Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boots of tennis shoes on a roof?

Super Helper Member

Boots of tennis shoes on a roof?

The few times I have been on a roof I have had poor traction. I usually wear redwing boots but the soles I guess are too hard. I have thought that if I get a walkable roof job soon that I will try my tennis shoes. What do you think?
    Chuck Donahue
    DONAHUE PRESSURE WASHING
    Virginia Beach,VA
    757-567-8611

Prestige Member

Re: Boots of tennis shoes on a roof?

I get good traction from an old pair of sneakers. I get great traction from boat (deck) shoes.
    Jackson MS

Extreme Video Training
    www.extremevideotraining.com
    [url=http://www.extremevideotraining.com]Video Services in Jackson MS[/url

Prestige Member

It doesn't matter what I wear because I throw a pair of rubber overboots over my boots/shoes because if I don't Love gets all over them and ruins them in short order.
    Barry Maddox-Midwest Pro Wash-Indiana

Super Helper Member

Could you turn your ankle easily on a roof with those on? I have a pair and It seems that they are not the safe way to go on a slant.
    Chuck Donahue
    DONAHUE PRESSURE WASHING
    Virginia Beach,VA
    757-567-8611

Prestige Member

I haven't had a problem with them. Their only ankle high and they fit around my other boots pretty tight. I did a roof last night that was about the steepest I've done. I think it was a 10/12 pitch I'm not sure but it was boarder line non walkable but we got it done without a problem.

The slip over booties were only $10 so I figured I'd try em. I was sick of ruining my work boots. Maybe it's the way I apply the Love but I couldn't keep it off my boots.
    Barry Maddox-Midwest Pro Wash-Indiana

Chuck, how are you applying the Roof Cleaning solution? I use the Bandit with the poly wand and I do not get my feet wet and use Asics Gel tennis shoes. They are very comfortable and grip good. I was going to buy special shoes but had to do some work on my roof and was wearing my regular tennis shoes and walked fine. I got the garden hose up there and wet the roof and still had good traction so I tried them when doing a roof job and even with the love, they grabbed good. You always have to be careful with your ankles. I have some of the top of the line Redwing boots I use at the F/T job and the walk areas are rock/gravel ditches, train tracks, uneven roads, etc... I almost twist my ankle every day but you just have to be careful. I think that there is more if a chance to twist your ankle on the ground with small indentions/obstacles you cannot see than up on the roof as it is mostly straight/flat except at the ridges. With the wand, I spray out away from me and do not try to get too close to my feet so I do not get the love on me and I have to smell it all day on my pants legs. You need to try out and see what works best for you as we all have different variables and situations that may not be the same as you. Try out the tennis shoes and be careful and see what happens. Let us know.

Prestige Member

Has anyone noticed that it's easier to walk on the wet clean roof, than the dry dirty side? Or is it just me?
    Jackson MS

Extreme Video Training

they make some type of foam soles that strap to your shoes. never tried them but curious how good are they???
    Nelson Ardon
    Ardon Roof Cleaning
    West Carrollton, OH.
    937-594-0454

Prestige Member

I thought about taking some rubber, like old mouse pads, and gluing them to the bottom of some shoes. I've recently found these:

Thorogood 633

http://reliant.igdc.com/cgi-bin/tame....ctx=Thorogood

And Cougar Paws:

http://www.cougarpaws.com/Merchant2/...;Store_Code=CP

Of course, as my wife just pointed out, you could just buy the replacement pads and glue them to the bottom of your boots.

I found a forum for home inspectors, and they were talking about these.
    Jackson MS

Extreme Video Training

I was seriously thinking of getting the Cougar Paws or the Shoes for Crews but they do not make my size as I wear a 11eeee. It sucks getting shoes and boots. I had no problem using tennis shoes on the roofs so far. Just as always, be careful and always know where the spray hose is so you do not trip on it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast