Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caustic Soda

Re: Caustic Soda

I was comparing the caustic to American Building Restoration's (ABR) Fast Finish Remover. This is a Potassium Hydroxide based stripper/remover and has 19% Potassium Hydroxide according to the manufacturers MSDS on their website. They recommend that it be used 4 parts water to 1 part FFR. Therefore, the operating % is recommended to be somewhere @ 3.8% if my math is correct. Now I cannot figure out the math for reducing the 50% solution to that level when mixed with water, although I estimate that it would be 2.5 times what the FFR was, so 10 gallons water, 1 gallon of 50% solution caustic or am I way off on this?? Some of the chemical math wizards should chime in here.......
    North Jersey Softwashing
    Westwood, New Jersey
    201-383-0452
    email: NJSOFTWASHING@OPTONLINE.NET
    www.northjerseysoftwashing.com

Prestige Member

Who lit up the bat signal...

Without the labels, I'm having to assume it's 50% w/w and not a 50% cut of what it was in a bigger container. That said;
    Russ's hot mix is 13.1% His normal mix is 8.8%. Mix your liquid about 1:3 for hot, 1:4 for normal.
    Scott's mix is about 6.25%. Mix your liquid about 1:7 for this strength.

IIRC, Potassium Hydroxide is used at different rates that SH.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -
    Samuel Adams

Philip, thanks for sharing, last question tho...is that an x-jet-able mixture or would that be "pumped" or "sprayed" at those ratios?? Thanks again, Mike.
    North Jersey Softwashing
    Westwood, New Jersey
    201-383-0452
    email: NJSOFTWASHING@OPTONLINE.NET
    www.northjerseysoftwashing.com

Prestige Member

All of those mixes are xjettable.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -
    Samuel Adams

I think it is good for all of us to use this chemical where ever possible

California Hood Sales

[quote author=Jason link=topic=772.msg8138#msg8138 date=1172461221]
    I've too found the caustic soda beads. Believe it or not, 1 phone call was all it took, and I'm STILL trying to find 12% SH
    [/quote]

http://www.helenachemical.com/locati...locations.aspx try that place...23 miles from jackson. They sell it for 139.00/55gal here. Don't know if that price is good or bad though.
    Charles Bernstein

Denton Md
    Talbot Pro-Wash
    Low Pressure House & Roof Cleaning
    www.talbotprowash.com
    charles@talbotprowash.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123