Thread: How would you clean these sandstone pavers?

How would you clean these sandstone pavers?

This is a newly installed sandstone patio. It's part of a renovation, so it's very dirty from all the foot traffic. Most of the stains are just dirt/mud. I don't see any algae or mold or anything like that. Any suggestions on what to use on this?

I have a 4gpm/4000psi machine. I know sandstone is soft and can be damaged by high pressure, so I don't want to drill this stuff. Could I use a surface cleaner with larger orifice tips and use that at lower pressure? If wanding is better, what would be a safe pressure? Or should I avoid all pressure and scrub with a brush, then rinse with ball valve or something?

2013-06-17 09.46.53.jpg2013-06-17 09.46.49.jpg
    Caleb Wininger
    Lake State Cleaning, Inc.
    Oakland County, MI
    www.lakestatecleaning.com

If there's no need for chems and its just dirt why not just get out a mop and bucket and rinse
    Urban Tek Pressure Washing LLC
    Silverton and Salem Oregons
    Premier Pressure Washing Services
    www.urbantekpw.com

I wouldn't waste time with a surface cleaner. A #20 orifice with a sweeping washing motion should do the trick.

the dirt is pretty stubborn. it's been tromped pretty deep. I dont think just mopping and rinsing will work. I did a small test spot with a 2504 and it cleaned up good, whereas a strong rinse with my ball valve didn't clean deep enough. i'm nervous about using that 2504 on the entire surface, I'm afraid it will leave lap marks. should I just test largest nozzle to smallest in my kit till I find the softest one that will still clean deep enough?
    Caleb Wininger
    Oakland County, MI

Prestige Member
    Your answering your own question the answer will be if you have a large enough nozzle in your kit.
    Hal Brown
    Sophia Nc 27350
    www.AbvPressureWashing.com

Quote Originally Posted by kiloman7 View Post
    Your answering your own question the answer will be if you have a large enough nozzle in your kit.
    ok, thanks. I thought that would be a good plan, but I've never done sandstone before so I thought I would get some advice first.
    thanks again.
    Caleb Wininger
    Oakland County, MI