Thread: Shelf life of sodium hypochlorite?

Shelf life of sodium hypochlorite?

Can anyone tell me the shelf life of sodium hypochlorite? I've heard 30 days, 90 days, 1year, 2 years, no one seems to know. I know when I get it in bulk form it's pretty fresh, but what about in store bought jugs? Some times I'm out of my bulk products and need some in a pinch, so I just go to the store and get some 10% bleach. Can anyone decrypt the date stamped on this jug of bleach in the picture?

-Trent
    North West Exteriors
    Pride in your Property is my Priority!
    Trent Field
    North West Exteriors

Store bleach is 5%. Sodium hypochlorite stabilizes around 5%. Unopened that would last years. 12% however degrades rapidly when exposed to air or sunlight (maybe 2 weeks its 10%, 1 month 8%, etc until it gets around that 5% mark)

Sun and heat drop the % quickly.
    William
    Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter.

Who sells 10% in a store?

Dollar general and walmart sell a concentrated bleach that is 8%.

The way I tell is touch the tip of your finger to it and if it turns white its good if not use it on your next concrete job.
    J.C. Galmiche
    Cajun Cleanin' Powerwashing
    Daphne, Al.
    251-510-9508
    cajuncleanin@mchsi.com
    www.cajuncleanin.com
    Pressure washing Daphne,Fairhope,Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun cleanin View Post
    Who sells 10% in a store?

Dollar general and walmart sell a concentrated bleach that is 8%.

The way I tell is touch the tip of your finger to it and if it turns white its good if not use it on your next concrete job.

Pool Essentials sold at Walmart and Lowes stores, but only during spring and summer. It contains 10%.

-Trent
    North West Exteriors
    Trent Field
    North West Exteriors

Trent that's what we a;; use but is not the picture you posted. Household bleach is 5%

Quote Originally Posted by pressurepros View Post
    Trent that's what we a;; use but is not the picture you posted. Household bleach is 5%
    I know it's not the picture I used, but it's the only picture I had on my phone at the time of an expiration date, or born on date, whatever it is.

-Trent
    North West Exteriors
    Trent Field
    North West Exteriors

Store bleach is 5%. Sodium hypochlorite stabilizes around 5%. Unopened that would last years. 12% however degrades rapidly when exposed to air or sunlight (maybe 2 weeks its 10%, 1 month 8%, etc until it gets around that 5% mark)
    So basically it can last from a couple months up to a year or so depending on how it's been handled and stored?

-Trent
    North West Exteriors
    Trent Field
    North West Exteriors

I did know sunlight playing a large part in its degrading, but I was unaware common air did anything. Thanks for the tip.

-Trent
    North West Exteriors
    Trent Field
    North West Exteriors