Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I explain the moss death process to a disappointed customer?

Thanks for the advice guys. I already had in mind that I'd go back and rinse before I even talked to him. Just got off the phone and he's happy to let me come back and do what I can. I'm happy to do it without asking for more money and take it as a learning experience.
    My questions is how do I rinse now? Is it really necessary to re-treat? On the initial visit I treated the roof twice at 6% and every bit of moss turned bright white (I sent him pictures which I attached.)
    The roof is not walkable. There are no roof anchors or tie-off points. I can't tie off to my truck bumper except for one end which is ~1/5 of the roof area and there are no trees nearby. The roof is a fragile concrete tile. I've walked this type of roofing material before but nothing this steep and there were already broken tiles everywhere from other contractors.
    In Oregon you have to be licensed for moss removal. I'm the only company licensed within 3 hours of this guy. Sure, there are pressure washers out there who would just blast the roof but I dont' want to put high pressure water on his roof and take the chance of blowing water up backwards through a poorly covered spot and have it go under the underlayment.
    Roof 01 Before.jpgRoof 02 After.jpgRoof 03 Before.jpgRoof 04 After.jpg
    Last edited by MPServices; 05-31-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks for this response. No offense taken from your direct advice. I did the roof twice with housewash soap and SH diluted to 6% mix sprayed from Bob's Fatboy. I hit the tile edges from the eave with my rinsing tip and the moss wouldn't budge yet. About 15% would break loose but the rest held on. That's why I told him ahead of time that the moss would fall off naturally since I was sure that the rhizoids would have deep embedment in the tile joints.

How many of you guys here have experience with tile roof?
    Last edited by MPServices; 05-31-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave mac View Post
    did you send him a scope of work in writing? if not suck it up fix it and make him happy. learn for next time
    @pressurepros
    I used responsibid to set up the job and my system has the scope of work explaining that an herbicide is used to kill the moss. But in our initial phone conversation I talked about walking the roof and that's what he remembered.

Just move on to your next job and let time take care of this roof. If the moss is brown it will come off. Just apologize for the misunderstanding and tell him when the roof is moss free you will like to be paid but you can also knock a small percentage off the bill for the "Non- instant" gratification.

Jeff
    Jeff Wible
    Raystown Roof Cleaning
    Serving Central Pa Since 1996
    T.V Commercial

Sometimes the "Spray and pray", "Spray and walkaway" or whatever people call this method just doesn't work. If this was my customer and we completed a roof job that came out like that I wouldn't expect him to pay either.

Sometimes on a roof that isn't asphalt you need a little pressure to complete the job. By me there's a company that cleans slate roofs and they own their own lift just for that purpose. Its the hype of the word "Softwash" that has so many brainwashed that you should never apply pressure anywhere when cleaning and with that mindset this is why your job came out the way it did. Sometimes the truth hurts but I'm only telling you this so you know for the next time. Good luck.
    John Tornabene
    Clean County Powerwashing
    www.cleancounty.com
    PWNA/PWRA member

[QUOTE=John T.;204904]Sometimes the "Spray and pray", "Spray and walkaway" or whatever people call this method just doesn't work. If this was my customer and we completed a roof job that came out like that I wouldn't expect him to pay either.

Sometimes on a roof that isn't asphalt you need a little pressure to complete the job. By me there's a company that cleans slate roofs and they own their own lift just for that purpose. Its the hype of the word "Softwash" that has so many brainwashed that you should never apply pressure anywhere when cleaning and with that mindset this is why your job came out the way it did. Sometimes the truth hurts but I'm only telling you this so you know for the next time. Good luck.[/QUOTE

I agree, John. Either you set customer expectations or you get up there and wash it. I've done a bunch of slate roofs and never washed them but customer was well aware of the outcome and time factor. $1,500 vs $3,500 may have had something to do with that. Contracts, Contracts, Contracts.

If moss is killed dead,.it will come off. It has no choice but to degrade over time and fall away,..simply because that's what nature does with dead matter.

John,..It's not "Spray and Pray",...If you use the correct strength and amount,... it will kill it dead enough to fall away over time. I agree that the softwash term has been over sold in the last few years,..but some cases have nothing to do with ones unwillingness to use pressure to rinse,..it has to do with access and safety and the cost a customer is willing to or able to pay.

Example:,....So what if we have a customer,.that doesn't want to pay,.or can't pay the cost it takes to do the job to a completed outcome,..with rigging or lifts,..etc,..Do we not offer anything that will help,..even if it takes 6 months,...so what,...it's better than not doing anything,..otherwise the growth just keeps growing.

I've done many of these jobs where I spray and walk away,..and the customer is aware of the details,...and have never been called back,..and when I get close to one of these jobs I check them out and feel secure in the sell of these.

Jeff
    Jeff Wible
    Raystown Roof Cleaning
    Serving Central Pa Since 1996
    T.V Commercial

Its all a matter of what you sold to your customer. My customers would never go for "It will he gone 6 months after we treat it". We also rinse after every job including roofs because we go by what "ARMA" states to do with Asphalt roofs which is pretty much the only type roofs we have and clean here in my neck of the woods. We also always go back if our customer is unhappy because word of mouth is huge for my business.
    John Tornabene
    Clean County Powerwashing
    www.cleancounty.com
    PWNA/PWRA member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast