Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inside sales for commercial business

Brian, I wasn't putting blame on you but at the end of the day everything comes back to us as owners. It wasn't my intention to berate you in any way. We're friends. My point was that you have the right to ask your sales people to generate leads. When they are not actively selling a part of their job should be making cold calls. That's the best way to generate commercial leads that I have found. You could provide some marketing support for them in way of leave-behind flyers or coffee mugs to bring to property management companies, etc. They should be building CRM pipelines and constantly following up. Its a numbers and time game.

I just partnered in a retail remodeling showroom and for the past two weeks I have been making cold calls to contractors, sitting at every local Lowe's and Home Depot to find the contractors that have their shit together and talking to them every morning from 6:45-8:30. I joined a BNI group on The Main Line with 64 members of very motivated business owners. I'm planning on attending other Facebook functions and we are going to be doing home shows in Feb, April and May. Those are all similar things you can have your guys do.

PS: I will bring you flowers next time we meet up.

I understand what you are saying about them making calls and for them to go out and get sales but we are talking about a small power washing company in the north east. What I am saying is that even a good sales man would need a lot of help with getting good leads. If a great sales guy was to go out with a company like mine would have a hard time making money. We all know that in the first couple weeks they can make a lot of calls and give estimates but those jobs will take a lot of time to get the job done. We do a lot of commercial jobs that take a year or 2 till we do them so a great sales guy would have a hard time and would move on to another job. I think even I would have a hard time with all my knowledge and I am a good sales guy not great because I get sidetracked easy. So can anyone really think they can go out without any leads and sell 200,000-300,000-500,000 a year. Maybe you can get into a chain of hotels or office buildings that could help but it is very hard and after some time they would move on. So a good sales guy in this business still need a lot of help with the company helping supply leads. Also once you clean the building then it is good for 3-4-5 years, they would rather work for a company that is more repeat.
    I am not trying to be negative about a sales guy being able to do this job just trying to be realistic about them doing a good job and making money would take years.
    Rolling Suds Inc.
    Brian Wendling
    Power washing in Pa.
    Roof Cleaning in Pa.
    http://Rollingsudsinc.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12