Thread: Heat Realated Illness/Injury

Heat Realated Illness/Injury

Guy's just a heads up - OSHA is really cracking down on heat related injuries.

If you have employees and they experience a heat related injury or illness and you have not documented a training session on identifying and preventing these illnesses/injuries - OSHA may come back and fine you.

Just a heads up - don't want anyone to get fined!

Stay safe out there!

-DJ

Some of you guys know this, some don't but I will share so you understand the severity and risk. A few years back I had a new hire die on a jobsite. It was his first day and he did not disclose his medical issues. I was on this particular job and did everything possible to get him stabilized when I realized (within less than an hour) that he had something wrong with him. Not only is it heartbreaking to deal with, I had to immediately notify OSHA. Because it was a mobile jobsite (no scaffolding, etc for them to inspect) I was able to submit my heat exhaustion prevention policy manual and they signed off on it. The OSHA guy was cool because he also asked for this guy's results of his physical but was understanding when I told him I did not make a physical part of new hire policy. Just like your contract can get longer the longer you are in business, you have to adopt legit policies to safeguard yourself the longer you stay in business. I can tell you, and not to sound selfish, I had quite a few sleepless nights wondering if that was the end of my company and my assets. Scary stuff and this type of heat is no joke.

Prestige Member
    Ken, do you have an employee handbook with the heat exhaustion policy listed in it? Or is it a separate document?

I know DJ has handbooks because I remember reading about it on PWI, but wasn't sure if you did or not.
    Chad Johnson
    East Tennessee Power Washing
    Knoxville, Tn.
    865-368-0847
    www.easttnpowerwashing.com

I have an employee manual that has 12 or 13 sections. New hires turn in a signed sheet initialing each chapter/section.

Chad here is the training guide i use .... we call the meeting to order and everyone signs in showing they were present for the training.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/heatillnes...guide_0411.pdf

Prestige Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Carroll View Post
    Chad here is the training guide i use .... we call the meeting to order and everyone signs in showing they were present for the training.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/heatillnes...guide_0411.pdf
    Thanks DJ.
    Chad Johnson
    East Tennessee Power Washing
    Knoxville, Tn.
    865-368-0847
    www.easttnpowerwashing.com