Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to keep employees

I do agree with a lot of what you said and I know it was not to be at me or our company. It is true In a lot of ways but to get the right people to want to do what is best for the company is not that easy. I will keep trying to find them.
    Looks like you have been doing a lot of reading. Hopefully you will be able to implement all this on your employees and change from the past.
    Rolling Suds Inc.
    Brian Wendling
    Power washing in Pa.
    Roof Cleaning in Pa.
    http://Rollingsudsinc.com

Brian I thought I remembered you switching to a percentage pay this year to your employees, is that correct?

Brian, I find your situation interesting. I could never relate to this problem because you run a very large Company, and ours is smaller, but I agree with some of Jim's views......From the outside looking in this is a "Leadership" problem not a money problem. And when I say Leadership, I don't mean you, I mean your OP Manager. If he had the guy's backs and not your Company, this is total disrespect and devoid of loyalty to you. I'm also quite sure this attitude was passed down to the employees....hence the lack of respect for the equipment, which is a tale tell sign, and probably just the tip of the iceberg.

In asking the 10 questions of what they want, I would of also ask them...."What are the 10 things "You" could do better for this Company"? Delegating responsibility to the crew leaders....it's their job to make sure equipment is taken care of....Maintenance, small problems, etc. Seems Having to hire a mechanic gives them an excuse to beat the crap out of the equipment....which takes out of your pocket and ultimately "Their" pockets with bonus money that "Could" be there.

Just my $0.02....but it seems it's time for a "Come To Jesus Meeting" with your crew & shake off the last 8 years of incorrect leadership.....Money is not the problem.

You haven't built a successful business by being stupid Brian, far from it.....You know what to do Buddy.
    Pressure Kleen L.L.C.
    Power Washing Service
    Tar-Heel N.C. 28392
    Guy Blackmon 910-876-1594

House Washing Fayetteville N.C.
    Pressure Washing Fayetteville N.C.
    Power Washing Fayetteville N.C.

Prestige Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsuds View Post
    I do agree with a lot of what you said and I know it was not to be at me or our company. It is true In a lot of ways but to get the right people to want to do what is best for the company is not that easy. I will keep trying to find them.
    Looks like you have been doing a lot of reading. Hopefully you will be able to implement all this on your employees and change from the past.
    LOL, I never meant to imply it would easy, especially since you have been doing things one way for 8 years (?). Now you want/need to grow but that means changing yourself to be able to make the changes within the company. I'm not trying to say everything I mentioned is the only way, far from it! But its the best way for ME and thought I would share it with you.

Prestige Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy B View Post
    Brian, I find your situation interesting. I could never relate to this problem because you run a very large Company, and ours is smaller, but I agree with some of Jim's views......From the outside looking in this is a "Leadership" problem not a money problem. And when I say Leadership, I don't mean you, I mean your OP Manager. If he had the guy's backs and not your Company, this is total disrespect and devoid of loyalty to you. I'm also quite sure this attitude was passed down to the employees....hence the lack of respect for the equipment, which is a tale tell sign, and probably just the tip of the iceberg.

In asking the 10 questions of what they want, I would of also ask them...."What are the 10 things "You" could do better for this Company"? Delegating responsibility to the crew leaders....it's their job to make sure equipment is taken care of....Maintenance, small problems, etc. Seems Having to hire a mechanic gives them an excuse to beat the crap out of the equipment....which takes out of your pocket and ultimately "Their" pockets with bonus money that "Could" be there.

Just my $0.02....but it seems it's time for a "Come To Jesus Meeting" with your crew & shake off the last 8 years of incorrect leadership.....Money is not the problem.

You haven't built a successful business by being stupid Brian, far from it.....You know what to do Buddy.
    You're right, money is not the problem.

The OP manager gets his "marching orders" from Brian, he is the leader of everyone.

Brian has some choices on how to handle the marching orders.

1) set goals and let the OPM handle it
    2) set goals and tell the OPM how to handle it
    3) let the OPM set the goals and implement them his way
    4) have a meeting with everyone, explain how the business is run, business goals, chain of command, how issues will be handled and how they will not be handled, explain how failures affect the entire team/business/wages, explain how they will start every week with a debrief of the previous week and talk about how to improve the process.

#4 gets everyone on the same page and as long as Brian walks the walk, not just talk the talk, the process will become smoother for everyone. That Monday morning meeting will will pay for itself when issues start to disappear, moral improves and jobs are completed more efficiently.

Thanks, All great stuff. The guy I had as ops manager really only did the job for the last year. He has worked for us for 8 years running a truck and doing a lot of other work. When I moved him into this job at the beginning of the year it was all spelled out for him. I did ask all the employees also how they can help the company and for them to let me know if they have any good ideas. Also my older son is coming back from Australia next week and will be done school. He will be the new Vise president and GM that will help me and the company a lot. I already put new goals and his responsibilities together. He is very mature at 23 and will do a great job. Funny that I started this company at 23.

I am very excited about starting with some new guys and new goals for everyone. We will implement new responsibilities for all the employees and make sure they all know this is a service industry and we must not only take care of the customers but be sales man. It does get hard to let go and let others run things.
    Rolling Suds Inc.
    Brian Wendling
    Power washing in Pa.
    Roof Cleaning in Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    This is not an attack on you Brian, I am using you as an example since you opened this can of worms

Taking a turn, or better put, returning back to my military training, leadership and training start at the top and end at the top (its been a crazy and educational year for me!!)

If your ops manager did not demand much from the crews, that is because you did not make it clear to him what his responsibilities are. Also, "demanding" anything from the crews will eventually fail, they need to "want" to do things the right way the first time because it is the right thing to do for the company

If the crews are not taking care of equipment, that is your fault (the business owner) for not making it clear what their responsibilities are.

All failures lead back to you (the business owner) and all successes lead back to everyone else. If your leadership style is about finding blame for everything that goes wrong, everyone under you will do the same because that is the example you are setting.

If you take responsibility for failures while at the same time explaining what went wrong and how to prevent it in the future, they will learn how to do that.

There is no blaming, only solutions to issues that may arise in the future. At the end of the week, you should have a meeting going over the issues, solutions and praise everyone for their hard work to make the company (their company) the best there is. It may also be a good way to start off on Monday mornings, with coffee and donuts and get everyone pumped up for the new week. But whatever is said, must be spoken from the heart, not read from a script.

Granted, not everyone will follow your lead, but the bad ones can and should be replaced. And some currently poor employees may improve dramatically when given vision, goals, a successful path to follow and a leader to learn from.
    Dang Jim, solid gold.

I have lived out that leadership style before I retired and then started pressure washing. The common answer to "what do you want to do when you grow up?" Was "to work for Tim Fields". Grown men that would follow me through hell because they knew that I had their back. I paid them well, but that was just a sign of respect. There are many men who will give their all because they believe in the cause. Those who chose not to buy into the one for all and all for one were freed up to seek opportunities elsewhere. It's not for everybody.
    Hagerstown Pressure Washing contractors
    Full Color Contractor Yard Signs

Tim Fields
    Complete Power Wash
    sign2day.com
    Hagerstown, MD

Hence a "Good employee is your companies most valuable asset".
    John Tornabene
    Clean County Powerwashing
    www.cleancounty.com
    PWNA/PWRA member

I think a good employee is very valuable but sales is the most important thing. Without sales nothing else happens.
    I have been through a lot of employees and without good leadership it can go wrong fast.
    Rolling Suds Inc.
    Brian Wendling
    Power washing in Pa.
    Roof Cleaning in Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsuds View Post
    I think a good employee is very valuable but sales is the most important thing. Without sales nothing else happens.
    I have been through a lot of employees and without good leadership it can go wrong fast.
    I think that falls into a "good employee being your most valuable asset" if your delegating. Such as having a sales leader, crew leader etc.

If your not delegating those things then that would make you the most valuable asset which could become a defeatist attitude. That's how most 1 man operation guys think which is why they have so much problems expanding because they won't release the control to get those "valuable assets".
    Last edited by John T.; 11-16-2015 at 12:35 PM.
    John Tornabene
    Clean County Powerwashing
    www.cleancounty.com
    PWNA/PWRA member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast