Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roof Cleaning Chemical Test ***vs***vs***

Quote Originally Posted by jafisher View Post
    Next roof I do I am going to go without any surfactant/soap and see what happens. Don't know for sure until you try, thanks Ken.
    Definitely let me/us know your results. I did not give the cling additives any type of documented or long term trial and other guys swear by them so I am open to being offbase in my analysis.

Squirt
    I have a roof job on Friday, and I will let you know how it goes. This will be a good one to test because it is really dirty and there aren't many plants around the building because it is commercial.
    Jason Fisher
    Alpha Pressure Washing LLC
    Beaufort, South Carolina
    843-473-0004

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your wife told you to.

Make sure the Windows don't get any over spray on them or you'll be cleaning them
    Rick Warnack
    Crystal Clean Pressure Washing llc
    3071 Abbey St.
    St. Charles , Mo 63301
    314-243-0284
    www.CrystalCleanPressureWashingllc.com

Pressure Washing Saint Louis

Pressure Washing Saint Charles

Squirt
    Alright I have completed two different roof cleaning jobs without the use of any surfactants. The end results are just as good without surfactants as they are with surfactants. The roofs were both asphalt shingled roofs and the pitch wasn't steep. The problems

are in the time that it takes to attain 100% coverage and the use of roof mix is greater per job than with surfactants mixed in. Runoff was controlled to a minimum due to me using a Udor chemical pump and adjusting the flow to around 3 GPM (I tested it in a

5'er). My mix was 70% water and 30% SH (12.5%). With the suggested mix ratios of Cling-on you could make 640 gallons of roof mix for around $100 I believe the surfactant is worth the cost based on my testing. The time that I normally spend to clean a roof

of similar size was about an 30 minutes less with the use of a surfactant and I also used about 10 more gallons of mix without the surfactants. Final decision: the roofs can be cleaned without the use of surfactants, however the surfactants save both time and

material by helping the SH to work on the surface longer.
    Jason Fisher
    Alpha Pressure Washing LLC
    Beaufort, South Carolina
    843-473-0004

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your wife told you to.

Great analysis, Jason. Thanks for posting that up.

I would still note that each situation differs, like Ken said, if there is a lot of landscape you'll spend more time rinsing. I use both methods, just depends on the situation. At the end of the day I usually care less about my bottom line and more about my quality and damage control. The continuance of happy customers always leads to referrals which has always kept me high up in the black.
    Jeremy Guillot
    Associated Facility Services - AFS
    Owner/Operator - Facility Consultant
    Hattiesburg, MS 39402
    www.afspinebelt.com

Pressure pros is exactly correct. It's not rocket science and the ARMA has kinda done all the studies we need.
    Jonathan Zarzour
    Xtreme Cleanz
    Birmingham Alabama
    www.xtremecleanz.com
    205-966-0000

Quote Originally Posted by jafisher View Post
    Alright I have completed two different roof cleaning jobs without the use of any surfactants. The end results are just as good without surfactants as they are with surfactants. The roofs were both asphalt shingled roofs and the pitch wasn't steep. The problems

are in the time that it takes to attain 100% coverage and the use of roof mix is greater per job than with surfactants mixed in. Runoff was controlled to a minimum due to me using a Udor chemical pump and adjusting the flow to around 3 GPM (I tested it in a

5'er). My mix was 70% water and 30% SH (12.5%). With the suggested mix ratios of Cling-on you could make 640 gallons of roof mix for around $100 I believe the surfactant is worth the cost based on my testing. The time that I normally spend to clean a roof

of similar size was about an 30 minutes less with the use of a surfactant and I also used about 10 more gallons of mix without the surfactants. Final decision: the roofs can be cleaned without the use of surfactants, however the surfactants save both time and

material by helping the SH to work on the surface longer.
    Good to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

If the roof cleaning solution has not been tested previously , first you should have a test done for it. Occasional cleaning as such may not harm your roof, but repeated use of harsh chemicals or pressure cleaning can damage or shorten the life of shingles. When it comes to moss, after cleaning of moss, ensure that the shade is removed. Turning its environment extremely acidic or into base environment and taking away moisture from the moss would keep moss at bay. Household items are highly effective at killing moss. White distilled Vinegar, Orange Juice, lemon Juice, tomato juice in their diluted form are good acids meanwhile baking soda, baking powder, salt etc are good bases. Check this article more simple tips on roof cleaning http://www.royalyorkroofing.ca/blog/...our-tile-roof/ . Remember regular cleaning would result in wear and peel off paint and coating on your tiles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12