Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $ per hour vs. % of the job

Re: $ per hour vs. % of the job

[quote author=pressurepros link=topic=4607.msg59817#msg59817 date=1210558351]
    What you guys may be missing in your equation is the incentive to work faster thus complete more jobs. Once everyone is up to speed I expect to be completing four more jobs per week @$1000 average. Could I have accomplished the same thing being a taskmaster in the field? Perhaps. But I can only be in one place at a time. Like I said, I am almost convinced. The burden on me is to make sure that I am not underselling labor or underestimating how long something like a hard deck strip will last. If I bill at 4 hours and it takes six, the guys on the job will be getting a raw deal. Keeping records has been a PITA since many of the guys (all the laborers) are run through an agency. I have yet to find a perfect system. In most cases either a guy is motivated to work or he isn't. No amount of pay will sway that.
    [/quote]

Like you said Ken no perfect system. Like I said I couldn't bothered paying a percentage, I'm not saying it wouldn't work great for some, but just not me. I actually feel I would be making less. I understand incentive and all, but employee retention ( good employees ) is whats helping me make a lot more on a lot less hours worked per job. Its rare nowadays to find anyone motivated to work hard, so the percentage thing I just think wouldn't be a great fit and its opens me up to the guys rushing the job and screwing up or not doing it to the proper standards. I know you have to inspect and safe guard against that. I just think its few and far between that you actually find guys motivated enough to want to work for the %. Then I would have some on percentage, some hourly.

I had 5 guys from last year and a couple of them have been with me 2-3+ years. I have 4 employees now from last year I canned one of the 5. These guys now know exactly how to do the type of work we do, they know what I expect and MOST of the time they do it right, but since they have been doing it day in and day out, they have become pros at it and VERY fast. I just cant see giving them a chunk of my profit. I have worked hard to establish a crew and the crew trains the new guys too and the new guys are getting trained quicker, so if I can get them to do everything good & quick on hourly, why give them %?

No lie, there are some projects we are doing in a 1/4, 1/3 & yes HALF the time, I'm talking 10K - 20K projects that now are taking 1 week instead of 2 or more weeks, If I was paying on percentage (however it figures out) I would be MAKING LESS $$$$ this year

I know percentages could work for some, I have worked on piece work in the past and made a killing, guess I am just getting to be one of the greedy bosses, hell I love it, More projects done in less time especially less overtime and more money in my pocket

Just depends what works best per individual company. We do 20 big buildings starting Tuesday It took 9 days last year, this year it will take 5 days at most, I love it!, bumped everyones pay up $1 - $2 an hour this year, they are happy and I am too> I could never figure percentage with 5-6 guys on the same project, even if I was just giving it to my top guys, but you know me I am a dumb ass when it comes to paper work

Prestige Member

I agree with you Jeff. I am the one taking all the risk with starting a business, knowing the job/work and also knowing the business end of everything. When I get to the point of needing employees I will pay them as little as possible. If they prove their worth, they will get more. Maybe a bonus at the end of the season.

I think a %age could work well with an employee that has been around for a few years and really proven his worth and his willingness to help MY company grow.

Its certainly a tough call with both methods having their pros and cons. I remember working in a factory after school for $4/hr minus taxes and I busted hump for four hours per night from age 16 to 18. The pph was never the incentive, I was grateful to have a job and spending money. The problem is, people that have a work ethic usually already have a job. I'm playing with this system to lure the higher end of the labor pool. The biggest problem with pph is that a crew leader doesn't have the proper incentive to motivate his helper. Me yelling and screaming when all jobs are not completed at the end of the week just causes me stress and doesn't change anything. The employees still get their pay and I feel dry raped. By the same token if the leader is planning on getting 6 jobs done that week and a helper's dilly dallying on every job is taking money from his pocket, he has to step up and become a true time manager. If I play hard ball and keep firing guys myself and Jason will spend more time being human resource managers and field production falls further. I'm just looking for a solution. All you guys reading this.. stay small or go big.. in between is difficult and takes a long time to refine.

Super Helper Member

I pay by % of job on all residential jobs - this is where they leave an invoice for the howmeowner. If I paid by the hour I believe that the number of jobs would be reduced thus putting less money in my pocket at the end of the day. I have four guys out hustling now - all capable of performing work to my standards, all capable of talking to and retaining customers and all trustworthy.

Commercial work is a different story nd we do a lot of commercial.

Mike V
    The Dean of Clean
    All American Pressure Cleaning
    Savannah, Georgia
    www.CleanSavannah.com
    912-308-8544
    www.MowSavannah.com

[quote author=pressurepros link=topic=4607.msg59846#msg59846 date=1210594726]
    Its certainly a tough call with both methods having their pros and cons. I remember working in a factory after school for $4/hr minus taxes and I busted hump for four hours per night from age 16 to 18. The pph was never the incentive, I was grateful to have a job and spending money. The problem is, people that have a work ethic usually already have a job. I'm playing with this system to lure the higher end of the labor pool. The biggest problem with pph is that a crew leader doesn't have the proper incentive to motivate his helper. Me yelling and screaming when all jobs are not completed at the end of the week just causes me stress and doesn't change anything. The employees still get their pay and I feel dry raped. By the same token if the leader is planning on getting 6 jobs done that week and a helper's dilly dallying on every job is taking money from his pocket, he has to step up and become a true time manager. If I play hard ball and keep firing guys myself and Jason will spend more time being human resource managers and field production falls further. I'm just looking for a solution. All you guys reading this.. stay small or go big.. in between is difficult and takes a long time to refine.

[/quote] Ken, good advice. Chris
    Chris Mccloud
    Samson Power Washing
    Saint Rose, La.

A commision always makes your employees work harder for you. It'll motivate him to make his own money instead of taking his time. Great on him for asking you also shows a lot of courage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123