Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for those that know about ratios

Question for those that know about ratios

I don't know if I am thinking correctly but wanted some opinions.

If you put 1 gallon of chemical "A" into 4 gallons of water then the ratio is 4:1 (water to chemicals).

Now, if you downstream that mix with a downstreamer, say that pulls 10:1 does that make the "A" chemical mix coming out of the gun a 14:1 or something else like 40:1?

What is the ratio of the original chemical "A" now when diluted then downstreamed?

I have not done a test yet, I am thinking of using some food coloring to see the color difference and also try to time it and try to figure out what the final ratio is.

Any ideas?

Prestige Member

Re: Question for those that know about ratios

It actually makes the original chemical 55:1 . In 4:1 mix you actually have five gallons, making your Chemical "A" 1/5 of the total solution. If you downstream at 10:1 (if it's a true 10:1), then your original chemical would technically be coming out at 54:1 (50 from the water supply, 4 gallons of water from your mix, and 1 from chemical "A&quot. The best way to know (because 10:1 is often not 10:1) is to fill up exactly one gallon (or five gallons for a more accurate test), and downstream it while spraying your pressure end into a holding tank with accurate measures. How many total gallons do you have in the holding tank when your DS container is finally empty? Example: If you have a total of 15 gallons, then your DS ratio is 14:1 (assuming you did the 1 gallon test), which means if you put 1 gallon of SH with 4 gallons of water in a 5 gallon container (4:1), and downstreamed it at that ratio, then you would actually be downstreaming the SH at 74:1 (70 gallons from your supply, 4 gallons of water from your DS mix, and 1 gallon of chemical "A" from your DS mix). I hope this helps. These are your true ratios. Many people forget to count the water from their DS container, or they don't multiply the "y" side in the x:y ratio.

Prestige Member

Mike, you crossed ratios on line 2. 10:1 = (45 supply, 4 water, 1 chem). What you described was 55:5.

Chris:
    It may helps if you convert to percentage. 1 gallon of chem in 4 gallons of water (5:1), yields 5 gallons of post-mix at 20% concentration. If you then downstream at 10:1 (10%), you multiply 20% * 10% to yield 2%.

If you like fractions: 1/5 * 1/10 = 1/50 and 1/50 = 2%

I give a BIG +1 on actually testing ratios in situ. Even if you do the math right, you can never be sure that your equipment is labeled properly (10:1 vs 11:1) or drawing at stated rate.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -
    Samuel Adams

Prestige Member

[quote author=Philip93 link=topic=9412.msg126382#msg126382 date=1257255341]
    Mike, you crossed ratios on line 2. 10:1 = (45 supply, 4 water, 1 chem). What you described was 55:5.

Chris:
    It may helps if you convert to percentage. 1 gallon of chem in 4 gallons of water (5:1), yields 5 gallons of post-mix at 20% concentration. If you then downstream at 10:1 (10%), you multiply 20% * 10% to yield 2%.

If you like fractions: 1/5 * 1/10 = 1/50 and 1/50 = 2%

I give a BIG +1 on actually testing ratios in situ. Even if you do the math right, you can never be sure that your equipment is labeled properly (10:1 vs 11:1) or drawing at stated rate.
    [/quote]

I don't mean to be argumentative or to make the topic even more confusing, but by your def. Philip 1 gallon of chem with 4 gallons of water (toatl of 5 gallons) yeilds 5:1, and that is not true. You are right that it is 20%, but it is not 5:1, it is 4:1. 1:1=50%, 2:1=33%, 3:1=25%, and 4:1=20%. By your description, 2:1 would equal 50%, which is not correct. If I am wrong, then please explain it to me.

Prestige Member

http://www.coolantconsultants.com/mi...ercentages.htm

How to Calculate percentage if mix ratio is known

Divide 1 by the total number of parts (water + solution).
    For example, if your mix ratio is 8:1 or 8 parts water to 1 part solution, there are (8 + 1) or 9 parts. The mixing percentage is 11.1% (1 divided by 9).

Need another example?
    If your mix ratio is 4:1 or 4 parts water to 1 part solution, there are (4 + 1) or 5 parts. The mixing percentage is 20% (1 divided by 5).

Common Mixing Ratios to Produce Gallons or Liters
    Ratio 1 Gallon 5 Gallons 10 Gallons
    2:1 H2O Chem H2O Chem H2O Chem
    4:1 0.66 0.33 3.33 1.66 6.66 3.33
    4:1 0.75 0.25 3.75 1.25 7.5 2.5
    10:1 0.9 0.1 4.5 0.5 9 1
    20:1 0.95 0.05 3.75 0.25 9.5 0.5

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -
    Samuel Adams

I disagree with both Philip and Mike..

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I don't know if I am thinking correctly but wanted some opinions.

If you put 1 gallon of chemical "A" into 4 gallons of water then the ratio is 4:1 (water to chemicals). Chris, this would be the first dilution. The chemical would be one fourth of the mix or 25%.

Now, if you downstream that mix with a downstreamer, say that pulls 10:1 does that make the "A" chemical mix coming out of the gun a 14:1 or something else like 40:1? Now you are taking the above mix and breaking it down again. So you are taking that 25% dilution and dividing it by ten. So now its a 2.5% dilution.

What is the ratio of the original chemical "A" now when diluted then downstreamed?

I have not done a test yet, I am thinking of using some food coloring to see the color difference and also try to time it and try to figure out what the final ratio is.

Any ideas?
    When diluting two separate times, you multiply the two ratios together.
    4:1 mixed down again to 10:1 = 40:1

Expressed as a fraction:
    1/4 x 1/10 = 1/40 or a final mix of 1:40

The second number in a ratio represents the whole (or the final dilution)

1:4 is one part to a total of 4 parts. Or.. 1 part chemical to three parts water.

Prestige Member

[quote author=pressurepros link=topic=9412.msg126387#msg126387 date=1257256968]
    I disagree with both Philip and Mike.[/quote]

You and I don't disagree. I'm just saying that 4 gallons of water and 1 gallon of bleach is 5:1 (20%), while you're saying that 4:1 is three gallons of water and one gallon of bleach is 4:1 (25%). Same thing.
    Samuel Adams

I disagree with both of you, 1 gallon of bleach to 4 gallons of water is expressed as 1:4. The way I was taught about ratios
    was when you have a ratio expressed as A:B it is A parts so and so to B parts this and that - and the total was A+B=Total parts.

How else would you interpret a ratio of say 3:2 'Three parts water to Two parts chemical' and you add up both sides to get the
    total of the parts.
    Daniel Tambasco
    (978)749-9808
    'Oh, they're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.' -George Hanson, Easy Rider

Prestige Member

[quote author=plainpainter link=topic=9412.msg126390#msg126390 date=1257258364]
    1 gallon of bleach to 4 gallons of water is expressed as 1:4[/quote]

Sorry Dan, but this is wrong. Check the links above. You can go find another dozen like it if you google.
    Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast