Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SH Fumes in Enclosed Cargo Trailer

SH Fumes in Enclosed Cargo Trailer

I know the damage SH fumes can cause to metals and electrical in an enclosed non-vented space, how does everyone pulling an enclosed trailer deal with that? I'm buying a new trailer and washer and I'm worried the SH fumes will destroy them. I really want a Cargo over a Utility trailer. Should the SH be taken out between jobs? What if you're using 35 or 55 gallon drums, are they vented like gallon jugs or non?

I've been cleaning pools for decades and started off with gallon jugs in the back of my SUV, besides constantly breathing the fumes the metal parts in the SUV started oxidizing but I got a pick up to haul them around in before the electrical started going.

Any advice?
    Gary Twing
    Clean Right Pro Wash, LLC
    Medford, OR
    CleanRightProWash.com

Hmmm, the board is oddly silent!
    Gary Twing
    Medford, OR
    CleanRightProWash.com

Hi Gary,

It's a pita however, I don't generally leave much SH sitting in my enclosed over night. I load what I feel will be needed for the days work and add a little extra in my van just in case I under estimated the amount needed.
    I'm pretty much 100 percent resi and generally work solo so I don't use nearly as much as other folks. On my busiest days, I don't normally use more than 40 gals per day.

Mike

You would have to engineer and build it to military or aircraft spec to really prevent it. Minimize it by sealing chem tanks and cleaning up spills quickly. Use good quality hose and do regular maintenance checks of clamps and couplers. Other than that.. its the nature of the beast.

Ken touched on several very good points! Keep the tanks sealed as much as possible and do clean up any spills as quickly as possible. I ordered my enclosed Carmate in April of 02 and took delivery of it that September. One of the first things I added was a Rubber Queen cargo mat which is designed for full size "extended" cargo vans. My trailer is a 6 x 12 Deep V front. The cargo mat extends up the side walls by approx. 4" and goes from the back doors along the full 12' and extends into the V front section by a few inches. It has been wonderful at protecting the floor. My trailer has held up extremely well and shows virtually no signs of SH corrosion. But, I'm very careful to keep the equipment in good condition and very cautious when handling the SH.

Some folks may give rubber cargo mats a "not so good" rap however, with care, they will outlast almost any other floor protector. The extra bonus to the floor mat is, stuff doesn't slide around on it... A roof vent is a must have!

Mike
    Michael Heward
    Coastal Cleaning Service
    Serving Central and Southern Anne Arundel County
    Millersville,MD.
    www.coastalcleaningmd.com

Thanks for the input guys, what are your thoughts about having Linex sprayed on the floor to protect it from any spills or water?
    Gary Twing
    Medford, OR
    CleanRightProWash.com

Rhino or linex only last about a year. Until I switched to all aluminium i just replaced the floors of my trailers and box trucks every other year. Herculiner from an auto parts store does the same job for $100 as a $800 professional spay job.
    William
    Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter.

Quote Originally Posted by gtwing View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, what are your thoughts about having Linex sprayed on the floor to protect it from any spills or water?
    linex is made for this application, its doing much better then other things I have tried, but the bottom of the frame needs to be sealed up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by offdutyfireman View Post
    Rhino or linex only last about a year. Until I switched to all aluminium i just replaced the floors of my trailers and box trucks every other year. Herculiner from an auto parts store does the same job for $100 as a $800 professional spay job.
    Thanks for the tip on the Herculiner, picked up a couple gal kits from Lowes for $69 each & a quart if needed. It's a 7 x 14 cargo trailer so I want to do the floor & up the walls probably 6 to 12 inches. The product looks good, one plus is that you can patch a scrapped or worn area without redoing the whole thing like the spray ons.
    Gary Twing
    Medford, OR
    CleanRightProWash.com

you will need three coats for it to be any good, I used that before and it sucked I only put two coats on though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast