Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Cleaning/Stripping Cedar Deck

Opinions on Cleaning/Stripping Cedar Deck

Hi guys just hoping to get your thoughts on a cedar deck I looked at. It is pretty dark and dirty with not much stain left on it. I figure I have three options to clean/strip it.

1. Downstream a 3 Gal SH/2 Gal H2O/SC mix. Let dwell. Clean with a 25 deg tip. DS F8 to brighten and rinse. (Not sure if this will be strong enough?)

2. Downstream a 5 Gal SH/0 Gal H2O/SC mix. Let dwell. Clean with a 25 deg tip. DS F8 to brighten and rinse. (Hotter DS mix)

3. Direct Spray 1-2 Gal SH/ 3-4 Gal H2O/SC and maybe some F18 mixed in. Let dwell. Clean with a 25 deg tip. DS F8 to brighten and rinse. (Should definitely get the job done will just take longer.)

Just wondering how you guys would attack this one based on your experience? I haven't done a lot of decks but have done enough to know how to do them right. I just haven't done enough to know exactly when to use what process. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Casey Anderson
    www.ivcleanteam.com

Hi Casey. There is no such chemical equation as SH and when you mention it in a deck thread, do you mean sodium hydroxide (deck stripper)?

I would go direct.
    One gallon 12%
    One 2 lb container of F-18
    Water to fill the pail.

Your time will be far less because you will get the job done on the first round. Follow by acid. You won't need a ton of dwell time for strip mix (unless that is an acrylic)

Thanks for the reply Ken. I should have typed 12% SH (sodium hypochlorite). I was thinking direct apply was probably going to be the way to go. I just wanted to make sure I priced the job properly.

Question about the dwell time. I am guessing the black will turn to white once the bleach/stripper has done it's job?
    Casey Anderson
    www.ivcleanteam.com

White or soft enough to be washed away with 800-1000 psi leaving no residue or green.

Finally had a chance to add up the numbers on this one. Just wondering what your opinions are for pricing?

919 SF of decking
    170 LF of railing with spindles
    53 LF of 4 Ft high one-sided cedar wall below one deck

I am looking at around $1,800 for directing applying 12% SH mixture, pressure washing, brightening with F8, and rinsing. (Roughly $1.00 a SF)

This would not include any staining. I am basing my numbers on my past production rates. Am I way off or in the ball park? I bid on a good number of decks and rarely get them. I am almost thinking at $1,800 for cleaning and brightening it would be more cost effective for them to just replace the deck boards and railing. I might just stop bidding on decks if you guys think my numbers are accurate...
    Casey Anderson
    www.ivcleanteam.com

$250, 30 minutes and don't worry about the acid wash.
    William
    Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter.

I'm at 1979.25 with staining.

1413.75 without staining.

If it has an old stain you need to be using stripper to remove it. Otherwise the risk is cleaning the surface dirt and not knowing how it will look underneath

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Charlie Soden
    Apex DeckSavers
    919-302-1523
    NC Deck Restoration, Deck Cleaning and Staining

If your not experienced adding NOAH into a mix work up to knowing what it can do. You will fir the crap out of the wood by doing it . It is easier to blow off some of the green with pressure first then apply come cleaner .

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Finally had a chance to add up the numbers on this one. Just wondering what your opinions are for pricing?

919 SF of decking
    170 LF of railing with spindles
    53 LF of 4 Ft high one-sided cedar wall below one deck

I am looking at around $1,800 for directing applying 12% SH mixture, pressure washing, brightening with F8, and rinsing. (Roughly $1.00 a SF)

This would not include any staining. I am basing my numbers on my past production rates. Am I way off or in the ball park? I bid on a good number of decks and rarely get them. I am almost thinking at $1,800 for cleaning and brightening it would be more cost effective for them to just replace the deck boards and railing. I might just stop bidding on decks if you guys think my numbers are accurate...
    You're high even for my area and model. If it were part of a bigger project, I could come in under $1000. As a standalone, $1,100 or so including materials for a complete strip of that much wood. 5-6 hrs at most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast