Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breathing SH when DS

Prestige Member

Re: Breathing SH when DS

Ant,
    I don't want to sound like a homeopathic guru, because I am not. But I have had great success with the antioxidant Resveratrol. For many it improves endurance, for some it does nothing for endurance, but it is a powerful antioxidant none the less. Check it out. I have been taking it for about three months now. I can tell a difference mostly in my short term endurance. Example: I often run three miles in the morning (either outside, or on the treadmill), and I can do so in about 30 minutes with no problem. Yet I have always gotten short of breath when my cardiovascular system was not given enough time to adjust to increased demand, like when I have to go quickly from my basement to the second floor to soothe a crying child. After taking the resveratrol for a few months now I don't get winded at all from the short bursts. I am not claiming that it repairs lung tissue, because it does not. But it is thought to improve the way your mitochondria use oxygen from your blood, thus making your body work more efficiently with what it has. And like I previously mentioned, it is also a strong antioxidant in its own right. It is derived from the skin of grapes and some oceanic roots. It is in fact the grape's first defense against environmental oxidation. Also, some research shows that fish oil can also inhibit the synthesis of inflammatory eicosanoids that lead to damaged lung tissue and lung disease. These studies have mostly been surrounding the health of Northwestern Native Americans who have diets high in fish oils that are rich with Omega-3.

Prestige Member

[quote author=dlopuszynski link=topic=7893.msg129133#msg129133 date=1260892100]
    I can't even smell the stuff any more.[/quote]

That just means you have burned up your nose already.

Guys, it doesn't matter what you smell or don't smell. Doesn't matter if you DS or x-jet. What matters is that you are inhaling a corrosive chemical daily and destroying your lungs. And chems are being absorbed through your lungs and your skin and destroying your body. Yes, respirators SUCK in the summer. But wear your PPE anyway or when you finally start to take this seriously (because you are dying), it won't be funny anymore.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -
    Samuel Adams

Super Helper Member

Its gonna make for some funny looking tan lines in the summer.

I havent gave it much thought when washing houses but I wont go without a respirator roof cleaning. If youre around that stuff too long you can tell its taken your breath away.

Speaking of safety. I even bought a couple of face sheilds and a first aid kit. Next up is another fire extinguisher and ladder supports.

Prestige Member

[quote author=moody1 link=topic=7893.msg134238#msg134238 date=1268131827]
    I have had great success with the antioxidant Resveratrol. ... And like I previously mentioned, it is also a strong antioxidant in its own right. [/quote]

I gotta point out here that there is a world of difference between combating free radicals (oxidizers) naturally occurring in the body and protecting yourself from chemical substances labeled "oxidizers". Particularly when one is present in micrograms as a byproduct of respiration, and the other present in pounds as a result of bathing in it. i.e PWers taking anti-oxidants to protect against occupational exposure is like pissing on a forest fire.

[quote author=cmturner link=topic=7893.msg129215#msg129215 date=1260968835]
    Hey Ant is there any of the little disposable breathing filters that will work for the SH. I have a big respirator that I use some times doing night work, mainly for caustic but i don't want to scare the heck out of a home owner with a full blown respirator while washing their house if I can avoid it.[/quote]

To answer your question, no.

As for scaring the homeowner; First, you don't ever let an uneducated homeowner dictate safety protocol. That's just crazy. Would you not bring a fire extinguisher when sweating pipes because it might scare the customer? Second, explain to the customer the difference between occasional exposure and occupational exposure. I like to use home pesticides vs. a pest control professional as an example because they get that.

[quote author=apple link=topic=7893.msg134241#msg134241 date=1268143451]
    Speaking of safety. I even bought a couple of face sheilds and a first aid kit. Next up is another fire extinguisher and ladder supports.[/quote]

Don't forget a couple of bottles of buffered saline eye wash. You can flush with tap water for the first few minutes, but beyond that you're dong more harm to your eye by pulling out sodium. Switch to the saline at that point.

And now the safety trivia question of the day.

Q:You're washing a house and you get straight 12% in your eyes. You're in horrible pain and you cannot open your eyes at all. No one is around to call for help. What do you do?

A: Use your HP hose like a guide rope (wires and all...) and follow it back to your trailer. There you can open your tank dump and use the flow as an emergency eye wash station. You did install a 1.5" dump on your tank, right?
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -
    Samuel Adams

Prestige Member

[quote author=Philip93 link=topic=7893.msg134244#msg134244 date=1268144279]
    [quote author=moody1 link=topic=7893.msg134238#msg134238 date=1268131827]
    I have had great success with the antioxidant Resveratrol. ... And like I previously mentioned, it is also a strong antioxidant in its own right. [/quote]

I gotta point out here that there is a world of difference between combating free radicals (oxidizers) naturally occurring in the body and protecting yourself from chemical substances labeled "oxidizers". Particularly when one is present in micrograms as a byproduct of respiration, and the other present in pounds as a result of bathing in it. i.e PWers taking anti-oxidants to protect against occupational exposure is like pissing on a forest fire.
    [/quote]

I was not trying to suggest that it will counteract the damage that is being done to your lungs, or that it can replace proper PPE. I was just suggesting it because Ant mentioned that he still has trouble with breathing and/or coughing after having physically trained for a long period of time. I just feel that it is worth a try for its potential to increase oxygen efficiency for some people. I only mentioned its antioxidant qualities to point out that the worst case scenario is that you are taking a good antioxidant even if you do not get any other benefits from it.

Prestige Member

[quote author=moody1 link=topic=7893.msg134249#msg134249 date=1268150085]
    I was not trying to suggest that it will counteract the damage that is being done to your lungs, or that it can replace proper PPE.[/quote]

I know that you weren't. I just didn't want someone to half read your post and infer that...
    Samuel Adams

Super Helper Member

[quote author=apple link=topic=7893.msg134241#msg134241 date=1268143451]
    Speaking of safety. I even bought a couple of face sheilds and a first aid kit. Next up is another fire extinguisher and ladder supports.[/quote]

Don't forget a couple of bottles of buffered saline eye wash. You can flush with tap water for the first few minutes, but beyond that you're dong more harm to your eye by pulling out sodium. Switch to the saline at that point.

And now the safety trivia question of the day.

Q:You're washing a house and you get straight 12% in your eyes. You're in horrible pain and you cannot open your eyes at all. No one is around to call for help. What do you do?

A: Use your HP hose like a guide rope (wires and all...) and follow it back to your trailer. There you can open your tank dump and use the flow as an emergency eye wash station. You did install a 1.5" dump on your tank, right?
    [/quote]

Thanks for the tip on the eye wash.

As for what id do if I got straight sh in my eyes.... There a good chance I might scream like a hell, take off running straight into a tree, and knock myself out cold. lol you never know.

Yeah ive got 3 different dumps on the trailer. 2" 1" and a 3/4".

As a ex fireman..........Sh spill equals fireman to be on Air tanks period for the clean up. Use respirators...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123