Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Experience: EBC on driveway oil stains (pics)

Squirt

My Experience: EBC on driveway oil stains (pics)

Driveway has had oil on it since I first saw it a year ago. Not sure how long it's actually been there total. I asked the homeowner if I could test an oil stain remover, no charge to him.

On the 2 right stains, I sprayed 100% EBC through a pump sprayer. The 2 left stains had a 50/50 mix of EBC/water through pump sprayer. Soak time was about 10-15 minutes, followed by agitation with a broom.

I have a 5.6/2500 cold water machine and didn't use any other chems other than EBC.

I ran my surface cleaner over entire driveway, then rinsed with my white tip.

The final result: unacceptable. The driveway is much cleaner, making the stains stand out more than before.

Other than the, "you need hot water" answer, does this driveway have a chance?
    Miguel Flores
    HiFlo Pressure Washing
    Tomball, TX
    832-422-6326

No. vendors and contractors will promise the moon but you can't get oil out of concrete. The physics are against it. You can force it deeper into the concrete. You can lighten it. You can cover it. It will eventually be back. We don't clean driveways for residential because I feel it is a waste of money for the homeowner and tell them so. Only reason we have surface cleaners is for breezeways and apartments sidewalks.
    William
    Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter.

Quote Originally Posted by offdutyfireman View Post
    No. vendors and contractors will promise the moon but you can't get oil out of concrete. The physics are against it. You can force it deeper into the concrete. You can lighten it. You can cover it. It will eventually be back. We don't clean driveways for residential because I feel it is a waste of money for the homeowner and tell them so. Only reason we have surface cleaners is for breezeways and apartments sidewalks.

which begs the question what is different about the sidewalk at a apartment complex then at a homeowners house LOL I had to ask , have a great memorial weekend William.

I am with you on oil stains no time for that,

You don't usually find a lot of oil on sidewalks and apartments with green sidewalks don't get funding when yearly investors tour happens. I'll take money from investors but not homeowners. That's like telling someone their roof will be ruined if they don't wash it. I can't do that to people. But I don't mind taking it from a consortium of investors that own apartments. Maybe I have double standards I'm just me.
    William
    Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter.

You can never ever guarantee or promise...."Complete Concrete Stain Removal"....there is NO possible way to clean....Below the surface of concrete. It doesn't matter if you use heat or not, it doesn't matter what chem you use.........Set Customer expectations from get-go.

That being said, some concrete cleans up well.........most concrete doesn't.
    Pressure Kleen L.L.C.
    Power Washing Service
    Tar-Heel N.C. 28392
    Guy Blackmon 910-876-1594

House Washing Fayetteville N.C.
    Pressure Washing Fayetteville N.C.
    Power Washing Fayetteville N.C.

Squirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy B View Post
    You can never ever guarantee or promise...."Complete Concrete Stain Removal"....there is NO possible way to clean....Below the surface of concrete. It doesn't matter if you use heat or not, it doesn't matter what chem you use.........Set Customer expectations from get-go.

That being said, some concrete cleans up well.........most concrete doesn't.
    Hi Guy, thanks for the reply. Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

I hope I didn't imply I was setting the driveway owner's expectations high. I just told him I wanted to try a new product I got my hands on, that's all.
    Miguel Flores
    HiFlo Pressure Washing
    Tomball, TX
    832-422-6326

If you compare the pics back to back it actually looks like the stains got larger..
    Max Hubbard
    Owner, Hubbard Painting, LLC
    www.hubbardpaintingllc.com
    Seattle, WA

I have noticed with EBC (and other chemicals as well), that when cleaning the oil stain I only seem to be "moving " it! It lightens up, but it seems like I'm spreading it out. I NEVER tell customers that oil stains will completely disappear, but it's odd that I just seem to be lightening them, then relocating them!!

Are you "dampening" the surrounding area with water or a weak soap solution before going after the intended area?

Mike
    Michael Heward
    Coastal Cleaning Service
    Serving Central and Southern Anne Arundel County
    Millersville,MD.
    www.coastalcleaningmd.com

We have come to a point where a brand is bought due to photos and a persons marking personality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast