Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof Cleaning Certification Test Questions ?

Re: Roof Cleaning Certification Test Questions ?

[quote author=A-PLUS link=topic=5476.msg71565#msg71565 date=1217818743]
    Marketing is the key. Most people don't realize that their roof can be cleaned
    in most areas.
    In my area in Ohio, majority of people had no clue what was even on their roof.
    Here in MB SC, more people know about it but, most are from the north and have
    no clue.
    That's the hardest part, educating the customer. So your marketing has to be the key.
    I can tell them I'm certified, but they won't care and I feel that's how it is in most of the US.
    [/quote]
    David, a number one website is great, WHEN people are searching for roof cleaning!
    You guys up north must CREATE a market

[quote author=Apple Roof Cleaning link=topic=5476.msg71546#msg71546 date=1217812428]
    Look at Mechanics Tom.
    My stepdad was one, we owned the old Gulf Gas Station at hwy 60 and 78th street in Tampa.
    Mecahnics WERE cutting each others throats, NO one was making money.
    THEN, the NIACE,, National Institute For Automotive Service Excellence came to be.
    Mechanics got certified, and then everyone started using book pricing.

ALL Roof Cleaners NEED to band together, and STICK to suggested pricing, like Mechanics do.

Mechanics did it, perhaps we can too ?

The other stuff you suggested is in the plans, thank you for your input!
    [/quote]

Wow, look at your post from TGS, on 6/16/08 in this thread.
    http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/...fications.html

NIASE certifies Mechanics, yet they are not united.

"In my many years of cleaning roofs, some of us in Tampa "united" in the past.
    Many years ago, a meeting was called for "unification", price fixing would be a better name for it.
    Several of us "agreed" on fixed prices, until we realized the organizer of this "unification" got us to raise our prices, while he lowered his.
    It cost me, and several other roof cleaners, a LOT of money, it taught me a lesson.
    The lesson that this is a competitive business."

Let me guess, I posted this and you didn't??? :-[

As you guys can see, apple likes to try his chameleon crap often.

You noobies should go ahead and get "certified." :lol: :lol: :lol:

........next!
    Don Phelps
    All Seasons Exteriors, Inc.
    Non-Pressure Roof Cleaning
    Orlando, Florida
    (407) 579-4026
    www.floridaroofcleaners.com
    www.roofcleaningforums.com

Boy Don, can't we ever "talk shop" w/o you just LOOKING for some way to find some "contradiction".
    Man, this is getting OLD
    Yes, we TRIED it before, and it did NOT work.

That WOULD have been brought up, HAD the thread went that way.
    It did not.

Thomas brought up a great point, seconded by David, that Marketing was more important.

That WAS the way the thread was moving, Thomas did not like the idea of price fixing, so everybody moved on.

Except YOU

We are "Bench Racing" here, brainstorming, throwing out IDEA'S, not "absolutes".

NOTHING is "set in stone" Yet.

Chill

[quote author=Apple Roof Cleaning link=topic=5476.msg71569#msg71569 date=1217819773]
    [quote author=Peerless link=topic=5476.msg71564#msg71564 date=1217818282]
    [quote author=Apple Roof Cleaning link=topic=5476.msg71562#msg71562 date=1217817861]
    I followed you.
    And, it probably is only a dream we will all stick to suggested prices too.
    The Prob Thomas, as I see it, is this biz is too EASY to get into.
    For under 300 bucks, some hack can be out bustin our balls.

The second one goes away, two more pop up :thumbsdown:

Many are not on equal playing fields as you and I, some are early retirees, some are 4 day work week guys making an extra buck, etc, etc.

Many have no intention of learning how to market this business.

Their only desire is to figure out how to do it, so they can bust our ballz.

I know where you are coming from Thomas, this is your livelyhood, like it is mine.

[/quote]

And you market it very well Chris.

If you really want to "teach" roof cleaners I know EXACTLY what needs to be in the sylibis; Teach them how to make a number one website like yours.

Teach them how to write for search engines like you do chris.

Answer this question for me Chris PLEASE?

Do you think a noobie roof cleaner needs to know how to spray a roof faster or how to market roof cleaning?
    [/quote]
    [size=10pt]HONESTLY ?[/size]
    [size=10pt]They need to market it Thomas.[/size]
    The certification is one way to give the average guy a BULLET to use.
    Something to "set him apart" from the average hack.

I created a sub forum from the start to address this VERY need http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spa...437469&p=2

[/quote]

Well if you are going to be honest, why haven't you been "teaching" that?

Folks, there is NO SILVER BULLET to success!
    Either you know how to turn a dollar and sell or you sit at home with your fat hose in your hand.

I don't know how you could teach someone to be a professional.
    Sadly, anyone who gets paid for something is a professional.
    I won't say the act of roof washing is easy, maybe though, just the concept.
    Playing golf is an easy concept but that doesn't mean you are going to be good at it.
    I think what we really need to be teaching is professionalism, which is different. I think this would go hand in hand with marketing. But marketing only gets you the job.

How do you deal with customers; their question; their complaints (already mentioned) in a manner that sets you apart from the hack?
    How do you present yourself as a professional, visually and aurally?
    How do you protect yourself, employees, and customers in a way that they feel safe?
    What can you do or how can you handle yourself so that even a bad job or situation still ends up a repeat customer?

I will say this, I realize that we lose jobs to hacks because of price, but every now and then I bet we lose jobs because the hack acted and presented himself more professionally that the pro.

I personally like to watch college sports more than pro sports because I feel like the college guys want to be there more and work harder. I think the same can be said in any profession.

Anyway that is just some of my thoughts.
    McIntoshWorks
    307 King St
    Ridgely TN 38080
    Mcintoshworks@hotmail.com

[quote author=Apple Roof Cleaning link=topic=5476.msg71572#msg71572 date=1217820859]
    Boy Don, can't we ever "talk shop" w/o you just LOOKING for some way to find some "contradiction".
    Man, this is getting OLD

It did not.

Thomas brought up a great point, seconded by David, that Marketing was more important.

That WAS the way the thread was moving, Thomas did not like the idea of price fixing, so everybody moved on.

Except YOU

We are "Bench Racing" here, brainstorming, throwing out IDEA'S, not "absolutes".

Chill [/quote]

Blah, blah, blah......You're outta gas!
    Don Phelps
    All Seasons Exteriors, Inc.
    Non-Pressure Roof Cleaning
    Orlando, Florida
    (407) 579-4026
    www.floridaroofcleaners.com
    www.roofcleaningforums.com

[quote author=Peerless link=topic=5476.msg71573#msg71573 date=1217820980]
    [quote author=Apple Roof Cleaning link=topic=5476.msg71569#msg71569 date=1217819773]
    [quote author=Peerless link=topic=5476.msg71564#msg71564 date=1217818282]
    [quote author=Apple Roof Cleaning link=topic=5476.msg71562#msg71562 date=1217817861]
    I followed you.
    And, it probably is only a dream we will all stick to suggested prices too.
    The Prob Thomas, as I see it, is this biz is too EASY to get into.
    For under 300 bucks, some hack can be out bustin our balls.

The second one goes away, two more pop up :thumbsdown:

Many are not on equal playing fields as you and I, some are early retirees, some are 4 day work week guys making an extra buck, etc, etc.

Many have no intention of learning how to market this business.

Their only desire is to figure out how to do it, so they can bust our ballz.

I know where you are coming from Thomas, this is your livelyhood, like it is mine.

[/quote]

And you market it very well Chris.

If you really want to "teach" roof cleaners I know EXACTLY what needs to be in the sylibis; Teach them how to make a number one website like yours.

Teach them how to write for search engines like you do chris.

Answer this question for me Chris PLEASE?

Do you think a noobie roof cleaner needs to know how to spray a roof faster or how to market roof cleaning?
    [/quote]
    [size=10pt]HONESTLY ?[/size]
    [size=10pt]They need to market it Thomas.[/size]
    The certification is one way to give the average guy a BULLET to use.
    Something to "set him apart" from the average hack.

I created a sub forum from the start to address this VERY need http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spa...437469&p=2

[/quote]

Well if you are going to be honest, why haven't you been "teaching" that?

Folks, there is NO SILVER BULLET to success!
    Either you know how to turn a dollar and sell or you sit at home with your fat hose in your hand.
    [/quote]

This is true.
    Over the years, I have seen many come and go due to inability to market their services.
    A web site is only ONE part of a marketing machine.

Look at Roof Butler and Squeaky Clean Thomas, where are they ?

THEY ranked highly, yet they are gone.

It is a mistake to think you can get a web site, push it to top of rankings, and sit back and collect.

You MUST have a customer base, and a network to SEND you business.

Yes, my web site is number one, but I HAVE been on the second and third pages before.

Though I am number one, as "powerful" as I am, I can't STOP shoppers from going back down the other listings, and they DO.

I got in this business EARLY, as did Mark and Dawn McGee.
    They do not even advertise, yet they are slammed!

Over TIME, you develop a "name".

While I DO feel a web site is important, it is no substitute for direct sales skills.

You MUST be able to catch fish, even when they "aren't biting".

Just like Fishing Thomas, 10 percent of the fisherman catch 80 percent of the fish.

Why, because they chum, go to places where fish are, and know what they are doing.

I POUNDED doors, and walked streets with flyers, and did demo's.

I DO teach doing that, and suggest networking, and share my bullets and headline ideas.

I even SHARE the art work on my OWN business cards with others.

As for "magic bullets" there are few, just plain old determination, and hard work.

[quote author=All Seasons Exteriors link=topic=5476.msg71575#msg71575 date=1217821264]
    [quote author=Apple Roof Cleaning link=topic=5476.msg71572#msg71572 date=1217820859]
    Man, this is getting OLD

It did not.

Except YOU

Chill [/quote]

Blah, blah, blah......You're outta gas!
    [/quote]
    Maybe so, but I GOT a Good Cigar and some SCHLITZ.
    Can't GET that in Orlando, LOL
    Well, you can go to that HUGE walk in Humidor, get a GREAT Cigar, but you CAN'T Get Schlitz !!
    Schlitz has gone BACK to the original formula, back when it was the number one selling Beer in USA.
    Aaaah, that was Good

Prestige Member

Marketing, educating, marketing. That's the key.
    I tell my customers about my labor for learning with Barry M. and I will tell
    my customers for tile roof cleaning about my LFL with Don.
    So I think this certification thing is kinda funny.
    Chris you should have a back room to the your forum and help with marketing
    and things like that. That way you could keep locals out and help others out of your area.
    I'm not trying to a smart a$$. You've helped alot of people, just like Don and Thomas has.

[quote author=McIntoshWorks link=topic=5476.msg71574#msg71574 date=1217821082]
    I don't know how you could teach someone to be a professional.
    Sadly, anyone who gets paid for something is a professional.
    I won't say the act of roof washing is easy, maybe though, just the concept.
    Playing golf is an easy concept but that doesn't mean you are going to be good at it.
    I think what we really need to be teaching is professionalism, which is different. I think this would go hand in hand with marketing. But marketing only gets you the job.

How do you deal with customers; their question; their complaints (already mentioned) in a manner that sets you apart from the hack?
    How do you present yourself as a professional, visually and aurally?
    How do you protect yourself, employees, and customers in a way that they feel safe?
    What can you do or how can you handle yourself so that even a bad job or situation still ends up a repeat customer?

I will say this, I realize that we lose jobs to hacks because of price, but every now and then I bet we lose jobs because the hack acted and presented himself more professionally that the pro.

I personally like to watch college sports more than pro sports because I feel like the college guys want to be there more and work harder. I think the same can be said in any profession.

Anyway that is just some of my thoughts.
    [/quote]

I will try to answer the question as best as I can brother:

hehe I will open with this one though : "Playing golf is an easy concept but that doesn't mean you are going to be good at it."

Have you ever played golf before? I have been playing for 29 years and carry a +2
    handicap when I was at my best (+2 is 2 UNDER PAR not 2 as in 2 OVER PAR) and my tournament money earnings are in the RED BIGTIME!

Ok enough bullshit lemee try to help..

"How do you deal with customers; their question; their complaints (already mentioned) in a manner that sets you apart from the hack?"

I have experience working in a professional atmosphere teaching and serving very well respected members of the community. Many of my clients say I am very "polished" after they look at the other guy. And I am not speaking about clothes. I will show up in one of my overworked bleached out company shirts with fli flops on and close before my competitor writes down the clients phone #.

"How do you present yourself as a professional, visually and aurally?"

Refer to my response above. Although, I do try to keep my clothes and appearance clean, when my company is at full throttle I am working and answering the phone all day and doing estimates untill 10pm at
    night. I am trying to get off of the wand, but atm we are treating that like we are opening a new business,
    right now is not a good time for me to launch that plan.

"How do you protect yourself, employees, and customers in a way that they feel safe?"

I'm not sure I understand you totally here but I will try. I am insured fully and pay very close attention to all details leaving no stone unturned ,<--(is that even a word?lol)
    Meaning if you work for me you better listen and pick up very quickly what I tell you to do.
    And when I am working for you, you will know you got your money's worth.

"What can you do or how can you handle yourself so that even a bad job or situation still ends up a repeat customer? "

I have a perfect example:
    We did two big tile roofs that were neighbors in nice gated community.
    I asked them (they were active on the HOA) if they thought it would be ok if I put my nice shiny very pro looking doorhangers on a few homes. They replied with "we get them everyday go ahead"

Next day phone rings..
    "who do you think you are coming in here soliciting with these doorhangers?"
    To make a long story short, I was totally honest with the guy about how it went, did his driveway for nothing and cleaned his roof and his neighbors. Remember, I do have experience putting out fires at very high end jobs working for a BOD. This shit is like taking candy from a baby to me.

I used to compete with the hacks, I don't anymore. The only time I will compete with a hack is if I need to keep the ball rolling or I want the neighbor. My clients or the clients I want, don't use hacks.

I hope I helped.
    thomas

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast