Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chemical to clean pavers

Squirt

Question Chemical to clean pavers

Hey guys,

Not a pro here. I want to clean my in-laws 4,000 sq. foot patio made up of all pavers. I do not own a surface cleaner, just a residential pressure washer. What is the best chemical cleaner for pavers to make this job easier/quicker.

Thank you,
    Kevin

Depends on what's on them. Most of the time water will do the job. You will probably need to re-sand them after cleaning. 4,000 square feet is a big job.
    Clark Hussey
    AP Surface Solutions LLC
    518-396-0972
    Non-pressure Roof Cleaning Albany NY
    Non-pressure House Washing Albany NY

Spray or use a watering can to apply a 3% solution of bleach and water with some dish soap added for wetting and penetration and walk away. They will look alot better without blowing the sand all over your legs. And you'll be glad you went this route. Consideration of being a homeowner is why I used rudimentary term for sh and surfactant,Ha,Ha,..

Jeff
    Jeff Wible
    Raystown Roof Cleaning
    Serving Central Pa Since 1996
    T.V Commercial

Squirt
    Hi Jeff,

I'll try out this solution. Thanks for the info. Surfactant I looked up, I still don't know what it means. LOL. But what the heck is "sh"?

Thank you,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KevinOB View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I'll try out this solution. Thanks for the info. Surfactant I looked up, I still don't know what it means. LOL. But what the heck is "sh"?

Thank you,
    Kevin
    SH is aterm used by many in the industry to denote sodium hypochlorite (bleach). Its not the correct chemical formulation which is why you couldn't find it. To clean up pavers, get outdoor Clorox from Home Depot. You may be able to get away with mixing it 50/50 with water. Experiment with a dilution that kills the mold completely in 15 minutes or so. If you have moss growth, you wil want to wash it.. which mean probable resanding.

Squirt
    Hey Ken,

Ok, got it now. Thanks. I think I know what I'll be doing this Saturday morning.

Thank you guys.
    Kevin

I love the internet.
    Kevin you just went from a few hours of pressure washer work to a spray and walk away. Enjoy the rest of your Saturday.
    Rodger Boggs
    Winter Wash
    Rodger@winterwash.com
    720-725-4595
    c/t 303-885-000
    191 University 695
    Denver CO 80216

Squirt
    Hey Roger,

I was thinking exactly the same thing! I tried doing a small section about 2 weeks ago. It took me about 15 minutes to do a 3'x5' area. I was just blasting it with the high pressure gun. It would take about 12 hours at that rate. I thought there has to be a better way. Lo and behold, this group graces me with this new found knowledge. Now just spray it and leave it or rinse with some low pressure. Let the chemicals do the work and I am out of there! Love it. I'll update everyone after I complete the work this weekend. Thanks everyone!

-Kevin

And also Kevin,..blasting with just water won't only not clean as well,..but the results won't last as long as when you kill the mold at the "roots". Pavers are porous and you may need 2-3 applications,..The addition of just a little soap will allow for better dwell before drying. Also,.doing this in the morning out of the Sun will also help,...as long as the pavers aren't glistening from morning dew you'll be ok.

If you decide to rinse,..due to people walking on it before it rains and gets diluted down,..You should be able to rinse with the soap nozzle that likely came with your washer,.it would be the black one,..just whisk at the pavers at an angle.

*The Outdoor Clorox Ken mentioned may have a soap in it already?? I have seen it and if I remember right it is much thicker than regular bleach in a bottle.

Jeff
    Jeff Wible
    Raystown Roof Cleaning
    Serving Central Pa Since 1996
    T.V Commercial

Jeff, its approx 6% sodium hypochlorite, 1% sodium hydroxide and surfactant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast