Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobs roof cleaning package

Bobs roof cleaning package

I have a couple of questions for you guys that are out there doing roofs. I'm not going into business until Sring of 2008 but I'm in the process of setting up the company right now. So here are my questions.

1 - I will mainly be cleaning ranch style homes but I do have some rather large (5,000 sq ft) two story homes with steep roofs booked for next year already. How good is the Delavan 5800 when needing to shoot from the ground?

2 - I have 2 50 gallon tanks right now, would you reccomend going bigger?

3 - When you rinse do you typically use the home owners water?

4 - Aside from what comes in the kit can you think of anything else I will need to get up and running?

Here is the link to the kit - http://www.pressuretek.com/de58secorocl.html

Thank you in advance for helping me out here. I can't wait to get out there making money so I can actually contribute to the forum as oppsed to lurking for hours a day as I do now. My business plan is done and the company is just about done being formed. Next step is insurance, lettering the truck, printing flyers and business cards, ordering yard signs then booking work in writing for next season! For those wondering, I will only be cleaning roofs when I get started. I intend on banking all the profits from year 1 so I can save up to build a nice rig ready to tackle anything that comes my way.

Again, thanks for the help and good luck to all of you.

Prestige Member

Re: Bobs roof cleaning package

Welcome! You are certainly starting off on the right foot - 1. For being here and asking questions, and 2. For lurking for hours at a time. That's the best way to learn, is to read, read, read, and using the search button.

Aside from the kit, you will need a deep cycle marine battery for the pump and a battery box to put it in. You need chemical too. Read up on that. A hose reel for the 200' of hose would be nice. Don't forget a ladder. Buy a good one. Your life could depend on it, so don't get cheap on this item. You will need an assortment of tips for the wand. We can help you out with that too. As far as shooting from the ground, with the right tip you could get 30-40ft if there is little wind.

Your tanks sound fine for now, but you'll probably grow into bigger ones later so you can do 2-3 roofs in a day without having to go home to mix up more chemical.

Important: There are many way to get a job done. People have figured out what works for them. Use that as a starting point for figuring out your methods.

Someone here probably lives within driving distance from you. Find them, make contact, and do some "Labor for Learning". You go work with them for a day. You don't get paid (But you might), but what you learn will be invaluable.

Good luck, and keep us updated. Feel free to call me if you need further answers.
    Jackson MS

Extreme Video Training
    www.extremevideotraining.com
    [url=http://www.extremevideotraining.com]Video Services in Jackson MS[/url

Thanks Jason. I am looking at ladder options right now. I might take you up on that phone call.

Prestige Member

Welcome Kyle. I know there is a great need for
    roof cleaning in your neck of the woods.
    I moved from the Canton area in July.
    Educating the public is going to be your toughest
    battle. You might want to start now targeting with flyers and
    such, to get a head start for spring.
    My buddy who bought my biz in OH IO, is about a hour from you.
    I'll talk to him about L F L for you, if interested.

Thanks Dave! Your buddy can reach me at 440.241.4842 anytime. Your right about the need for it up here but as you said its not a known service here. I have for the past few months just been knocking on peoples doors with ugly roofs to educate them about their options. I have a good week or two worth of work lined up already for the spring, not bad considering I don't even own a company yet!
    I plan on investing quite a bit in advertising to get my name out there.

Would this setup also work for basic housewashes for the time being as well or will I need something bigger and better for those that want their house cleaned top to bottom? Keep in mind using this would only be temporary, I plan on having a nice rig put together by the middle of the season.

Thanks

Kyle good luck , it will be slow at first but keep with it roof cleaning and power washing is a great business if you need any help on anything please call ,, and good luck like Jason said read read read
    A & J POWER WASHING - ANDREW MCBRIDE
    KEEPING YOUR INVESTMENT LOOKING BRAND NEW
    (410)341-4998OR (410) 430-5912
    www.aandjpowerwashing.com
    support@aandjpowerwashing.com
    RESIDENTIAL -Serving Maryland, Delaware and The Eastern Shore of Va.
    COMMERICAL- Serving MD,DE,Va,Pa,Nc

Prestige Member

I am the ONLY one here doing roofs so far. Over 1 million people in the tri-county area, and roof business is slow. But it's just because people don't know you can clean roofs. That will be the hardest thing to overcome.
    Jackson MS

Extreme Video Training

I am on in sales and on the road all day now so what I have been doing is creating a list of properties that need their roof cleaned. I currently have a list of about 300 homes very close to my house that are in a need of a roof cleaning. I basically plug their address into excel so that I can send letters out to only homes that need it as opposed to doing a bulk mail drop and hoping some homes that get the mailer need it. After each day of collecting info I do a reverse phone look up using their address. My goal is to have 500+ to mail call and knock on the door by spring but the snow on the roofs is making adding to my list pretty tough!

There are many neighborhoods around here that have streets facing the north with 100+ houese on that street alone. Many of these homes have mold issues on their roof. My plan of attack for these is to offer a roof cleaning for the cost of chem with the understanding that I am going to leave a sign in the yard as well as notify the other homeowners exactly what time I will be there if they would like to come see for themselves that it can be done!

I've also thought about having a part time sales person as well. In college my buddy and I both bought aerators and hired a sales person. We would tell the sales guy what are a to target give him a price to work off of and pay him $25 per job we complete. We made good money and so did the guy knocking on the doors.

There is also a goood size home and garden show that comes to Cleveland around Feb-Mar I beleive. I haven't looked into pricing yet but if it's affordable I'd love to have a booth there. I've been to the show a few times and they are jam packed with homeowners looking for ideas.

Long story short, I know it will be tough but I'm going to do whatever it takes to get the word out and start making some money!

Thanks guys

The Home show is a good idea, I have not done one because I don't have enough pictures yet and no video, mabe next year.

I would get a lot of the before and afters and the best ones I would take to Kinko's or similar place to get them printed out as big as possible so you can show them and people see them from far away and be something to ask you about.

I would have 2 monitors or large tv's showing lots of before/afters and video if you have it.

I would have lots of fliers, business cards, magnetic business cards, pens, etc,,, something with your name to give out so your name stays in their mind or they keep seeing it often so when they think about having work done, you will already be in their mind.

Maybe even a big fish bowl so they could enter their name and address for a drawing for a free housewash or roof cleaning. I would mention that you do not sell their information to anyone or give it out so maybe they might be more open minded to give you their info.

I haven't been prepared for one of these yet but hopefully next year.

Prestige Member

[quote author=ksa44133 link=topic=3044.msg37135#msg37135 date=1195817513]
    Thanks Jason. I am looking at ladder options right now. I might take you up on that phone call.
    [/quote]

"TBA".... That's a funny name for a business :lol: :lol: Could stand for "Total Blasting A$$&%#@" Just kiddning!
    Jackson MS

Extreme Video Training

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast