Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roof chemicals

Re: Roof chemicals

Mixing incompatible surfactants with chlorine is another risk factor of sh usage. I would only suggest that contractors perform due diligence before indiscriminately concocting something which may produce a hazardous reaction.

This is especially important if you are cleaning concrete or roof areas in which you may be placed in the vapor "line".

Tim mentioned in an earlier post to gauge wind direction and so forth. That is particularly important when approaching the edges of roofs as the updraught is unpredictable and swirly.

Add a pair of swim goggles to your safety kit along with an appropriate respirator.

Your health is priceless!
    Chip Crow
    SoftWash Inc.
    Florida Panhandle
    1-866-216-3399

A simple Ph stick will give you the reading you are looking for....a Draeger tube will not only qualify presence of a chemical...but will also qualify amount on a ppm scale.

When one uses SH one must be diligent not to mix chems....NO BUCKET CHEMISTRY!!!!!! It's easy to concoct a solution that is not only harmful to the home you work on, but your airway as well. Gentlemen...I have been a member of my FD Hazmat team for twenty years and have seen the craziest things happen.....chemicals can kill of used incorrectly or without proper PPE. Be vigilant about your health...it's YOURS to keep or lose.
    Steve Swindle
    Firehouse Pro Clean
    Camarillo, CA 93012
    (805) 857-3371

[quote author=stevieray link=topic=6276.msg83230#msg83230 date=1225588255]
    A simple Ph stick will give you the reading you are looking for....a Draeger tube will not only qualify presence of a chemical...but will also qualify amount on a ppm scale.

When one uses SH one must be diligent not to mix chems....NO BUCKET CHEMISTRY!!!!!! It's easy to concoct a solution that is not only harmful to the home you work on, but your airway as well. Gentlemen...I have been a member of my FD Hazmat team for twenty years and have seen the craziest things happen.....chemicals can kill of used incorrectly or without proper PPE. Be vigilant about your health...it's YOURS to keep or lose.
    [/quote]

Steve we are going after the ppm's ......I just wonder how different the readings will be with temp, humidity, and sh % ........

I've seen people mix muriatic acid and chlorine together on more than one occassion. When the dog can hardly breath when you are walking through the front door you know you have problems. Luckily for us we were well prepared and had on proper PPE. Thats why I started this thread. It amazes me how some people on here have all these different concoctions and really have no clue what they are mixing and the short and long term effects. Some of the answers you get on here are down right crazy. Its the guys on here that have proven methods and safe practices is the ones I listen to. Trust me its not a joke. I have seen many people in my career that have all sorts of breathing problems.
    Exterior Attack Pressure Washing
    Melbourne, Florida 32934
    (321) 243-1796
    Ken D'Amato
    Email:exteriorattack@yahoo.com
    Firefighter Owned & Operated

I meant to say the Draeger tubes "Quantify", not just qualify.....they will you give you a PPM reading.....but you must remember that it is sort of a sliding scale due to being outdoors. A true atmospheric reading is only completely correct in a confined space.....time of day, wind and temp and humidity all come into play outdoors and of course, we do our work outdoors. Your Draeger tube will give you a reading for that moment and in that space, so use it with that understanding.

As for bucket chemistry......be very careful what you mix. Chlorine and acids will make Hydrochloric acid gas and will do some seriously bad booga on your azz!!!!! Seen it, it aint pretty. Also remember that one of the key things to chemicals is the concentration.....for example: Hydrogen Peroxide in the commonly found household solution is at 3%, but that same stuff on the higher end....say 60% and above becomes crazy unstable....it is the "per" in the oxide that tells us it has extra oxygen molecules and wants to give them off to create a stable state....so it is actually volatile stuff...it is an "oxidizer". This is just one thing and Hydrogen Peroxide (H30) is a good bleaching agent.....dentists use it on teeth...at a lower concentration of course...but that is my point......the "concentration" of an agent is everything.

So gentlemen.....tread carefully in the chemical world and always.....always, use your PPE....it WILL save you!!!!
    Steve Swindle
    Firehouse Pro Clean
    Camarillo, CA 93012
    (805) 857-3371

[quote author=Exterior Attack PW link=topic=6276.msg83236#msg83236 date=1225589702]
    I've seen people mix muriatic acid and chlorine together on more than one occassion. When the dog can hardly breath when you are walking through the front door you know you have problems. Luckily for us we were well prepared and had on proper PPE. Thats why I started this thread. It amazes me how some people on here have all these different concoctions and really have no clue what they are mixing and the short and long term effects. Some of the answers you get on here are down right crazy. Its the guys on here that have proven methods and safe practices is the ones I listen to. Trust me its not a joke. I have seen many people in my career that have all sorts of breathing problems.
    [/quote]
    The big issue is how you apply the chem. I have seen guys X jet the roof from a ladder (the chems were blowing back in his face) and some "back Pack" the chems. The best is low PSI spray system. doing a roof is no different then a house as far as the chems go...

BTW I sent you an Email a month ago and you never responded......
    Franks Power Washing
    McKinney Texas
    hleckert@msn.com
    214 563 2468

Prestige Member

Here is a link to an accident that shows what can happen when your not careful with your chems. :-[
    http://www.sptimes.com/2004/01/17/Hi...ly_burne.shtml

Anyone who is in this industry should study and understand what the chemicals they are using can and can't do and which can be mixed and which Can Not be mixed together. We all need to be safe out there. I like coming home at the end of the day. How b'out you guys? :thumbsup:
    All Surface Pressure Cleaning Inc.
    Saint Petersburg Florida 33716
    Larry Millette 727-543-3276 727-543-3276
    www.aspc.us
    www.allsurfacepressurecleaning.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-olM...pSj0ZtHpl-jHDR http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine.....727-543-3276

Frank,

I got your email and I did respond back to you. I will send it again.

Ken
    Exterior Attack Pressure Washing
    Melbourne, Florida 32934
    (321) 243-1796
    Ken D'Amato
    Email:exteriorattack@yahoo.com
    Firefighter Owned & Operated

[quote author=Frank link=topic=6276.msg83328#msg83328 date=1225668457]
    [quote author=Exterior Attack PW link=topic=6276.msg83236#msg83236 date=1225589702]
    [/quote]
    The big issue is how you apply the chem. I have seen guys X jet the roof from a ladder (the chems were blowing back in his face) and some "back Pack" the chems. The best is low PSI spray system. doing a roof is no different then a house as far as the chems go...

BTW I sent you an Email a month ago and you never responded......
    [/quote]

The big difference is the ratio is much stouter for a roof than a home. Therefore, requiring more safety measures. IMO X- Jets and ladders don't mix well either.
    Chip Crow
    SoftWash Inc.
    Florida Panhandle
    1-866-216-3399

Prestige Member

[quote author=stevieray link=topic=6276.msg83301#msg83301 date=1225650012]
    Chlorine and acids will make Hydrochloric acid gas[/quote]

Correction: There is no such animal as Hydrochloric acid gas. Gasseous Hydrogen Chloride (HCl) mixes with water (often that in your lungs) to make aqueous Hydrochloric acid. That said, mixing most acids with chlorite/chlorate solutions releases Chlorine gas (Cl2) which can also be deadly.

[quote author=stevieray link=topic=6276.msg83301#msg83301 date=1225650012]
    Hydrogen Peroxide (H30) is a good bleaching agent....dentists use it on teeth[/quote]

Correction: Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2. It decomposes into 2(H2O) + O2

Dental concentration is about 12%. And it poses such a significant burn hazard to soft tissues that the gums must be coated with a protectant prior to application.

Hydrogen peroxide at concentrations of 30% and greater can be used as an oxidizer. Concentrations above 50% react with organics hydrocarbons (i.e. roof tar/asphalt shingles) to form very dangerous shock sensitive primary explosives. Concentrations about 70% can be use by themselves as a rocket propellant.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -
    Samuel Adams

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast