Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck cleaning stripping

Deck cleaning stripping

I began stripping an old deck yesterday. I used F18 at 8oz/ gal let dwell then rinsed and followed with F8. This worked really well on the spindles. The decking I went over twice, the last time with a 20 min. dwell. It still has even coloration as if the stain was only surface cleaned. I did use "soft washing" tips on a J wand that I use for house washing. Didn't want to damage the wood. Need more pressure? Stronger mix? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Almost forgot. I was down streaming.

Need pictures to really see whats going on and to make a suggestion. Usually spindles are the harder part to strip. Floor may have multiple coats or.. if it was Behr stain, you could have dye left in the wood.

Solid stain, semi-transparent stain? DS'ing may not have been enough to strip. Like Ken said,.need to see pictures,...they are worth the time when seeking advice from others. The floor was maybe re-coated and along with having multiple coats ,..it could also be newer,..sometimes people will do that because the floor will give up before the spindles and they feel the need to apply another coat to the floor,..but not the spindles.

Jeff
    Jeff Wible
    Raystown Roof Cleaning
    Serving Central Pa Since 1996
    T.V Commercial

Quote Originally Posted by pressurepros View Post
    Need pictures to really see whats going on and to make a suggestion. Usually spindles are the harder part to strip. Floor may have multiple coats or.. if it was Behr stain, you could have dye left in the wood.

Thanks I'll see if I can get some pictures loaded. The floor is definitely old/original. Spindles look newer/ better shape. Seem newer than the handrail and deck.

20170610_140456.jpgHere is a photo of the decking and spindles. Not the best lighting

F-18 is not a real strong stripper. You have to apply it direct. Do a sample spot at 8 oz per gallon. You can get up to 12 oz per gallon in warm water. If you don't have a 12V spraying system, use a pumpup (not a backpack)

Quote Originally Posted by pressurepros View Post
    F-18 is not a real strong stripper. You have to apply it direct. Do a sample spot at 8 oz per gallon. You can get up to 12 oz per gallon in warm water. If you don't have a 12V spraying system, use a pumpup (not a backpack)
    Thank you for the advice. I do have a 12 volt roof pump.. i wasn't sure if it was usuable for those chemicals. So mix up 8-12 oz per gallon in my direct tank after testing and use my roof pump instead of downstream?

Also, if you dont mind me asking, what type of stronger stripper do you like. I only have experience with sherwin Williams and ppg

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan H. View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I do have a 12 volt roof pump.. i wasn't sure if it was usuable for those chemicals. So mix up 8-12 oz per gallon in my direct tank after testing and use my roof pump instead of downstream?
    Yes. (run 6-8 gallons of water through the pump back into your chem tank as soon as you can after finished). Make your acid as strong as you can and you should be able to downstream that after stripping.

I have a striipper made for me by a local chem house. Its a very concentrated sodium hydroxide/sodium metasilicate/butyl mix.
    You can ramp up the F-18 with butyl or sodium metasilicate bit you probably won't need to on that deck. (unless its a multi layered acrylic)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast