Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First ever Pressure washing job: Roast me!

First ever Pressure washing job: Roast me!

Seriously, please tell me what i did wrong, or should have done differently.

Customer loved the job, and we made decent money, but I know the equipment was undersized, and the quality of the job wasn't great, too many deep black spots left.

Details:

MY Equipment:
    2700PSI 3.5GPM Kasher 2700 (filthy casual machine)
    15" EZCLEAN surface cleaner
    Standard 25 degree nozzle for edges.

Surface:
    1200 sqft stamped concrete. Unsealed.
    1000 sqft tinted driveway, also stamped (seemed different finish though).

I tried some over the counter ZEP Cherry pressure washer stuff from home depot: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.z...000149539.html
    It didn't seem to have a noticable difference.

I also tried 1:5 chlorox pre treat. it also didn't seem to have any effect.

I charged $0.25 sqft for pool deck, and $0.20 per sqft for drievway and walkways.

----

So... what did I do wrong, what could I have done better, what should I have charged? I know the equipment is underpowered, but it was a landscaping client and this was my first pressure wash, but hardscape is very popular in our area, so I am looking into branching into this direction.

Pics are:
    Before
    Before
    During
    After
    After
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perhaps you should introduce yourself. Tell us who you are and where you are from. I'll tell you the first thing you did wrong was washing the concrete before the pool was open. Other than that it looks like you need to do some more cleaning. Feel free to call me with any questions.
    Clark Hussey
    AP Surface Solutions LLC
    518-396-0972
    Non-pressure Roof Cleaning Albany NY
    Non-pressure House Washing Albany NY

Quote Originally Posted by apsurfacesolutions View Post
    Perhaps you should introduce yourself. Tell us who you are and where you are from. I'll tell you the first thing you did wrong was washing the concrete before the pool was open. Other than that it looks like you need to do some more cleaning. Feel free to call me with any questions.
    Thanks for the response:

Intro:
    My name is Blair, I run a small Landscaping company outside of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Back in the day I used to work in a smokehouse, where we cleaned stainless steel cookhouses with Caustic and high pressure. I loved it, and this year I offered to clean a clients pool deck, and it re-kindled my love of pressure washing.

I'm interested in turning this into a major operation for pressure washing, because there is a lot of hardscape here, and in all my landscaping travels I NEVER see pressure washing, or advertised.

Vinyl is rarer here, and doesn't seem to be as moldy as a lot of the pictures, so I don't think house-wash or roof wash will be a primary business. It seems like Hardscape is more likely.

Re: Job

I opened the pool cover before I pressure washed, so we didn't miss any spots.

When you say "more cleaning", you mean higher PSI? Because the surface as clean as the Surface cleaner would do it. Even a close up wand didn't appear to get the concrete any cleaner. Would you suggest a chemical cleaner?

And thanks for the offer, I will definitely call.
    Last edited by Unraveller; 05-22-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Blair,

You need to set up a signature or you'll get a lot of flak. Your pricing is in line but you should downstream at least a 3 to 2 ratio (3 gal 12.5% chlorine to 2 gal water - Laundry bleach is too weak) and 5 oz. of PressureTek's Elemonator http://pressuretek.com/el1ga.html Retail store wash solutions just don't work that well. Downstream & let set about 15 min (don't let dry) then run your surface cleaner over it. Be sure to water any plants!

Use the search feature and you'll find your answers.
    Gary Twing
    Clean Right Pro Wash, LLC
    Medford, OR
    CleanRightProWash.com

Quote Originally Posted by gtwing View Post
    Blair,

You need to set up a signature or you'll get a lot of flak. Your pricing is in line but you should downstream at least a 3 to 2 ratio (3 gal 12.5% chlorine to 2 gal water - Laundry bleach is too weak) and 5 oz. of PressureTek's Elemonator http://pressuretek.com/el1ga.html Retail store wash solutions just don't work that well. Downstream & let set about 15 min (don't let dry) then run your surface cleaner over it. Be sure to water any plants!

Use the search feature and you'll find your answers.
    Thanks for the feedback. I've created a signature.

Re: Downstreaming. Is it possible to do with my current rig, by just adding the right plumbing after the pump? Is the SOAP container in my machine basically worthless?

Re: Chlorine. Do I create the Chlorine with SH powder that people reference? And then add that mixed chlorine to a bucket (then add water and Elemonator)?

Re: Searching: I did hours and hours of scouring, which is why I grabbed the cheap EZCLEAN 15" surface cleaner (instead of wanding). Some of the terminology and applications make more sense now.

Thanks again!

Welcome Blair! Your equipment even though a little bit small is very capable of doing the job. Will just take longer. Don't purchase the big box store cleaning solutions(junk). They are watered-down, Harry the home owner garbage!!!

If you have a hard time finding 12 or so % SH, you can do the job with 8.3% however, you will need to run a stronger mix. I carry an arsenal of pump systems in my trailer for different situations. Pressure washer along with 12V pumps and a compressed air driven pump.

Your mix was much too weak for the substrate at hand.

Mike
    Michael Heward
    Coastal Cleaning Service
    Serving Central and Southern Anne Arundel County
    Millersville,MD.
    www.coastalcleaningmd.com

Pool Shock with commercial soap mix works best for us on pool decks
    Alan Hamer
    Renew Power Wash
    Tel:.... 888-791-6010
    Cell: 978-866-0526
    alan@renewpowerwash.com
    www.renewpowerwash.com

Thanks for the tips guys!
    Blair Wendell

Wendell Properties
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Wendellproperties.ca

Another Quick question:

If I want to ramp up quickly, Should i buy a 4gpm Hot water machine, or a 8GPM regular? They appear to be about the same price.

Thanks!
    Blair Wendell

Wendell Properties
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Wendellproperties.ca

Might look a little funny once they take that pool cover off.
    Power Washing Fairfax and Loudoun Counties
    www.EastCoastPW.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast