Thread: Need some advice

Squirt

Need some advice

I need some advice,and thought I turn to the group...I mainly do residential and small commercial properties. I have a 5.5 gpm hot water rig, and feel like, after 6 years I have enough experience to handle most jobs/problems that I encounter. I've made a lot of mistakes, but have learned from all of them. My reputation in the area is good and all of my business comes from referrals.

So here's the deal...I just got an RFP for 4 apartment complexes. The RFP came from a "tryout" job I did for a property management company, that a friend of mine works for. The owner of the company was impressed with the work, and told me to expect more business. Each complex is 3 stories and 10-15 buildings. I wouldn't be efficient enough with the rig I have to do it in a timely manner. I want to expand the business, but this is a huge leap. If I win the bid I'd be looking at having to buy another rig and bring on at least 2-3 employees. If each complex brings between $6-10k the job would pay for the expansion.

Am I putting the cart before the horse or is this one of those opportunities I'd be stupid to pass up? I know there are lots of details to be worked out, but I'd love some thoughts from a 10,000 foot view.
    Brian Parker
    Virginia Beach Exterior Services
    www.vbexteriorservices.com
    757-348-3073

Congrats on the opportunity. I have no real world experience/advice for you on this, but am interested to hear the responses.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Mike Rhoades
    Hogwash Pressure Washing
    Lexington, North Carolina
    www.HogwashPressureWashing.com
    www.facebook.com/HogwashPressureWashing

Quote Originally Posted by bripark89 View Post
    I need some advice,and thought I turn to the group...I mainly do residential and small commercial properties. I have a 5.5 gpm hot water rig, and feel like, after 6 years I have enough experience to handle most jobs/problems that I encounter. I've made a lot of mistakes, but have learned from all of them. My reputation in the area is good and all of my business comes from referrals.

So here's the deal...I just got an RFP for 4 apartment complexes. The RFP came from a "tryout" job I did for a property management company, that a friend of mine works for. The owner of the company was impressed with the work, and told me to expect more business. Each complex is 3 stories and 10-15 buildings. I wouldn't be efficient enough with the rig I have to do it in a timely manner. I want to expand the business, but this is a huge leap. If I win the bid I'd be looking at having to buy another rig and bring on at least 2-3 employees. If each complex brings between $6-10k the job would pay for the expansion.

Am I putting the cart before the horse or is this one of those opportunities I'd be stupid to pass up? I know there are lots of details to be worked out, but I'd love some thoughts from a 10,000 foot view.
    I would find out if there are time requirements for completion. Of there is a time limit then charge HIGH, work hard, and buy the equiomemt or 2nd seperate rig to get the work done fast as poasible. Would be good investment.

If no time limit, I would definitely hire workers to work alongside you and reinvest into your equipment for efficiency but don't go all out and an extra rig but rather makes yours better such as 8-10 gpm and 2nd pump maybe and larger buffer tank etc.

Think of the UPS. Next day air freight by noon delivery is EXPENSIVE!! 5-8 day delivery is what we consider "normal". Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Lee Jordan
    Seadrift Lawn & Home Services, LLC
    www.seadriftlawnandhome.com
    seadriftlawnandhome@gmail.com

There have been many times I've done jobs for the sole purpose of purchasing new equipment. If it were me, I'd definitely invest in new and better equipment, specifically, a 8gpm machine. It will bring you more money in the future and it never hurts to have two machines.

Squirt
    Just an update, I was awarded 3 of the 4 bids I submitted, and the 4th is being delayed until next year. Have not decided on purchasing new equipment, but leaning toward it. The jobs combined will more than pay for what I want, and would give me the opportunity to expand.
    Brian Parker
    757-348-3073

Great job, Brian. Congrats!

Great you got the job. Buy the equipment and go look to get more of them.
    Rolling Suds Inc.
    Brian Wendling
    Power washing in Pa.
    Roof Cleaning in Pa.
    http://Rollingsudsinc.com

Squirt
    Great job Brian! It's good to see more Tidewater companies on here.
    JOHN BENTLEY
    BENTLEY'S PRESSURE WASHING
    NEWPORT NEWS, VA
    757-746-7790
    LET BENTLEY'S BRING THE BEAUTY BACK!

Brian, I do a lot of apartments and buildings. If you want so info on the equipment I use, give me a call.
    Robbie Miller
    Quality Pressure Washing of Houston
    832-792-5420

Squirt
    Thanks Robbie, I'll shoot you a call.
    Brian Parker
    757-348-3073