Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I explain the moss death process to a disappointed customer?

Never cared for the term "spray and pray" for all the roofs I have done, I have only had to go back once to get moss off. I have rinsed roofs in the past and my experience is it doesn't make a difference. As Ken and John have said its all in how you manage your customers expectations.
    Clark Hussey
    AP Surface Solutions LLC
    518-396-0972
    Non-pressure Roof Cleaning Albany NY
    Non-pressure House Washing Albany NY

Well I finally was able to get the job done 3 months after the initial application. The client kept having reasons why my available days wouldn't work out and then on two visits my machine broke down and it was an 1 1/2 hour drive from my shop to the house so the days were shot. Even after three months, there was still a significant amount of moss on the roof. I ended up having to put on a harness and rappel down the roof with a 40 degree tip and blast the moss off. The rhizoids were so firmly embedded in the concrete tiles that the dead moss simply wouldn't come off. During the waiting period, the client insisted that he had to clean his own windows since we missed doing a couple. (We didn't, it's just that the interior side of the glass was filthy.) And when I arrived for the final service, the windows all clearly had 3 months of soiling in dusty/pollen conditions. So, to avoid getting blamed for putting dirt on his windows I ended up re-washing all the windows on the house.
    1 month later after sending final after photos and him personally visiting this vacation home, he paid in full for the roof clean and cleaning 50 exterior windows: $1080.
    I really screwed up the bid and my understanding of the cleaning process. Lesson learned.

Ouch. I think I remember seeing the beginning of this. If your mix was strong enough and you had a few decent rains, the moss should have been easier to remove.

Good job with the windows! It was definitely a loss for at the moment however, by doing so, you keep the customer happy.

Mike
    Michael Heward
    Coastal Cleaning Service
    Serving Central and Southern Anne Arundel County
    Millersville,MD.
    www.coastalcleaningmd.com

My mix was around 6% and I went over most of the roof twice with it. But even after a few heavy rain and hail storms, there wasn't much moss removed naturally. That's why I had to resort to PW removal.

Sadly after he paid, the customer's response was, I should have gone with someone who knew what they were doing.
    Last edited by MPServices; 02-01-2017 at 01:46 AM.

Did everything turn "pure" white after the application?

Mike
    Michael Heward
    Coastal Cleaning Service
    Serving Central and Southern Anne Arundel County
    Millersville,MD.
    www.coastalcleaningmd.com

Quote Originally Posted by MPServices View Post
    My mix was around 6% and I went over most of the roof twice with it. But even after a few heavy rain and hail storms, there wasn't much moss removed naturally. That's why I had to resort to PW removal.

Sadly after he paid, the customer's response was, I should have gone with someone who knew what they were doing.
    That's the most heartbreaking thing any self respecting contractor can hear. It would be for me anyway. Even though you know you cannot please everyone, it can fill you with self doubt. How long of a time period did you allow? I make people sign off on 6 weeks with several rain/sun cycles. There has to be ample time to allow for the organic material to decay. With heavy growth I give price options based on their expected outcome. The base price is spray and wait. Tier two pricing includes either getting up there or using extension poles and brushing to remove the majority of the growth before the chems are applied. Tier three is we come back and wash off remaining debris. When I present the customer with the options I may price simple chem app at $595, Tier 2 with brushing at $750 and Tier three is billed as two separate visits. ($595+$450)

I have in our contract 2-4 months with adequate rain fall. For lichen i have 6 months. I always tell my customers that pw the roof is such a bad idea and if they go that route to just call a roofer and have a new roof put on. But if they want to save their roof and money to allow the time period that we ask for. I have never had to go back to a roof becuase of moss. It will come off and just like the Philadelphia 76's say " trust the process".
    Diamond Roof Cleaning and Powerwashing
    320 E Collings Dr
    Williamstown NJ 08094
    Owner-Michael DeRose Sr.
    www.diamondroofcleaning.com

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Roof Cleaning LLC View Post
    I have in our contract 2-4 months with adequate rain fall. For lichen i have 6 months. I always tell my customers that pw the roof is such a bad idea and if they go that route to just call a roofer and have a new roof put on. But if they want to save their roof and money to allow the time period that we ask for. I have never had to go back to a roof becuase of moss. It will come off and just like the Philadelphia 76's say " trust the process".
    You're right Mike,..and I always tell the customer with as much respect as possible that the issue should have been taken care of way before now,..You can't wait for it to be covered with growth and then have expectations of instant damage free gratification. Although some moss can be rinsed or brushed away initially if I choose,..anything that's sticking has to stay,..and like you mention,..especially Lichen. This is an easy sell when worded properly.

On an easy access roof I will often get up and push the loose stuff off and then use a leaf blower to finish up. I do this to get the ball rolling,.and it also can save alot of cleaner,..moss really soaks it up, and the more I can remove,.the less cleaner i have to use.

Jeff
    Jeff Wible
    Raystown Roof Cleaning
    Serving Central Pa Since 1996
    T.V Commercial

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123