Thread: Workman's Comp.

Workman's Comp.

The people from ADP said that they couldn't help out with workman's comp because of the fact that we clean roofs. Joe walters insurance agency said they can't underwrite it because they can't find a company that will let them in all of their markets.

So, who do you use? Any pointers?

Run as far from Walters as you can. I use Eerie thru my local agent.
    William
    Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter.

I ran into the same problem. We ended up being able to get it through a state program in Pennsylvania. It was quite frustrating until a local insurance company pointed us in the correct direction. Did you ask any local agents or possibly a local builder's association?

Quote Originally Posted by offdutyfireman View Post
    Run as far from Walters as you can. I use Eerie thru my local agent.
    We've had our liability insurance through them for two seasons now. Many in this industry seem to think they are great. Could you PM me and let me in on why you say that? You've been at this a lot longer than me, so I would assume you may know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Reider View Post
    I ran into the same problem. We ended up being able to get it through a state program in Pennsylvania. It was quite frustrating until a local insurance company pointed us in the correct direction. Did you ask any local agents or possibly a local builder's association?
    Not yet. We just started this process on Monday. We are contacting the state workman's comp commission tomorrow. We are waiting on a quote from "Simple work comp" out of Florida.

I gave them a try about 12 years ago. Let multiple messages over the course of months and never got a call back. Tried them a couple of years later and their rates were almost double what I currently paid. Biggest reason is that they support an organization that's trying to put contractors out of business. The PWN@
    William
    Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter.

Interesting. I haven't had any problems so far. Not saying that you are wrong, I just haven't had a problem yet. My premiums are like 900 a year with them for 1 mil coverage. I really have not shopped around though. I do have to get another insurance though, because with them I can't wash anything over three stories high and that limits my commercial opportunities. I would like to know more about how that org is bad for contractors though. Maybe another time.

Ok, back on topic though.

We are getting a quote from that company I mentioned above. The rep asked if our guys will be wearing harnesses. Do any of you know how this affects the rate? I see large, legit roofing companies all the time with 10 guys on a roof and none of them have harnesses.

I tried using one when I first started and it actually made everything a lot more difficult. Only two of my guys will actually be on a roof. My laborers will be staying on the ground.

This workers comp crap is driving me nuts...well, along with all the other stress anyway.

I am still having a heck of a time getting this insurance. Why is it so hard to classify pressure washing companies?

Also, I changed GL insurers because after looking at my policy with JW, I was WAY under insured. In fact, on page 32 it had my company classified as a carpet and upholstery cleaning company. Now how in the world am I covered on a roof, if I am a carpet cleaning company?
    I am paying more now for my GL, but it clearly states what I do.

Oh, and my lead foreman decided this job wasn't for him anymore. So now I'm back in a truck and trying to run sales 2 days a week. Good times.