Thread: slate roof with copper

slate roof with copper

This is my fifth try at getting this to go through. So Im eliminating most and going straight to the questions.
    I have gotten a call about a slate roof that has copper valleys and about a 20 sq. ft. area above the front porch. I have never done this type of roof and would like advice on how not to ruin the copper while cleaning the slate?
    Would rinsing it immediately take care of that? Is there something I could do before spraying roof? Would polishing copper after help with any might be damage?
    ANY helpful advice to point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated!!!
    I have done search here and roof cleaning institute and have not found much on it.
    :-[
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tim Mecum
    Carmi IL 62821
    Clear Choice Pros Inc.
    web clearchoicepros.com
    email clearchoicepros@yahoo

Re: slate roof with copper

Tim, I have done a zillion slate roofs with copper dormers, valleys, and flashings. Here is what happens. The roof cleaning mix will remove the Patina from the copper, and usually turns it bright and shiny again.
    That IS a steep ass roof, nearly impossible to clean any other way, except by shooting chemicals on it.

I feel as long as you rinse it promptly (the roof and the Copper), you will have a happy customer. Remember, the customer has no other options!

Go here http://www.slateroofcentral.com/messages/ and see my friends at Jenkins Slate Roof Forum. They are THE Experts, see what they say.

Depending on the age of the copper and how much chem will end up getting on it. Is important.
    You can certainly destroy the copper if your not careful. Let the customer know if the copper is in bad shape it may get damaged no matter what you do. If they are not willing to take that chance i wouldnt do the job. In many cases the copper can be covered or taped over but i dont see how you would do that on that steep of a roof
    Billy Jensen
    Home 2 Office cleaning and restoring new port richey fl 34652 727-243-4305

[quote author=H2O link=topic=14322.msg189005#msg189005 date=1361536136]
    Depending on the age of the copper and how much chem will end up getting on it. Is important.
    You can certainly destroy the copper if your not careful. Let the customer know if the copper is in bad shape it may get damaged no matter what you do. If they are not willing to take that chance i wouldnt do the job. In many cases the copper can be covered or taped over but i dont see how you would do that on that steep of a roof
    [/quote]
    Hi Billy ! Hey, did you ever get any of those big jobs I sent in the last few months ?
    I hope so brother! Tell Carlie I said hello, and my kid is going into DACCO inpatient treatment!

My brother has FINALLY learned how to clean roofs, but it took me forever to teach him! He is hardheaded (I think it runs in my family), but he has finally learned.

After a close look at the roof, this roof is not slate, after sending pictures to a roofing forum (thanks Chris), this roof is likely an asbestos roof! A block built into the garage showed the date as 1930. Back then this was a common roofing material, it helped out with sound and was also fire proof. It was also used in siding, after looking at some pictures online there is alot of that around here.
    I thought I read somewhere that it could bleach out if too strong of roof mix is used?
    Tim Mecum
    Carmi IL 62821
    Clear Choice Pros Inc.
    web clearchoicepros.com

I have never even heard of that type off roof let alone know how to clean it
    Billy Jensen
    Home 2 Office cleaning and restoring new port richey fl 34652 727-243-4305

I would not clean the roof myself, but I were I would clean it with a normal roof mix minus any surfactants.

[quote author=Clear Choice Cleaning link=topic=14322.msg189244#msg189244 date=1361909819]
    After a close look at the roof, this roof is not slate, after sending pictures to a roofing forum (thanks Chris), this roof is likely an asbestos roof! A block built into the garage showed the date as 1930. Back then this was a common roofing material, it helped out with sound and was also fire proof. It was also used in siding, after looking at some pictures online there is alot of that around here.
    I thought I read somewhere that it could bleach out if too strong of roof mix is used?
    [/quote]
    Cool Tim! Those guys on the forum I sent you too are all veteran roofers, and really know their stuff!
    Now, asbestos roofs are really really WEIRD !

I have cleaned only maybe 100 of them in 20 years. They last forever, but you dont see many anymore.

You can't mess around with them, you need a strong azz sokution if they are gonna clean at all! And sometimes they do (but may require 2 to 3 coats) and sometimes they don't!

Here is my favorite Mix for cleaning them. Always use TSP if you want to have a fighting chance of cleaning an asbestos roof.
    Regardless of what anyone tells you, NO other surfactant can equal, let alone come close, to the sheer cleaning power of TSP.

Just keep it OFF the paint, etc !

I like to use a 50/50 water to Chlorine solution on an asbestos roof. But, to make up a solution of asbestos roof cleaning mix, use the Apple Sauce mix, minus the Borax.

Always soak the TSP and water overnight, then add the chlorine just before you go clean. For a steep roof like that, you can add some Liquid Gain Ultra Original Scent Dishsoap to the mix for added cling and smell good.

Asbestos will soak up the mix, so you will not have the run off you expect.

Explain to your customer that it is a tough roof to clean, then do a test spot, to be sure he will be OK with the results.

Remember, it might take up to 3 coats to clean up, so don't be afraid to hit it, up to 3 times.

Smile Long time no response

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Roof Cleaning View Post
    [quote author=Clear Choice Cleaning link=topic=14322.msg189244#msg189244 date=1361909819]
    Cool Tim! Those guys on the forum I sent you too are all veteran roofers, and really know their stuff!
    Now, asbestos roofs are really really WEIRD !

I have cleaned only maybe 100 of them in 20 years. They last forever, but you dont see many anymore.

You can't mess around with them, you need a strong azz sokution if they are gonna clean at all! And sometimes they do (but may require 2 to 3 coats) and sometimes they don't!

Here is my favorite Mix for cleaning them. Always use TSP if you want to have a fighting chance of cleaning an asbestos roof.
    Regardless of what anyone tells you, NO other surfactant can equal, let alone come close, to the sheer cleaning power of TSP.

Just keep it OFF the paint, etc !

I like to use a 50/50 water to Chlorine solution on an asbestos roof. But, to make up a solution of asbestos roof cleaning mix, use the Apple Sauce mix, minus the Borax.

Always soak the TSP and water overnight, then add the chlorine just before you go clean. For a steep roof like that, you can add some Liquid Gain Ultra Original Scent Dishsoap to the mix for added cling and smell good.

Asbestos will soak up the mix, so you will not have the run off you expect.

Explain to your customer that it is a tough roof to clean, then do a test spot, to be sure he will be OK with the results.

Remember, it might take up to 3 coats to clean up, so don't be afraid to hit it, up to 3 times.[/QUOTE]

Howdy!

I know itís been YEARS since we posted to this but the original customer who contacted us about this asbestos roof sold the house without getting it cleaned & now another owner contacted us about it! We want to make up a trial mix to see if it will clean a sample like you suggested forever ago but we just wanted to check back with you about the recipe. How much TSP would you put for a 100 gallon mix of your applesauce? Your help Is greatly appreciated!
    Tim Mecum
    Carmi IL 62821
    Clear Choice Pros Inc.
    web clearchoicepros.com