Thread: Toning down the red in AC Oxford Brown? Or switch to Bakers?

Squirt

Toning down the red in AC Oxford Brown? Or switch to Bakers?

First, I apologize for being a homeowner on a professional forum. I simply cannot stand the DIY forums with folks on there pushing Behr products because "Consumer Reports said so". I need solid advice from people with experience. So here I am.

I have a lattice fence - PTP, about 2.5 years old, never been stained/treated. Since lattice = pain to prep and stain, I want an oil-based product that allows just cleaning and re-stain for maintenance (I'm not at all interested in sanding peeling paint off that lattice!).

I narrowed it down to Armstrong Clark, ordered some samples, and decided to go with AC Oxford Brown Semi-solid, because I wanted a darker color that didn't lean toward orange. Did a panel of the fence over the weekend, and seeing it over a larger section - it is WAY redder than I had anticipated. (I wish I had seen the photos tonyg posted back in February.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for mixing AC Oxford Brown with another color to town down the red? Are there any universal pigments I could add?

I'm also considering going back to square one and ordering some Baker's Gray Away samples. Does anyone have photos with examples of their darker colors (Dark Oak/Coffee/Ebony)? Is it as forgiving and easy to apply as AC? (I really loved applying AC!)
    Smith
    Northern VA

Super Helper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OxfordBrown View Post
    First, I apologize for being a homeowner on a professional forum. I simply cannot stand the DIY forums with folks on there pushing Behr products because "Consumer Reports said so". I need solid advice from people with experience. So here I am.

I have a lattice fence - PTP, about 2.5 years old, never been stained/treated. Since lattice = pain to prep and stain, I want an oil-based product that allows just cleaning and re-stain for maintenance (I'm not at all interested in sanding peeling paint off that lattice!).

I narrowed it down to Armstrong Clark, ordered some samples, and decided to go with AC Oxford Brown Semi-solid, because I wanted a darker color that didn't lean toward orange. Did a panel of the fence over the weekend, and seeing it over a larger section - it is WAY redder than I had anticipated. (I wish I had seen the photos tonyg posted back in February.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for mixing AC Oxford Brown with another color to town down the red? Are there any universal pigments I could add?

I'm also considering going back to square one and ordering some Baker's Gray Away samples. Does anyone have photos with examples of their darker colors (Dark Oak/Coffee/Ebony)? Is it as forgiving and easy to apply as AC? (I really loved applying AC!)
    You must be really opposed to red if it's WAY red. Perhaps pigment didn't mix up so well off the bottom of can?.. Well about only thing I could say is switch to the Rustic. It's plenty dark and no hint of red to my eye..
    Surface Interventions performed by ~Kevin T.
    Sacramento, CA
    Wood Refinishing-Pressure Washing-Concrete & Vinyl Floor Care-~~~> ..done Right!!
    mmienterprises@hotmail.com