come back and retreat the area. Never once yet lost a customer due to either one of those issues.
    Same here no rinse set expectations. I have pictures that show the roof looking cleaner over a nine day period.
    Clark Hussey
    AP Surface Solutions LLC
    518-396-0972
    Non-pressure Roof Cleaning Albany NY
    Non-pressure House Washing Albany NY

We don't rinse the roofs.
    Eric Seitz
    (717) 324-4208
    1-888-767-0202
    www.roofcleaningpa.com
    www.AEPaintingLLC.com

www.AEPaintingLLC.com

We only rinse when no gutters are present.
    Diamond Roof Cleaning and Powerwashing
    320 E Collings Dr
    Williamstown NJ 08094
    Owner-Michael DeRose Sr.
    www.diamondroofcleaning.com

I'm thinking in this age of "instant gratification", I will probably end up rinsing most, if not all jobs. I don't think people will want to wait until it rains to have their roof look nice. At least that's the mindset up here. Thanks to all who posted. Kind-of disappointing that this thread had 357 views but only 7 responses. But hey, a "newbie" got 7 responses! Guess I can't complain. LOL! I have my first "roof job" this coming Saturday. I will post pics and let you all know how it goes.
    Brody Beyer
    Lakeshore Pressure Washing, LLC
    Two Rivers, WI
    920-242-9040
    www.lakeshorepressurewashing.com

Brody, you tell me, what do you think of this unphotoshopped before and after on this roof? This roof was not rinsed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast