Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof Cleaning Certification Test Questions ?

Re: Roof Cleaning Certification Test Questions ?

[quote author=Peerless link=topic=5476.msg71525#msg71525 date=1217803296]
    I wish you luck appleman with the RCIA.

Honestly, I feel trades are better governed by apprentice programs.
    A trade like electric or plumbing needs a program.

Roof cleaning is a easy service that really, is not a trade IMO.
    A few weeks ago on a job we were cleaning a roof and the next door neighbor was also cleaning her roof herself. She had a pump up sprayer etc.
    We were called to come clean the exterior of that job about a week later.
    I went and hit the doorbell and had to tell her how good a job she did.

You need to make the test about marketing IMO.
    Teach them how to price, then teach them how to market.

Cleaning a roof has to be the easiest challenge I have ever faced in any job I have had.
    If you need to be taught how to clean a roof after you have cleaned a few dozen then I don't think you
    have a chance as a biz owner.

Shouldn't we be "teaching" each other on these boards via networking anyway?

Pounding they need a fat hose all day into these noobies heads really isn't what a noobie needs.
    A noobie needs to know how to stay alive when its slow. A noobie needs to know how to sell roof cleaning.
    A noobie needs business skills not hwo to clean a roof.

If you don't know how to clean a roof why the heck are you opening a roof cleaning biz?
    This is not a high skill "trade", its dangerous shit work that nobody wants to do. Believe it or not folks,
    bleach kills mold and algae, all you gotta do is introduce it to the mold/algea....she has never let me down.

There is my .o2 for you Chris. Good luck.... bring on the insults.

[/quote]
    GREAT Points Thomas !
    Just trying to get the testing and Certs done Thomas.
    THEN, I envision a "by the book" pricing structure we can ALL be happy with.
    AND, some marketing training as well!!!

Look at Mechanics Tom.
    My stepdad was one, we owned the old Gulf Gas Station at hwy 60 and 78th street in Tampa.
    Mecahnics WERE cutting each others throats, NO one was making money.
    THEN, the NIACE,, National Institute For Automotive Service Excellence came to be.
    Mechanics got certified, and then everyone started using book pricing.

ALL Roof Cleaners NEED to band together, and STICK to suggested pricing, like Mechanics do.

Mechanics did it, perhaps we can too ?

The other stuff you suggested is in the plans, thank you for your input!

[quote author=CCPC link=topic=5476.msg71537#msg71537 date=1217810255]Roof cleaning is a trade because you are selling it as a service, for a profit, that makes it a trade.
    [/quote]

After reading that, I now know that prostitution is a "trade." :lol:

Thanks for the enlightenment, Lance.
    Don Phelps
    All Seasons Exteriors, Inc.
    Non-Pressure Roof Cleaning
    Orlando, Florida
    (407) 579-4026
    www.floridaroofcleaners.com
    www.roofcleaningforums.com

Super Helper Member

[quote author=All Seasons Exteriors link=topic=5476.msg71547#msg71547 date=1217812553]
    [quote author=CCPC link=topic=5476.msg71537#msg71537 date=1217810255]Roof cleaning is a trade because you are selling it as a service, for a profit, that makes it a trade.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Like it or not, prostituition is a trade.

[quote author=Apple Roof Cleaning link=topic=5476.msg71546#msg71546 date=1217812428]
    [quote author=Peerless link=topic=5476.msg71525#msg71525 date=1217803296]
    I wish you luck appleman with the RCIA.

Honestly, I feel trades are better governed by apprentice programs.
    A trade like electric or plumbing needs a program.

Roof cleaning is a easy service that really, is not a trade IMO.
    A few weeks ago on a job we were cleaning a roof and the next door neighbor was also cleaning her roof herself. She had a pump up sprayer etc.
    We were called to come clean the exterior of that job about a week later.
    I went and hit the doorbell and had to tell her how good a job she did.

You need to make the test about marketing IMO.
    Teach them how to price, then teach them how to market.

Cleaning a roof has to be the easiest challenge I have ever faced in any job I have had.
    If you need to be taught how to clean a roof after you have cleaned a few dozen then I don't think you
    have a chance as a biz owner.

Shouldn't we be "teaching" each other on these boards via networking anyway?

Pounding they need a fat hose all day into these noobies heads really isn't what a noobie needs.
    A noobie needs to know how to stay alive when its slow. A noobie needs to know how to sell roof cleaning.
    A noobie needs business skills not hwo to clean a roof.

If you don't know how to clean a roof why the heck are you opening a roof cleaning biz?
    This is not a high skill "trade", its dangerous shit work that nobody wants to do. Believe it or not folks,
    bleach kills mold and algae, all you gotta do is introduce it to the mold/algea....she has never let me down.

There is my .o2 for you Chris. Good luck.... bring on the insults.

[/quote]
    GREAT Points Thomas !
    Just trying to get the testing and Certs done Thomas.
    THEN, I envision a "by the book" pricing structure we can ALL be happy with.
    AND, some marketing training as well!!!

Look at Mechanics Tom.
    My stepdad was one, we owned the old Gulf Gas Station at hwy 60 and 78th street in Tampa.
    Mecahnics WERE cutting each others throats, NO one was making money.
    THEN, the NIACE,, National Institute For Automotive Service Excellence came to be.
    Mechanics got certified, and then everyone started using book pricing.

ALL Roof Cleaners NEED to band together, and STICK to suggested pricing, like Mechanics do.

Mechanics did it, perhaps we can too ?

The other stuff you suggested is in the plans, thank you for your input!
    [/quote]

I am glad I can be instrumental in the building of RCIA.

As you know we are a very busy roof cleaning company in tampa.
    We clean many roofs a day, sometimes doing up to 6 in one day!

We have extensive experience cleaning roofs for HOA and large community cleanings.
    Our tampa roof cleaning truck is equipped to take down roofs and take them down fast.
    I am looking at another truck right now in fact for after summer.

I would like to comment on a couple statements you made above....

You absolutely cannot compare roof cleaning to mechanics.
    They are two very different industries.

One is a luxury and one is a need. You need that plumber; Mrs Havacamp can live without a roof cleaning.
    You must SELL Mrs. Havacamp that service; she needs her roof cleaned like you need a hole in your head.
    How many times have you gone to the mechanic and tried to barter or play him after he quoted you $1000 bux for a job?(maybe you) Most women and men for the sake of argument that I service would say "when can I pick it up"

"I'll give you $750, mr clean said he will do it for 750 and do my driveway" I bet a lot of folks here get that response after an estimate.
    Now, any homeowner with three brain cells left knows that everyone and there brother pw's and roof cleans and or they get two or three pw'ng co's competing because they know most are business retards!

Another point to make is you will never EVER get all roof cleaners to band together on pricing.
    I will tell why...

If I can conduct business better than you (meaning making more $$) and offer a service that is easier on the pocket for my clients than company X, well what would you expect a biz owner to do then?
    It is DIRT CHEAP to get into this biz, and costs pennies compared to the overhead of a mechanic shop.

Mr clean (I hope we have no mr cleans I'm not doing this intentionally and don't want to disrespect)
    may have a yugo with a delevan and 5/8 garden hose pushing applesauce out of a barrel in the back seat.
    Costing him a whopping $30 to run his show all day offering the same thing as you!
    Now you and I know how much gas we eat running all over tampa. My gas bill is usually over 400 a week sitting next to a very nice love bill and don't forget I am a legit co paying all the expenses trying to enable my son to grow up in the same manner I did. Mr.clean may be some pill head trying to score some oxy and a 12 pack living in a shithole in the oldest neighborhood. See what I mean?

Also, you have people that are educated in business and understand what it takes to turn over a dollar
    and then you have folks (90%) that are CLUELESS with running a small biz in this industry. Stupid is stupid does that is why this industry has a 10% success rate my friend. Most folks that have $$$ for a biz or are educated are not looking to get into roof cleaning, hence the 10%.

I better stop now because I know I lost 90% of the readerís attention spans halfway through. :lol: :lol:

[quote author=CCPC link=topic=5476.msg71556#msg71556 date=1217816738]
    [quote author=All Seasons Exteriors link=topic=5476.msg71547#msg71547 date=1217812553]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's not about "like it or not", it's about you trying to make roof cleaning sound like so much more on the one hand, and so much less on the other.

Enlighten us.
    Don Phelps
    All Seasons Exteriors, Inc.
    Non-Pressure Roof Cleaning
    Orlando, Florida
    (407) 579-4026
    www.floridaroofcleaners.com
    www.roofcleaningforums.com

I followed you.
    And, it probably is only a dream we will all stick to suggested prices too.
    The Prob Thomas, as I see it, is this biz is too EASY to get into.
    For under 300 bucks, some hack can be out bustin our balls.

The second one goes away, two more pop up :thumbsdown:

Many are not on equal playing fields as you and I, some are early retirees, some are 4 day work week guys making an extra buck, etc, etc.

Many have no intention of learning how to market this business.

Their only desire is to figure out how to do it, so they can bust our ballz.

I know where you are coming from Thomas, this is your livelyhood, like it is mine.

[quote author=CCPC link=topic=5476.msg71556#msg71556 date=1217816738]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL and they are all out working hard out "WHORING" each other because they are idiots!
    perfect example of pw'ng!

Why do you think some of the folks on these boards have 40 employees, run several trucks and make a lot of $$ during a pretty bad economy? Is it because they are certified pw's or because they know how to market?

Do you think it is because they have a big hose? Or can clean really fast? That comes with experience!

Do you think the biggest roof cleaning company in florida was successful because they added something to
    their chlorine? No, it's because they knew how to turn a dollar. Three locations and what 40 trucks does not come from knowing how to spray bleach on a roof and wash it off with a garden hose pressure.
    I would bet the farm those biz owners would be VERY successful at whatever biz they opened.

Marketing people, the best marketing lesson you can have is right under your nose right now.
    Wake up, some of you must wake up and say "baaaaaahh" .

[quote author=Apple Roof Cleaning link=topic=5476.msg71562#msg71562 date=1217817861]
    I followed you.

Many are not on equal playing fields as you and I, some are early retirees, some are 4 day work week guys making an extra buck, etc, etc.

I know where you are coming from Thomas, this is your livelyhood, like it is mine.

[/quote]

And you market it very well Chris.

If you really want to "teach" roof cleaners I know EXACTLY what needs to be in the sylibis; Teach them how to make a number one website like yours.

Teach them how to write for search engines like you do chris.

Answer this question for me Chris PLEASE?

Do you think a noobie roof cleaner needs to know how to spray a roof faster or how to market roof cleaning?

Prestige Member

Marketing is the key. Most people don't realize that their roof can be cleaned
    in most areas.
    In my area in Ohio, majority of people had no clue what was even on their roof.
    Here in MB SC, more people know about it but, most are from the north and have
    no clue.
    That's the hardest part, educating the customer. So your marketing has to be the key.
    I can tell them I'm certified, but they won't care and I feel that's how it is in most of the US.

[quote author=Peerless link=topic=5476.msg71564#msg71564 date=1217818282]
    [quote author=Apple Roof Cleaning link=topic=5476.msg71562#msg71562 date=1217817861]
    I followed you.

[/quote]

And you market it very well Chris.

If you really want to "teach" roof cleaners I know EXACTLY what needs to be in the sylibis; Teach them how to make a number one website like yours.

Teach them how to write for search engines like you do chris.

Answer this question for me Chris PLEASE?

Do you think a noobie roof cleaner needs to know how to spray a roof faster or how to market roof cleaning?
    [/quote]
    HONESTLY ?
    They need to market it Thomas.
    The certification is one way to give the average guy a BULLET to use.
    Something to "set him apart" from the average hack.

I created a sub forum from the start to address this VERY need http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spa...437469&p=2

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast