Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with over-inquizative neighbors

How to deal with over-inquizative neighbors

On Sat. we were on a shingle wash in a nice neighborhood where people get out & walk and talk with each other, exact reason I like doing res. on Sat. About 30 mins in two of them walked over giving the usual Q&A session. The one from directly across the street asks "exactly what are you using so I can clean mine?"...

Being my usual quick-whited self & having a natural gift of being a good BS'r I replied to him that it was a specially formulated blend of chemicals that aren't readily available to the general public. He gave the deer in headlights look & said he had tried to clean his himself & didn't work (I glanced at his house then back at him with a no chit Sherlock look). He then states that he was gonna try a product that a local roofing co. sells (they're in the business of selling new roofs, so good luck on that I'm thinking). I gave him a card and told him I'd gladly give a free estimate when that doesn't work.
    Jason W. Jones
    Hi-Temp Hydro Power Washing
    Serving Middle Tennessee
    (931) 581-6426
    hitemphydro@gmail.com

Prestige Member

Re: How to deal with over-inquizative neighbors

You need to start using the cleaning solutions I use. They are easy to remember names and put the HO a little more at ease. "Jim's magic roof wash" (house wash - gutter cleaner - you get the point)

If they persist, I tell them its not available to the general public and explain how I am the ONLY one in the area that is using Customized Soft Washing Techniques & Cleaning Solutions mixed on-site to meet EACH properties INDIVIDUAL cleaning needs. :thumbsup:

Amazing how homeowners think you will just give away your operations to them for free - simply amazing. I had a neighbor ask me what I was using to prep wood before priming - and I told her it was a trade secret - she was really mad at me! But that's my livelihood, I earned that information and knowledge.
    Daniel Tambasco
    (978)749-9808
    'Oh, they're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.' -George Hanson, Easy Rider

Prestige Member

Ive had alot of folks say stuff like that. Ya gotta love the do it yourselfers!
    Your right about the roofing co but this guy is looking for the cheap way out. He will never spring for a new roof.
    I would have started by telling him:

1- It is a special blend of commercial grade materials that has been approved by the ARMA.
    2- Putting the wrong solutions on your roof can damage the surface rather than help it.
    3- Bring up the dangers of doing it yourself. ( falling, slipping etc...)
    4-Explain that you kill the algae and mold and that other products only wash them off but still leave spores and roots to grow back.

In essence, leave him with alot more to think about than what he was thinking about before he saw you. :thumbsup:
    All Surface Pressure Cleaning Inc.
    Saint Petersburg Florida 33716
    Larry Millette 727-543-3276 727-543-3276
    www.aspc.us
    www.allsurfacepressurecleaning.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-olM...pSj0ZtHpl-jHDR http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine.....727-543-3276

He'll look across the road, see the new look on the roof & remember what it looked like before too.

[attachment deleted by admin]
    Jason W. Jones
    Serving Middle Tennessee
    (931) 581-6426
    hitemphydro@gmail.com

Prestige Member

that looks good. Why is your ladder stand off on the wrong side of the ladder?

Prestige Member

[quote author=JC link=topic=5535.msg72399#msg72399 date=1218464003]
    [/quote]
    I think its an optical illusion Jim.... OK after looking again I do believe your right!
    Nice job on the roof. Yea! He'll look at that and then look at his and think.... :bash:
    All Surface Pressure Cleaning Inc.
    Saint Petersburg Florida 33716
    Larry Millette 727-543-3276 727-543-3276
    www.aspc.us
    www.allsurfacepressurecleaning.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-olM...pSj0ZtHpl-jHDR http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine.....727-543-3276

That roof looks good, that should sell them. I'm with the other guys on the stand off, the bar with the arms should be under the ladder.
    John Doherty
    Garden State Mobile Wash, LLC

New Jersey Power Washing, Roof Cleaning and Exterior Cleaning Services

[quote author=JC link=topic=5535.msg72399#msg72399 date=1218464003]
    [/quote]

Good eye! I'd like to say I do it that way because..., but truth is I put it on with the ladder on the trailer & didn't pay attention to it until I went to raise it. I realized though if you or someone that is working with you is a tad bit skiddish about climbing off the top of the ladder standoff putting on like that might give them an added sense of security because it puts the ladder closer to the working surface.

I know somebody's gonna say "you ain't got no business up there bein' skiddish", to them I say the day you feel totally comfortable climbing off is the day you'll get hurt. Be carefull out there.
    Jason W. Jones
    Serving Middle Tennessee
    (931) 581-6426
    hitemphydro@gmail.com

Prestige Member

That's like going to St. Louis and asking Budweiser for the EXACT recipe so you can make Bud at home!
    Jackson MS

Extreme Video Training
    www.extremevideotraining.com
    [url=http://www.extremevideotraining.com]Video Services in Jackson MS[/url

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast