Thread: Upgrading Equipment

Upgrading Equipment

Hi everyone, started my pressure washing business last year in Sept. It's really taken off this past season and I'm looking to upgrade my equipment. I have a 3200 psi Simpson 2.5gpm now and a 15" Simpson SC. I am thinking about going hot water and getting into commercial accounts. There's only about 4 other companies locally that offer hot water powerwashing. I want to focus in storefronts mainly as there are a few chains locally that have multiple locations with gum everywhere. I'm looking at getting a 12-14' enclosed trailer and around a 4gpm 4000psi hot water pressure washer. Also would like to get a 200 gal buffer tank. From what I read, at gpm a buffer tank isn't needed (we have hose bibs on all the houses) but I'd like one for when I do commercial. Over the past yr I've done residential houses, patios, decks, and RVs. I've used Krud Kutter siding detergent and am still reading up on SH mixing. Further, as I read more about soft washing, can I used a larger skid style machine 4gpm 4000psi and just have a different tip for the nozzle with a larger orfice for lower pressure? I see that some also use a dedicated pump for soft washing. Roof cleaning is another option, many dirty roofs in Northern NY and not many guys wash em. From what I read, roof cleaners have a dedicated 12v pump for roofs due to stronger SH solutions being run for roofs. Any advice you can give would be great! Thanks!

Tyler
    Hiflow Pressure Washing
    Hiflow Pressure Washing
    Western NY
    www.facebook.com/hiflowpressurewashing

you should really do some reading and soul searching about what your looking to do. The trailer is a decent size. The buffer tank is too small if you get a decent commercial / industrial machine (5.5 - 8 or more gpm). Upgrading to 4 @4000 is a waste of time and money. You can clean much more efficiently and effectively with a better rated machine, thus making more money per hour and being able to be more competitive if need be against the others you will be bidding against. Now is a good time to look for equipment. Those that failed again this season will shortly be dumping their equipment for penny's on the dollar because they can no longer afford to be in business. If your in western NY, you have a 6-8 month season, better to maks as much as you can to survive the longer winters. Also think of incorporating something into your business model that can afford you year round business....truck washing as an example...... to keep money coming in all year.
    Just a few thoughts....
    North Jersey Softwashing
    Westwood, New Jersey
    201-383-0452
    email: NJSOFTWASHING@OPTONLINE.NET
    www.northjerseysoftwashing.com

When making your trailer purchase, if at all possible, go with a tandem!!! There are many choices for a 12-14' tandem. You will outgrow a single almost immediately!

I tried krud kutter many yrs ago and jmo, there are much better surfactants on the market. Elemonator is one which I use a lot.

A high draw injector is another big plus!!!

Mike
    Michael Heward
    Coastal Cleaning Service
    Serving Central and Southern Anne Arundel County
    Millersville,MD.
    www.coastalcleaningmd.com

Thanks guys. I should mention that this is a part time business and I'm the sole owner/operator. I'm a full time firefighter but having 4 days off in a row works out nicely to schedule cleanings. I know I have a few different avenues I could persue, still deciding which direction to go. I do like the concept of soft washing as it's more effective and much faster. I don't think I'd be able to swing the price of an 8gpm machine, although I know it'll clean faster and all. I saw the 5.5gpm on Bob's site. Could I use a machine like the 5.5gpm one and put soft wash designed tips on the end to get a lower pressure for houses? With a DS injector so I'm not running solution through the pump.
    Hiflow Pressure Washing
    Western NY

You sure can. Purchase a j-rod or two from bob and let him know your intentions. He can assist with which nozzles to load the j-rod with. You may find that going with a good selection of like #40/50 nozzles will provide a wide array of selection.

Just my opinion, for standard house washing, 0, 15 and 25 nozzles are most commonly used. So, you'd be looking at something in the range of 0050/2550 for your application nozzles. If you go with an injector bypass, you can rinse with the same nozzles.

Just be sure to go with a high draw injector... you can always dilute your mix if the injector pulls too much however, if you're not pulling enough, you'll be up the creek...

Mike
    Last edited by coastal1; 10-08-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    Michael Heward
    Coastal Cleaning Service
    Millersville,MD.

Great info thanks Mike! I also need to do research on mixing ratios. Pricing wise, is there that much of a difference between a 4gpm at 4000psi and a 5.5gpm at say 3500 psi? Also, does anyone know if a hotsy hot water skid is as reputable as the Pressure pros? Locally, there's a hotsy, karcher, mi-tm, and landa dealer all within an hr and a half from me. So many choices!
    Hiflow Pressure Washing
    Western NY

In most cases, go with as much gpm as you can afford! The 4gpm machine will never keep up with the 5.5gpm.

As for the Hotsy skid, someone else will need to join in on the conversation.

Mike
    Michael Heward
    Coastal Cleaning Service
    Millersville,MD.

Quote Originally Posted by NJWashingGuy View Post
    you should really do some reading and soul searching about what your looking to do. The trailer is a decent size. The buffer tank is too small if you get a decent commercial / industrial machine (5.5 - 8 or more gpm). Upgrading to 4 @4000 is a waste of time and money. You can clean much more efficiently and effectively with a better rated machine, thus making more money per hour and being able to be more competitive if need be against the others you will be bidding against. Now is a good time to look for equipment. Those that failed again this season will shortly be dumping their equipment for penny's on the dollar because they can no longer afford to be in business. If your in western NY, you have a 6-8 month season, better to maks as much as you can to survive the longer winters. Also think of incorporating something into your business model that can afford you year round business....truck washing as an example...... to keep money coming in all year.
    Just a few thoughts....

Best advice right there....... Nothing more I could add.
    Pressure Kleen L.L.C.
    Power Washing Service
    Tar-Heel N.C. 28392
    Guy Blackmon 910-876-1594

House Washing Fayetteville N.C.
    Pressure Washing Fayetteville N.C.
    Power Washing Fayetteville N.C.

Sounds good thanks, I'll shop around to see what suits me best and for a good price.
    Hiflow Pressure Washing
    Western NY