Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.5% SH math

12.5% SH math

Hi y'all! I'm no math major but let's see if I have something right or wrong. If I have 12.5% SH and dilute it 1/3 SH to 2/3 water (say 33 gal SH and 66 gal H2O), am I not diluting it by a 1/3? So if I am, 12.5% diluted by 1/3 comes out to approximately 4% SH, right? The reason I ask is: I have a customer that wants me to "trial treat" a small section of his roof. If I'm out of 12.5% SH, can I go buy regular Clorox bleach that has 8% SH and cut it 50/50 and get the same result. Makes sense in my head, but just want some validation. Thanks.
    Brody Beyer
    Lakeshore Pressure Washing, LLC
    Two Rivers, WI
    920-242-9040
    www.lakeshorepressurewashing.com

Super Helper Member
    Just seems store bought bleach at any strength won't clean roofs like the real thing. Eben at full strength. Don't know why.
    Grime Reaper Power Clean & Soft Wash
    Serving North Mississippi
    662-316-7685
    http://grimereaperwashing.tumblr.com

Store bought bleach sits on a shelf for a LONG time. It can breakdown to as low as 1.5%.

I am not sure where I read that, but I know I did...and it makes sense.

Also, don't clean roofs with just bleach and water. Use a surfactant. I throw in a powerful cleaner (not telling) to mask the SH smell as much as possible. Makes it actually smell kinda good.

Also, why a "trial treat"? If he doesn't think it will work, just tell him that if it doesn't, he doesn't have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody View Post
    Hi y'all! I'm no math major but let's see if I have something right or wrong. If I have 12.5% SH and dilute it 1/3 SH to 2/3 water (say 33 gal SH and 66 gal H2O), am I not diluting it by a 1/3? So if I am, 12.5% diluted by 1/3 comes out to approximately 4% SH, right? The reason I ask is: I have a customer that wants me to "trial treat" a small section of his roof. If I'm out of 12.5% SH, can I go buy regular Clorox bleach that has 8% SH and cut it 50/50 and get the same result. Makes sense in my head, but just want some validation. Thanks.

Brody if anything go to a pool store somewhere and buy enough cases to get you by. There has to be one somewhere around your area,and should be open on Saturdays. You can put regular store bought Clorox straight on that roof. You will loosen some surface dirt and those dark stains will keep on smiling at you. Good luck!!
    Greg Lyall
    Cleaner Image Pressure Washing
    Buffalo Ky. 42716
    270-405-6522

I buy the strongest freshest chems I can get. I will not by from a warehouse because they lie about how long its been there and powders ruin a pump.
    Alabama Pro Wash
    Tuscaloosa,Alabama
    http://www.roofcleaningalabama.com/
    205-799-9069
    EMAIL: andy@alabamaprowash.com
    http://youtu.be/kyqjMWcA1hg

12.5 mixed 50/50 + surfactant will work everytime
    W.T. Harris
    W.T.'s Roof Cleaning
    Elizabeth City NC
    harrisw@co.pasquotank.nc.us
    www.wtsroofcleaning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/WTsroofcleaning
    (252)331-9999

You can always use liquid pool shock from a pool supply place. It's 12.5 and I haven't had an issue when I've used it for houses at my normal mix ratio.
    Doug Brown
    Kalamazoo Power Washing
    Portage, MI 269.873.8640
    www.kalamazoopowerwashing.com

I get 55 gal drums of SH at almost 16% made in my town. Sometimes a nasty roof may take a couple of touch ups with even a 50/50 mix. To use store bought bleach is a serious gamble and waste of time. Get the pool shock at store and get it done. Even my 16% degrades real fast so bleach may be salt water by the time you use it.
    Craig
    VC All Purpose Corp.
    Stoughton, MA 02072

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Craig, I was only asking about store bought just for a "trial" treatment. I would NEVER use it for a whole roof job. Also, a new question for y'all: I normally purchase my 12.5% SH for a chemical manufacturer who says their SH is very fresh due to high sales volume. However, I am out of SH and have a small roof job so I bought 2 15 gal. containers from a dairy farm supplier. He said he just got them in (less than a week ago) so I wasn't concerned about "freshness", however, when I looked at the containers, they indicate they were filled 5/13. That's 3 months old. I normally run a 1/3 SH to 2/3 water (+ Gain) mix. Should I increase the strength due to 3 mo. old SH, or do y'all think it's still ok to use at the 33 1/3% ratio??
    Brody Beyer
    Lakeshore Pressure Washing, LLC
    Two Rivers, WI
    920-242-9040
    www.lakeshorepressurewashing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast