Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Deck Stripping Job

Recent Deck Stripping Job

I'm fairly pleased with the outcome of this deck and the customer is as well... but they just never seem to come out perfectly. Customers always seem to want a "natural look" they call it. They want the wood to look perfect and to just have a clear sealer. I know clear isn't good protection from UV but occasionally a customer or two is going to insist on it. If I am going to put a clear sealer on it I am going to have to clean the wood up perfectly, with an even and bright coloring.

My problem is when I apply the brightener it doesn't seem to brighten the deck evenly. They always seem to have this uneven color to them. Any comments or advice on the brightening step would be appreciated
    .20151005_131827.jpg20151005_131724.jpg
    Bill
    Weaver Pro Wash
    640 Hagood St.
    Birmingham, AL 35213
    205-337-3427

www.birminghampropressurewash.com

Does it look like I didn't really fully clean it? Do yall think I should apply cleaning solution again and pressure wash it again?
    Bill
    Weaver Pro Wash
    640 Hagood St.
    Birmingham, AL 35213
    205-337-3427

www.birminghampropressurewash.com

I would assume that the deck is not completly stripped, there is still some type of product on the wood correct?
    Steven Mendez
    http://www.westernmainepressurewashing.com
    Wood restoration,house washing, roof washing, deck cleaning and staining, concrete cleaning.

Bill,

I think you are doing a very good job stripping off that old solid stain. Once finished, try oxalic acid at 6 - 8 oz./gal. as a brightener. Give it some dwell time, 15 min. or so should be fine and rinse well.

We generally use citric acid but for very strong stripper jobs, oxalic is stronger and more effective. A light sanding with 60 - 80 grit on the horizontal wood before staining may help a bit with the final appearance.
    - Rick Petry
    Windsor WoodCare
    Ringoes, NJ
    (609) 468-7965 cell
    www.windsorwoodcare.com
    rick@windsorwoodcare.com

Bill that first half of the deck looks perfect. You aren't going to get it much better than that other than defurring/sanding a bit.

In the close to 15 years I have been doing this, I am not exaggerating when I say well over a thousand people have asked for that clear/natural/wet look. Clear sealers applied to date: 0.00
    Its a simple task of letting people know that you use semi trans sealers that will accentuate the grain, not cover it, followed by explaining that it is the pigment that is sacrificial to the sun and their deck will go gray and then the clear will have to be stripped off. (ie. it will look like what they want for a year, then they have to pay all over again to keep it looking that way).

Close them by letting them know you are old school and prefer to use oils which will condition and protect the wood as well as give them the accentuated grain look they want. The final clincher is saying, "I cannot warranty my work if you choose a clear sealer". After that schpiel, nobody wants a clear.

Quote Originally Posted by pressurepros View Post
    ... Close them by letting them know you are old school and prefer to use oils which will condition and protect the wood as well as give them the accentuated grain look they want. The final clincher is saying, "I cannot warranty my work if you choose a clear sealer". After that schpiel, nobody wants a clear.
    Yup, but it not a "schpiel", it is true. Hello Ken. An old salt checking in.
    - Rick Petry
    Windsor WoodCare
    Ringoes, NJ
    (609) 468-7965 cell
    www.windsorwoodcare.com
    rick@windsorwoodcare.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Petry View Post
    Yup, but it not a "schpiel", it is true. Hello Ken. An old salt checking in.
    What's up, sensei? I learned from watching you, Dad. You still an active woody, Rick?

Hey Ken,

Yeah, still in the exterior wood business. Moved up to Ringoes a few yrs. ago and developing good new customers in this area. Don't do the volume we once did as I'm getting a bit older and do not need to work so hard. Another 3 weeks or so and it is winter retirement time. Can't wait! Until early February, when I get itching to get back in business.
    - Rick Petry
    Windsor WoodCare
    Ringoes, NJ
    (609) 468-7965 cell
    www.windsorwoodcare.com
    rick@windsorwoodcare.com

Wood? We got away from sealing all together this year and I think we did lose some jobs but a lot less headaches. Not sure about what to do for sealing next year. I would still love to get some work from the old guy.
    Rolling Suds Inc.
    Brian Wendling
    Power washing in Pa.
    Roof Cleaning in Pa.
    http://Rollingsudsinc.com

Hey Brian,

How's the golf game? Great time of the year to play. No customers ever ask if we do house washes, concrete, roofs, etc. We are known as strictly woodies.
    - Rick Petry
    Windsor WoodCare
    Ringoes, NJ
    (609) 468-7965 cell
    www.windsorwoodcare.com
    rick@windsorwoodcare.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast